I am new to this hobby. I just want to know are these parts compatible?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
You should be able to power 5 servos with that ESC. If you are doing 3d flying then it may need a separate BEC, but that's only if you are really moving the sticks fast. You either want a smaller motor, or a larger ESC since the motor draws 30 amps, and I always like to have a 10 amp buffer from the ESC's rating and the motor's max amp draw, just in case the manufacturer is lying or inconsistent, especially with the cheap ones. The battery seems like it may be a little small, it really depends on what plane you're making. You may want a 2200 mah 3s, or an 1800mah 3s. It really depends on the plane. As for transmitters, unless you're on a really tight budget or just trying out the hobby I'd recommend getting a 6 channel Spektrum, Frysky, Graupner, Futaba, or any other well known brands. If you are only trying out the hobby, Hobbyking sells really cheap 4 channel transmitters, and Flysky sells cheap ones too, you just never know if you'll be able to get a refund when it doesn't work (in my case I wasn't). For chargers, I don't recommend getting the cheapest possible ones since it won't charge your battery the best way sometimes, and that dramatically shortens lipo life. I first got a 18 USD charger and used it for about a year. All of the lipos I charged with it died about half a year later. I've had my Prodigy for 2 years, and all the lipos I've charged with that much more frequently have yet to die. I recommend the Protek Prodigy which only costs around 50 bucks. It's very capable, and it can also discharge lipos. Welcome to the Hobby :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
All of the components you listed will work together. The ESC doesn’t have any connections, you will need to source then elsewhere and solder them on. Or look for an ESC with the proper connectors already installed.

Most tests I’ve seen suggest a 9g servo will draw 3/4 of an amp at full draw. Your ESC will supply 4 amps to the servos,

Regarding chargers, I’ve had excellent results with the IMax B6, the changer itself runs on 12v. There is a version with a built in 12v power supply and runs on 120v.

Here s a thread with good information regarding transmitters.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/which-transmitter-you-should-buy.37966/

M4RT1N1

You should be able to power 5 servos with that ESC. If you are doing 3d flying then it may need a separate BEC, but that's only if you are really moving the sticks fast. You either want a smaller motor, or a larger ESC since the motor draws 30 amps, and I always like to have a 10 amp buffer from the ESC's rating and the motor's max amp draw, just in case the manufacturer is lying or inconsistent, especially with the cheap ones. The battery seems like it may be a little small, it really depends on what plane you're making. You may want a 2200 mah 3s, or an 1800mah 3s. It really depends on the plane. As for transmitters, unless you're on a really tight budget or just trying out the hobby I'd recommend getting a 6 channel Spektrum, Frysky, Graupner, Futaba, or any other well known brands. If you are only trying out the hobby, Hobbyking sells really cheap 4 channel transmitters, and Flysky sells cheap ones too, you just never know if you'll be able to get a refund when it doesn't work (in my case I wasn't). For chargers, I don't recommend getting the cheapest possible ones since it won't charge your battery the best way sometimes, and that dramatically shortens lipo life. I first got a 18 USD charger and used it for about a year. All of the lipos I charged with it died about half a year later. I've had my Prodigy for 2 years, and all the lipos I've charged with that much more frequently have yet to die. I recommend the Protek Prodigy which only costs around 50 bucks. It's very capable, and it can also discharge lipos. Welcome to the Hobby :)
Where can I get that charger because I am from Europe

M4RT1N1

All of the components you listed will work together. The ESC doesn’t have any connections, you will need to source then elsewhere and solder them on. Or look for an ESC with the proper connectors already installed.

Most tests I’ve seen suggest a 9g servo will draw 3/4 of an amp at full draw. Your ESC will supply 4 amps to the servos,

Regarding chargers, I’ve had excellent results with the IMax B6, the changer itself runs on 12v. There is a version with a built in 12v power supply and runs on 120v.

Here s a thread with good information regarding transmitters.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/which-transmitter-you-should-buy.37966/
https://www.amazon.de/Akozon-Digita...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1 Is this original?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’ve always bought the cheapest IMax changer I could find. I’m sure I got the knockoffs. They are cheap enough that I run 8 of them and have a few spares laying around if one goes bad.

Now I don’t have to wait long for my batteries to change.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Where can I get that charger because I am from Europe
I don't know. If you can find anyone in Europe who knows about online hobby retailers one of them should have it since it's a really popular charger. I don't think it's on Amazon either.

M4RT1N1

I’ve always bought the cheapest IMax changer I could find. I’m sure I got the knockoffs. They are cheap enough that I run 8 of them and have a few spares laying around if one goes bad.

Now I don’t have to wait long for my batteries to change.
How do I know that the charger I order is original?

M4RT1N1

How large should I make my make my plane?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
How do I know that the charger I order is original?
Sorry, I don’t know of any way to tell the difference between a genuine Imax B6 and a knockoff.
I’ve always bought the cheapest one I could find, likely a knockoff. They have worked well for me.

M4RT1N1

Sorry, I don’t know of any way to tell the difference between a genuine Imax B6 and a knockoff.
I’ve always bought the cheapest one I could find, likely a knockoff. They have worked well for me.
What is the difference between JST-XHR and JST-XH.? Because I see lipos with both. Which should I choose?

Last edited:

Flyingshark

Master member
What is the difference between JST-XHR and JST-XH.? Because I see lipos with both. Which should I choose?
I have a charger with a JST-XH port and batteries with JST-XHR plugs, but I haven't had problems plugging them in. They seem virtually the same to me, although there's probably some sort of minor difference.

With this battery FT even says in the title it's JST-XH, but in the description they call it a JST-XHR. :shrug:
https://store.flitetest.com/tattu-3s-lipo-battery-45c-11.1v-1800mah-jstxh-tat1800-111-45c/p453510

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I've not heard of the XHR style. I agree with @Flyingshark, I've never had an issue with a balance plug fitting.
Here is a good video for the common plugs used in the RC world.