CranialRectosis' Polakium Engineering Super Simple Spider Hex build

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I have a paid account, but if I recall, I believe it's the same. Go to video 'settings', then to 'privacy'. You'll then be given multiple choices, a few are, "Anyone", "Only me", "Hide this from Vimeo.com", Only people with a password", etc.

Vimeo also has a tutorial page with tons of links and tools on how to tweak your vids.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Youtube is free and has ads, Vimeo is for professionals wanting to show their work - no ads before, after, or on top of videos, but possibilities to stream on demand and earn money from that.

Vimeo is not social media, but a professional video streaming plattform.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I got the Great Pumpkin out to the local park today to range test that receiver. I had broken the antennae and had to re-solder it to the board. By the time I got there the wind was doing 20mph with gusts up to 40mph. I learned today how to fly with one hand. The other hand holding my hat.

Gotta love horizon mode on the MW boards like this NAze 32.

The copter will handle some wind. I had to dip it and give it some stick but this copter will cut into a stiff breeze. I didn't want to try any real acro in that much wind and I still have the stick scalings at 100 (marshmallow mode), but I was able to see what the throttle will do. I also learned about stopping a copter that has been running fast with the wind.

The receiver works at the far end of the local baseball field. Not just the diamond but all the way over the outfield fence from the bleachers works and that really is farther than I can see the thing and keep orientation. I am really starting to think Fat Shark...

kah00na

The receiver works at the far end of the local baseball field. Not just the diamond but all the way over the outfield fence from the bleachers works and that really is farther than I can see the thing and keep orientation. I am really starting to think Fat Shark...

On my F450, I was using FatShark Attitudes and a Turnigy 9x and flew so far away that I outflew the range of the 9x but not the Fatsharks. I got a nice clear view of the sky as I crashed and I had a long walk to retrieve it. I'm going to move up to a DragonLink and 1.3 ghz vtx and see if I can push my range a little more. It is real fun to fly FPV but don't end up neglecting the LOS. I flew with another guy a week ago LOS and we both had a great time! It is challenging to watch mine and another person's at the same time. We both said that if we crashed into each other in the air, just seeing it happen would be worth the repair costs! :D

FYI, I'm following your hex progress with envy.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I get to fly today!!!!

After weeks of 50mph + wind speed days, we can finally go outside again. My wife is digging in her garden and I am practicing flips and rolls with my copters. I even broke out a rack of baby back ribs to grill tomorrow assuming the wind tomorrow won't be trucking along enough to blow out my gas BBQ.

I put a 2200mah lipo (without a camera) on the Hex today and flew it hard. I got 9:48 out of it before the lipo alarms triggered at 3.7 on a cell. During that flight, I screamed around the yard pulling spins and flips and rolls. The Naze 32's horizon mode makes flips and rolls extremely simple to pull off, MUCH easier than flipping a KK2 in acro mode.

I don't intend to forever fly in Horizon mode but learning to catch a copter from a flip is much easier when you have autolevel working for you.

My 1800 mah is nearly charged. I am thinking of re-attaching the mobius and flipping that around the yard for a while to see if I can make myself sick on the video. :)

It feels like Christmas today! After weeks, the weather has finally cleared, my thoughts are happy, the pixie dust is flowing and I can fly, I can fly, I can fly!!!

cranialrectosis

Mentor
One other thing of note. If you fly an acro hex, buy a LOT of rotors. You can break 6 at a time...

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I get to fly today!!!!

After weeks of 50mph + wind speed days, we can finally go outside again. My wife is digging in her garden and I am practicing flips and rolls with my copters. I even broke out a rack of baby back ribs to grill tomorrow assuming the wind tomorrow won't be trucking along enough to blow out my gas BBQ.

It's it great :D I've got the same thing going for me - though our winds were only in the 40's for the most part ;)

Of course we've got 100 degree temps in exchange...but it's not windy so I'm going flying! Nothing like calm air and new toys!

cranialrectosis

Mentor
So I lost orientation and crashed into a tree. I have a string of orange LEDs on order from Amazon. I'm just getting too old to see the little copters well enough especially in low light.

Six rotors broken, one zip tie broken, Naze 32 motor signal pins bent.

I took the opportunity to try the 3 bladed rotors.

CompleteWithTriBlades.JPG

The copter is wicked quick, but the motors get pretty warm. The screws that bolt the motors to the frame get pretty hot.

I may need 6 SunnySkys and run the 6045 rotors to really max this bird out...

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Video or it didn't happen :)

I'm not sure about MRSS but if you order the Naze 32 from abusemark.com you can select straight or angled pins and have arrive unsoldered. I just order straight as I have a supply of angled pins and solder it to suit the copter it's going in. As you can see on my Warpquad build log you can get them pretty compact if needed.

SS2204's and 6x4.5 HQ's would make that thing rock (4.5kg of thrust using HQ props) but would you get clearance for the front rotors or rotor to rotor clearance? Besides, there are some new motor choices out now that running on 4s will make the SS2204's look slow :eek:. I hope to test a design in my head not too far down the track but weighing up which two motors I want. The one I really want isn't out yet so can't confirm performance figures but the one that is out has about 30% more top speed than the SS2204's and this is the slower one :cool:.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Six rotors broken, one zip tie broken, Naze 32 motor signal pins bent.

I took the opportunity to try the 3 bladed rotors.

The copter is wicked quick, but the motors get pretty warm. The screws that bolt the motors to the frame get pretty hot.

I may need 6 SunnySkys and run the 6045 rotors to really max this bird out...

Sorry to hear that.

As to the motors, I'm working on a mini quad and want to incorporate all the tweaks I have accumulated over the last few months. I think I'm going to give these cheap little brutes a try with 0530s. The expensive part will be the Afro Slims.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I put the hex on a watt meter today. I ran one motor with a 5030 triblade on it to 75% of throttle (the most I wanted given the whining and I was holding it in my hand). My Suppos are rated to 7.5A and I hit 5.0A at 75%. I took this as a sign that I could push these Suppos hard with the 5030 triblades and not kill them.

The triblades are my limit on this copter due to frame restrictions. 6" rotors are too long so upgrading the motors would be a waste. At any rate, the copter has lots of power. I flew this today with a 1300mah lipo and NEVER got close to 75% throttle. I need to adjust my hat cam, raise the RC rate (100 for this) and lower I gain a touch due to some slow oscillation.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Sorry to hear that.

As to the motors, I'm working on a mini quad and want to incorporate all the tweaks I have accumulated over the last few months. I think I'm going to give these cheap little brutes a try with 0530s. The expensive part will be the Afro Slims.

Those look pretty heavy to me. They weigh twice what the Suppos and SunnySkys weigh. Of course, yours will take longer rotors, out to 7" so yours have access to more torque and a crapload more thrust. The four combined will weigh an extra 60 grams though, so you may need 6045s from the git-go or 4S to make this scream like you want it.

I love the Polakium hex frame. From what I hear, Mustang likes his Polakium quad frame. If the frame will accomodate 6"-7" rotors, you could do much worse.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Yes, they are heavy at 38g, and they have the same diameter as the A2830s I use. With 2600KV they should push a LOT of air. And I will order some 6" just in case the 0530 are too small. I'll also design the mini to accept 6" just in case. That's only an extra 1/2" of boom length. I figure for $9 I can't go too wrong.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
3S, but if I can keep the weight around 700g, I think it will scream.

190g for the battery (3S 2200 45-120c)
155 for the motors (I'm hoping their power will make-up for the weight)
35 for the RX and CB (I'll remove the plastic covering the rx, about a 18g hit for using a KK2)
52 for the ESCs (Afros are just 13g.. yeaa)
25 for the UBEC (gotta have 5V)
35 for the props and collets (collets work well for me, so I'll take the mass hit)
100 for the frame and harness (tough to stay under 100, but I think I can beat the Blackout with its huge hit of using a million fasteners. Mine will have 6 to 8. I have enough 2mm CF for baby vertical booms, main plates will be G10)
75 for the mobius, Vtx and clover ant.

Jeeesh it would be hard to have a strong quad under 500g unless you spend the big bucks.