CranialRectosis' Polakium Engineering Super Simple Spider Hex build

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Sorry to hear that.

As to the motors, I'm working on a mini quad and want to incorporate all the tweaks I have accumulated over the last few months. I think I'm going to give these cheap little brutes a try with 0530s. The expensive part will be the Afro Slims.

The afro slims are 20amp but apparently they have 30 fets and just de-rated because they're intended to go inside arms. Put heavier gauge wire on though and you got yourself 30a slims :)

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Yes, they are heavy at 38g, and they have the same diameter as the A2830s I use. With 2600KV they should push a LOT of air. And I will order some 6" just in case the 0530 are too small. I'll also design the mini to accept 6" just in case. That's only an extra 1/2" of boom length. I figure for $9 I can't go too wrong.

Go for the 6x4.5 props on those Cyber on 3s. The 5030's are too small for that motor. With the extra kv maybe even grab a few 6x3 for testing. Oh and try to get the HQ props if you can. 40grams more thrust for the 6x4.5 HQ.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I put the hex on a watt meter today. I ran one motor with a 5030 triblade on it to 75% of throttle (the most I wanted given the whining and I was holding it in my hand). My Suppos are rated to 7.5A and I hit 5.0A at 75%. I took this as a sign that I could push these Suppos hard with the 5030 triblades and not kill them.

The triblades are my limit on this copter due to frame restrictions. 6" rotors are too long so upgrading the motors would be a waste. At any rate, the copter has lots of power. I flew this today with a 1300mah lipo and NEVER got close to 75% throttle. I need to adjust my hat cam, raise the RC rate (100 for this) and lower I gain a touch due to some slow oscillation.

That thing looks sweet in the air Cranial. It sounds like a pissed off swam of mosquitoes!
Whats this whats this. Have I got another launching and landing in the hand convert????? ;) Keep up the awesome flying mate!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Thanks FGA, I will grab those.

And yea, the more I look at those motors, the more I believe 6" is the way to go. Unless I could find steep pitched 5s. I want to steer free of three blades. I had some bad experiences in my early days with tri-blades and are reluctant to go back unless I have no other choice. I'm tucking the props in close and cutting away allot of center plate to keep everything as tight as possible.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I gotta agree with FGA on this one Cyber D. I have learned a really good lesson about too short rotors that provide ample thrust but sub par flight surface area. At least on my WQ String Theory frame, the longer rotors make the copter more stable and easier to control.

The 5030s are good for this copter as the frame won't support 6" rotors and I have 6 of them making a set of 'wings' upon which to fly. I think there is a ratio for how much control surface area I want for the width of a copter. I have no idea how to figure that out, but with the experience of the past few days, I'll bet it exists.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
"Whats this whats this. Have I got another launching and landing in the hand convert?????"

Yeah, the landing strut ideas all looked like crap to me. I like the streamlined profile. Now I just gotta keep the copters out of the sand.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
3 blade props are only a last resort due to lack of space and not a problem if you're designing it too.

I am really trying to stop myself from buying some secret motors for a new build of mine but know I won't be able to help myself. 10 grams lighter than yours but with 6x4.5 HQ props on will pull nearly 1.2kg of thrust with a prop pitch top speed of 148kph (the Warpquad setup is 750g and 119kph). I'll let the cat out of the bag if (probably when) I build it. I'm shaking just thinking about it now...

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
"Whats this whats this. Have I got another launching and landing in the hand convert?????"

Yeah, the landing strut ideas all looked like crap to me. I like the streamlined profile. Now I just gotta keep the copters out of the sand.

Well now they should only touch the sand in a crash and if you work out how to stop that from happening please tell me :)

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I have removed the tri-bladed Gemfans from my hex.

There is a little dimple on the bottom of each blade and in the center of this dimple is a little tower of plastic the diameter of pencil lead that sticks out past the face of the blade. I dunno what this is for but it causes some real vibration issues and makes for an annoying buzzing sound.

I like the thrust and I like the look but the quality of the Gemfan triblades on a 5030 is utter crap.

I am now looking for some 5045s in two and/or three bladed rotors but something better than the Gemfans.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
So I have now rebuilt this copter to smooth out video, add lights, replaced the Turnigy 9X FlySky receiver with a FrSky 4ch receiver after replacing the module in my transmitter last night.

I added the LEDs to help me maintain orientation and so I can fly in low light.

I have also replaced the Suppo A1510s with emax 1804s. The 1804s don't provide any more power but they are more efficient and produce less vibration.

The Gemfans have been tossed aside in favor of the colored HQ 5030s in red and black. I had to make a significant change to PID when I updated to the HQ rotors.

The upgrade to the FrSky receiver allows me to go to PPM transmitting 8 channels in 1 wire. This cuts my wires from the receiver to the transmitter by half. The new receiver is half the size of the old receiver, has two antennae, failsafe, and telemetry (not connected yet).

When I added the JST for the LEDs I had to rebuild the power harness so I stepped down to 20AWG wire to give me some wiggle room in this little space. Each lead from the battery is now going from 1 to 8 wires and I still need to keep the solder joints tight and tidy.

I still have some PID tuning to do to make this fly well with a Mobius, but there is little to no jello and I just have velcro between the camera and the frame. These little motors are tight!

CompleteV2.JPG CompleteV2Front.JPG CompleteV2LightsTop.JPG CompleteV2Underside.JPG

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I decided I need more power!

So I upgraded to some DYS 1806 motors and 4S! Yes, the Hex went 4S!

Then I smashed it into multiple peices in a flip gone bad on the first 4S flight...

I may be able to glue the frame back together but the real challenge is getting into the motors. They are seized full of sand because when the copter smacked terra firma it did so upside down and hard enough to knock the receiver connector off the FCB. The copter instead of shutting down, spun the motors into the sand. By the time I could grab it and unplug the battery, 5 motors could no longer spin and were pretty hot.

I have pulled the grub screw from the bell and there is only one but the motors will still not come apart. A screw driver in the seam between the bell and the base only dents the base or the bell. I must get into the motors to save them as I pulled one motor lead completely out and I need to be able to solder it back to the pad inside the base. Besides, this was the first flight on a set of 6 new motors...

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Ouch, and I thought my first flight on new motors flyaway was harsh. Hope you can get them going again!

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Ouch, and I thought my first flight on new motors flyaway was harsh. Hope you can get them going again!

Ours were very similar actually. You had a crashed receiver shut down and your copter fly away. I crashed my copter, wrecked the receiver and the only reason the copter didn't fly away was that it was upside down. When I got to my copter, my transmitter was turned off but my motors were still spinning in the sand....

Got bit by a prop picking it up to unplug the battery as the thing had a broken arm and was spinning and dancing around in the sand and I had a hard time seeing it in the dust. It kicked up so much dust, at first I thought it was on fire and thought about getting a fire extinguisher before I realized it was just dust getting kicked up by the spinning motors.

As the motors seized up, the dust settled a bit and I could see it well enough to catch it. Then the broken boom flipped up and the motor that was still hanging on by the wires bit my hand with a rotor before pulling out the motor lead and dying off.

I gotta re-review these failsafe defaults. I havent flown since Sunday because of my fear that the failsafe defaults won't work when I need them and my copter will fly off and hit someone. :(

I also gotta remember not to try flip a copter while I am tuning it with the rc rates down low.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Bugger mate! I am very much thankful for where I am able to fly...

Yeah, I envy you your grassy lawns and the length of time you have to fly over them. My lawn is just now filled in and will be gone by the end of September.

But, I do have high country fishing! :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
As the motors seized up, the dust settled a bit and I could see it well enough to catch it. Then the broken boom flipped up and the motor that was still hanging on by the wires bit my hand with a rotor before pulling out the motor lead and dying off.

NO fun. I mostly fly over sand as well and it can get ugly quick. Thankfully most of the areas there is enough gravel and rocks in the sand that the quad can't dig like that when it lands upside down :D

I gotta re-review these failsafe defaults. I havent flown since Sunday because of my fear that the failsafe defaults won't work when I need them and my copter will fly off and hit someone. :(

I'm still really nervous flying after that flyaway. Need to figure out what was going on with my LRS or dig in on FrSky I'm thinking....

I also gotta remember not to try flip a copter while I am tuning it with the rc rates down low.
[/quote]

I wish I could remember that :D