Help! Cutters for Push/Control Rods?

Skristof

I'm a newbie builder. Can you more experienced folks recommend a brand and/or type of cutter for cutting push rods/control rods? That wire is hard! The needle nose plier side cutters that I've been using will work when I exert maximum force but I don't know how much longer the blades on the cutter portion will put up with that. I can see indentations in the edge every place I've made a cut. Your ideas and suggestions are hereby solicited and will be most welcome!

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
The stuff is hard on regular cutters. I have a set that looks like mini bolt cutters that work great but I can't think of where I got them. If I can remember I'll look at them to see if there is a brand and model on them. If so they will be easy to find.

Piotrsko

Master member
Klien linesman pliers or barbed wire pliers from a feed and tack store, depending on how citified your location is. The barbed wire pliers are cheaper but my kliens are 30 years old (?) And I used them on 3/16 certified aircraft stainless with a hammer

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....Your ideas and suggestions are hereby solicited and will be most welcome!
To cut, I use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel.

But I don’t cut very often. A much quicker way, just use regular pliers, grab the wire and bend it back and forth. About 3 bends and it will break.

Last edited:

tamuct01

As others have said, larger pliers such as lineman's pliers work well. For thicker wire a Dremel with a cutoff wheel will leave a clean, square, cut.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
From some toolkit I have from before I remember getting it:
1633380342003.png

Doesn't show any scar marks or anything that I can see.