Diamond D-42 Twin Star

leaded50

Legendary member
I always liked the designlines of the Diamond twinmotor airplanes . At moment im stuck awaiting for some parts in need to get ready with the Galaxy VSS Unity spacetravel plane, so "needed something to do" while waiting ;).

Gonna be build at approx. 1000mm wingspan, and goes for two 2208 motors. setup with differential thrust. Since got acess to a 3D printer, use it for some components as the motor nacelles, by combining/adjust some free available parts, that can fit.
Main horizontal internal and the hatch/canopy made of the pvc foam boards i got, and a carbon fiber tube for rear strength.
The plane have a T-tail, and uses a dual layer for the vertical tailfin, to get space inside for elevator actuating, by pushrods through at connector at rear of fuselage... and stiffness of fin for good base for the horizontal stabilizer. To get the space for this.. its a minor adjusting of fuselage diameter fully at the rear though. :)

D42.jpg
42.jpg

the two pictures on top , is the DA - 42.... and the lower one, the DA- 62.
Im not a fan of canopy design of that. ... but i dont like as much the nacelles on the DA - 42 either.... well, i suppose im gonna use some creativity and make what i want on it :)

diamond-da62-578f0ca.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
Since the plane have a "high aileron" ( T- tail) it needed some kind of system to get movement at pushrod from servo further forward.
I made the vertical fin in two parts, with opening inside to ensure no binding of a pushrod. That pushrod goes down to a servocross reworked to fit at end of the CF spar with a screw through it,, and there can turn. Then pushrod forward to servo.
The holes where the pushrod "connector" is,(as seen on picture) is shut by only cardboard, to ensure enough space for the movement.

DSC_1022.JPG

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@leaded50 - You my friend are a building Monster! (in a good way) I really like seeing your methods. I always look at the beginning and think there's no way he's gonna... (sees next post) ...Wow, Nice!" You do good work from turning rough models to smooth beauties.

Your production of planes is amazing. My question to you (for which I need help myself) is; Where do you store these?

Do you crash and burn? or is there a secret pile of past planes? or do you confirm flight, then pass them to someone or the trash (after removing electronics.?

All that said - This model is looking great! I have a Girlfriend that might go Flying if I show up with one of these.

leaded50

Legendary member
such did it look when glues on the wing. It needed some adjustent to keep it at correct place before glue hardned.
DSC_1026.JPG