DJI Inspire 1 Review

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

ft-inspire-review-edit-00-00-14-22-still006-jpg_1421873579.jpg

Josh is joined by Eric in this review of the DJI Inspire 1. We purchased ours from GetFPV.com
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-01-12-16-still007-jpg_1421873507.jpg

Eric seeing the Inspire for the first time. He only gets a few moments before his first flight!
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-01-52-17-still008-jpg_1421873516.jpg

Peter helping Eric with the Gimbal.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-02-48-10-still009-jpg_1421873603.jpg

And we named our Inspire, we kicked around a few inspirational ones before deciding.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-03-14-15-still010-jpg_1421873530.jpg

Eric demonstrating the arming sequence.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-04-02-10-still011-jpg_1421873621.jpg

The first flight for Eric, and a crowd came around to watch.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-04-10-19-still012-jpg_1421873553.jpg

ft-inspire-review-edit-00-06-03-14-still013-jpg_1421873556.jpg

Eric feeling out the controls, and seeing what the Inspire can do.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-08-47-13-still014-jpg_1421873563.jpg

Peter, while getting shots for the Guniea, runs through the Inspires props, then crashes into Josh. The inspire took the hit and didn't skip a beat.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-09-00-17-still015-jpg_1421873571.jpg

Peter also received some damage from the incident.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-09-11-21-still016-jpg_1421873585.jpg

Footage from the Inspire when it was hit.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-10-41-12-still018-jpg_1421873615.jpg

Eric testing the camera in low-light situations.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-13-45-09-still021-jpg_1421873652.jpg

The guys stopped by Alan Bruce's on the trip and got some shots at the lake.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-15-08-15-still022-jpg_1421873743.jpg

ft-inspire-review-edit-00-15-17-05-still023-jpg_1421873751.jpg

ft-inspire-review-edit-00-16-45-11-still024-jpg_1421873766.jpg

While this is just a picture, the video is so steady it seems like a still shot.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-18-19-06-still025-jpg_1421873703.jpg

And for the last location we tested it at, Eric got to shoot at a bridge crossing.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-18-56-02-still026-jpg_1421873711.jpg

ft-inspire-review-edit-00-19-15-07-still027-jpg_1421873728.jpg

ft-inspire-review-edit-00-19-28-19-still028-jpg_1421873817.jpg

Eric focusing on his shot, trusting the Inspire to keep steady.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-19-59-09-still029-jpg_1421873748.jpg

And if even went under the bridge with no FPV interference.
ft-inspire-review-edit-00-21-58-23-still030-jpg_1421873756.jpg

Josh and Eric happy with how the Inspire did flew for them, and signing off for this episode.
Check out the Inspire 1 over at http://amzn.to/1yI7Ws9
We were happy with the footage that the Inspire produced for us, and very suprised it held up to the hype. It was a blast getting to put it through its paces. Thanks for watching guys!

johnmw

propulsion impromptu
though i got to admit it is a very cool, sophisticated craft..
imho 3 grand is too much, definitely not for average hobbyists.
but from serious photography perspective it's not so bad.
it may even be quite a bargain considering the footage quality.
i'm a bit both of each and i don't think i'd be owning one..
so my look forward-hopeful list:
1. FT/community DIY solution as mentioned by Josh
2. FT knowledge series on aerial photography by Eric
:)

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I too think three grand is too much for what it offers. After seeing the specs it makes me wonder why a frame so heavy and 6s battery is necessary to carry a camera the size of a GoPro if not smaller. Plenty of people have made their own multirotors to carry GoPros and gimbals for much less and similar flight times. I was pleased at the end when Josh mentioned Flite Test would try to replicate the Inspire's performance on a small budget. Overall, Flite Test did an awesome, very candid review.:) I am also looking forward to some episodes on DIY AP rigs and AP tips with Eric.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Thanks for the great review guys. This is a great way to show a product. Displaying both pros and cons of a product I fear is seldom done by other reviewers. I definitely agree that it is not really for the FPV pilot, but should be used as a flying camera used for much more "professional" level photography.

Corbarrad

Ah, I sense professional innterest...

Unfortunately I don't think the inspire will be much good ror looking up at things. all of its geometry is geared towards keeping the frame and roors out of down facing and level shots, maybe a slight up angle.

What I'd really like was some sort of automated chase plane or some kind of rig that would pan a ground based camera around following your plane. I never get any footage of my own flying.

Countrybull

Air plane "Selfie" XP good lord I hate that word.

Ah, I sense professional innterest...

Unfortunately I don't think the inspire will be much good ror looking up at things. all of its geometry is geared towards keeping the frame and roors out of down facing and level shots, maybe a slight up angle.

What I'd really like was some sort of automated chase plane or some kind of rig that would pan a ground based camera around following your plane. I never get any footage of my own flying.

Not plugging but I just came across this site browsing one day. Soloshot.com it can tag and track any item you can attach the tag to. I was thinking of how it could be modified for a directional antenna use as well.

Grounded Gremlin

The guy that doesn't fly
Thank you FT!!! I have been looking at AP and gimbals and cheap solutions to getting into aerial video for a while, so I'm so happy that you are starting to consider this topic! The Inspire looks awesome, great review! Please keep us updated on whatever other multi rotor related products are coming; I want more!!!

I fully second johnmw's post. It would be great to see more of Eric?

What are you guys hatching? DIY laser cut wood gimbal frames? Anti-vibration mounts? A FliteTest flight control board? Look out DJI... I think an Electrohub Pro with integrated 'FT Core' and all the jazz would be very appealing to certain customers ;)

I'm excited.

Love it so much, keep up the fantastic work guys.

Last edited:

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I agree Teach! I think that Eric was just as comfortable in front of the camera as he is behind (flying) it!

Great job FT and Eric!!!

Fyathyrio

Can't wait to see the DTFB gimbal plans! :D Thanks for the great review, and the promise of a "budget" version for us po' folks.

AeroMaestro

Thanks to the recent news of somebody crashing their Phantom on the White House grounds, DJI is issuing a "mandatory" firmware update to block flights in Washington, DC.
http://gizmodo.com/maker-of-drone-that-crashed-at-white-house-will-block-f-1682262818

I agree with Bixler 100% on this issue --- I won't buy a DJI product because I don't trust that they won't suddenly and arbitrarily disable my product somewhere down the line. I intend to fly carefully, safely, and responsibly and don't need some corporate committee deciding how.

(Jeez.... I'm really starting to sound like a card-carrying second amendment defender. These are pretty much the same arguments that gun people have against smart-guns, right? Maybe the best way to secure our future as RC hobbyists would be to convince the NRA that we have mutual interests.)

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
I won't buy a DJI product because I don't trust that they won't suddenly and arbitrarily disable my product somewhere down the line. I intend to fly carefully, safely, and responsibly and don't need some corporate committee deciding how.

+1
Looks like a good product, but I have wasted enough time and money with closed source hardware and software.
But I'm sure this product is gonna be a big success anyway, they don't need my money... ;)

JetexJim

This was an excellent show.

Certainly DJI aspire to be the Apple of the drone world, offering turnkey performance to people without traditional constructional and flying skills. Don't grumble about the price. This is a product targeted at that part of the demographic that is looking for the next cool gadget and feels that $3k is a quite fair if the thing can shoot a video selfie while they ski.

As a dedicated home builder I look forward to Josh's DIY Inspire.

gdaly136

I enjoyed the Inspire video and review very much, but I would like to know if Flite Test has reviewed 3d robotics Iris+ and how I may find flite test reviews of 3d robotics products

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Hi gdaly136,
welcome to the forum.

There was no Iris+ review yet as far as I know

Your best bet to find FT content is searching either Youtube or the FT articles section.

fburd

In our club we have a member flying the DJI Inspire1. There is a strong belief that since the Inspire transmits the video in the 2.4 range, it has caused interference and some serious plane crashes, with guys flying DSM2. Would you guys be able to comment on this?