F-86 Sabre - 50mm EDF

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Ah ok, that's good. I'll trace the underside.

So you just cut into the upper-fuse and put a battery tray under the cockpit.

How far back did you mount the EDF?

Zephyr1

Elite member
Exactly, then the canopy comes off and the battery comes off.

I mounted the EDF about 2-3 inches back from from the 2nd half of the fuse. Additionally, i taped the ESC to the top of the fuse.

And yeah, I just traced it. I'm super excited to see how this turns out!

Chuppster

When I build it I'll likely make that "Box" a basket with BBQ Skewers on the front and back to allow for a little airflow but not blocking all the air. that way when the extreme happens I'm less likely to throw a battery into my fan.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Good idea with the BBQ skewers. Although, you're not going to get any more airflow, as long as the battery is there in the way it won't matter if it's a box or a basket. BUT, the basket is probably lighter weight, so that's a good thing! :D

Zephyr1

Elite member
When I build it I'll likely make that "Box" a basket with BBQ Skewers on the front and back to allow for a little airflow but not blocking all the air. that way when the extreme happens I'm less likely to throw a battery into my fan.

In every crash or flight I've had with it, the battery always flies forward. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Cheaters is always an option if you want more airflow, I used them for my first version, and it gave it more power.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Progress is great, it flew!

I did my own calculation, I don't remember where exactly it is, but that sounds close.

This is a great little ship, very fun and easy to fly! The plans and build process need some cleaning up, but that's small potatoes on the whole.

I'll post some pics of mine later. Meanwhile, here's a quick video of my second flight, after I got it all trimmed:

Tsavah

Is it difficult to roll the fuselage foam into a tube? I haven't bought any of the FT foam board with the brown paper covering.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Progress is great, it flew!

I did my own calculation, I don't remember where exactly it is, but that sounds close.

This is a great little ship, very fun and easy to fly! The plans and build process need some cleaning up, but that's small potatoes on the whole.

I'll post some pics of mine later. Meanwhile, here's a quick video of my second flight, after I got it all trimmed:

That's amazing!! I'm so happy it flies!!

Yeah, you're right, plans and build process do need to be cleaned up. I have this nasty habit of getting it to work, and then moving on to a new project. (I just build a Crusader to kill the MiG-17, which I built to kill my F-86, it's a vicious cycle)

I can't wait to see the pics!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Alright, here is my Sabre!

IMG_6306.JPG
IMG_6301.JPG
IMG_6300.JPG
IMG_6299.JPG

I thought about trying to rig up a Y-bent elevator pushrod and use only one servo, but after mocking up a few things I didn't like it, so I just went with two like yours.
IMG_6305.JPG

My home field is pretty dirty and rocky, so strapping tape to protect the belly is a MUST! :D
IMG_6302.JPG

IMG_6298.JPG

The only ESC I had available for this fan was one that didn't have its own BEC, so I had to put in a separate Rx battery. Luckily I've got some small 2S lipos for my gliders, so it wasn't a big deal. It just barely fits in behind the main power battery. :D
IMG_6297.JPG
IMG_6296.JPG

And here you can see my "electronics shelf"
IMG_6308.JPG

Here's where things get interesting ... This past Saturday was the maiden flight, and somewhere along the way home I must've busted one of the aileron horns because when I got to the field on Sunday I noticed it was broken. I didn't have any horns or my glue gun with me, so I just removed the pushrod from the servo, taped the aileron flush and flew it anyway! The funny thing is, I think it flew BETTER on just one aileron because it wasn't so hot and touchy. I had to adjust the trim a little, but it flew like a dream!
IMG_6304.JPG
IMG_6303.JPG

Zephyr1

Elite member
That looks amazing!! I love how you made the canopy removable and your electronics shelf is fantastic! I am pretty amazed you think it flew better with only one aileron! I do have some questions though:

That is a big battery, any idea on your take off weight, and how did that hurt you're glide slope and flight time? Mine slows down pretty well (a lot better than my MiG-17) but the flight time isn't more than 4min.

I mixed the elevators to the ailerons for MORE roll authority, did you consider that or nah?

Did you end up taking the paper skin off of the spine of the Sabre? Did that help it roll out?

It looks amazing, Ben, I'm definitely going to need to make a Mk4 and make a better build log. Lastly..dogfight at Flite Fest? :)

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Flying weight is 26oz.

I was able to throttle back and cruise a bit slower, but I honestly didn't spend much time there :p
Most of the flights were spent at full throttle just boring holes in the sky and making low fast passes :D

Landings were easy, throttle-off, so I think that says something good about its glide slope.

I did not consider mixing the elevators in for roll, although I knew you did that. Looking at the control surfaces I was confident that it would have enough authority, and it definitely did. I'm sure there's a way to use a V-bent rod to actuate both elevators from one servo, similar to what I did on the Baby Bugatti; might just have to put the elevator servo in front of the vertical stab.

I DID take the paper of the inside of the spine, and that made rolling the top over not hard at all. Well, the rolling was easy, but holding it in place while I glued the nose and tail areas was a bit of a challenge. What WAS hard was sorting out the nose and the tail closures. I think there needs to be a couple more "darts" in the folding areas.

Also, I think you can make the horizontal one flat piece, and put a recess notch in the fuselage for it to sit flush on.

As for a dogfight; I'm IN! ... although, I'll probably have to build another when I get there. It's a BIT too big to carry on a plane and not worry about crunching it.

Tsavah

A square fuselage is a common element in FT designs, but I am wondering if the paper skins are hard to remove, or not? I'm not a big fan of square fuselage designs since it is pretty easy to cold roll thin foam board like the Dollar Tree store poster board called Adams poster board. The catch is removing the paper skins, or cold rolling may not be possible without issues like creases. I made a video on the cold rolling process years ago in my Youtube channel (Wattwaster) and demonstrated various cold rolled foam board types and the basic process. I even cold rolled some 5"x 5" sections of common foam dinner plates after removing the lifted rim and cutting out the biggest flat sheet I could make. The foam is very thin, as in 2mm, much stiffer, and makes excellent fuselage panel sections. The other advantages are the low cost and very lightweight. I tend to first build a build-over plug, or frame of the fuselage design and there are videos of some examples. That way if I need to repair, or replace a fuselage later, it is just a matter of building another on the build-over plug, or frame, removing the build-over part from inside and mounting the RC gear. If I decide some changes are needed to the design, I make them to the build-over unit, or make another with the changes I want to try out. Pretty simple process, but I know some may be devoted to hot-glue and DIY kits they can buy rather than a full DIY project starting with foam they can take out of the trash, or a home improvement warehouse store that sells insulation board in the 1/2" x 4'x 8' sheets, or smaller sometimes. The rest is about carving, shaping, or sculpturing skills. Very much like the old school methods where you start whittling on a block, or sheets of balsa, or some other type of wood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twxNk6Bb1SU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3Xe3G79UE are a few videos to demonstrate the concepts.

Last edited:

Zephyr1

Elite member
I think building another is a necessary sacrifice. I'll mod out of MiG-17 into a -15 and we can get some MiG Alley action!

Yeah, it could definitely use at least one more set of "dart" folding areas, I'll incorporate that into the next set of plans. And your horizontal shelf, making it one piece that sits on the sides makes way more sense.

Thank you for the feedback! Awesome video on youtube too!

Last edited: