FF2017 Int. Racers: Caudron C.460

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just looked closer at all the pictures and of the maiden. My eyes seem to think the way the motor, tail and main wing are oriented that it looks like the air flow is not straight across both wing surfaces. To me (again this is from pictures and video and old eyes) but it looks like the main wing wants to push up, the prop and tail seem to be in line.

It looks as though when under power the main wing wants to pull up and the countering with the tail forces it down. When you let off the throttle the wing produces less lift and makes the tail seem to over correct making it seem tail heavy. Soon as power is applied the lift builds and the process starts again.

I am more then likely wrong but that's what my brain says it saw during the maiden.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks @psyborg! I'll take a much closer look at the wing / tail incidence and see if something is fishy there that could be complicating things. Appreciate the input!

Tench745

Master member
Point of note, the relationship of wing incidence to tail incidence is known as "declage" I don't know why. If you enjoy learning complicated things, might I recommend Andy Lennon's "Basics of R/C Model Aircraft Design" For instance, there's a whole chapter devoted to determining whether you need the h-stab to be a lifting surface or not. But be forewarned, many many many formulae to read around. Many are unnecessary for our basic building needs, but they're there if you really want to understand things.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks for the info but I don't do maths on the weekends ;) All kidding aside... There is soo much to learn about this. I think most people take years to get out of that dodad / dohikey stage when talking about things. Math Skeers me though. I failed a semester in college when I tried to retrain after getting hurt. Do you know how hard it is to concentrate on math once the pain killers kick in and the cute little blond teacher starts to wiggle while erasing the blackboard. (note this is a 7:30 am class) ALL concentration seems to go out the window at that point.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Better! Faster! Stronger! We have the technology!!

Or something like that. :)

Anyway, finished the repairs last night, and installation of my 2nd favorite gyro (Hobby Eagle A3-L). With luck and lower throws, this will help me get up a couple mistakes high so I get a better idea of what's going on with this beastie. Wing & tail surfaces are parallel (best as I could determine without a fancy incidence jig like @wilmracer uses) and it's got about the same 3 degrees right but an additional shimmy of downthrust on the motor now.

2016-09-29 23.06.25.jpg

I'm using an older FrSky receiver w/o S.Bus so there are a good number of new wires cluttering up the fuse now. I keep telling myself 'this is a prototype, no need to make the insides all organized yet - just take notes for the rebuild'. In that spirit, I glued in a gyro platform that sits above the receiver to keep everything flat, level, and centered. In the next size up bird, I think the fuse will be wide enough they can be side-by-side.

2016-09-29 23.06.43.jpg

If the weather holds, she'll be up in the air again on Saturday!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
GL with the next round. Glad my eyes were wrong as that would have been a semi major change for you.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Don't think your eyes were wrong on the flight behavior at all - I'm hoping the additional down thrust will help stop it before I need to mess with the wing incidence though :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So I did see what I thought I saw? just maybe a different cause? Don't contribute to my questioning my sanity here...:D

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I wouldn't trust her she was slinkin around with the neighbors lawn mower and right in front of the window her long term microwave looks out too!!

So THAT explains all the bad vibes radiating from the Microwave . . . ok, well, then sanity check failed. You'll have to look for validation elsewhere.

BTW, is you refrigerator running? Because I think I'd rather vote for him . . .

< . . . back to your regularly scheduled design thread . . . >

saiga556

Full of...
Did you mount the motor at the scale height? Looking at your picture the motor seems to be mounted rather low, could just be an optical illusion. I remember when no building mine that one of the major difficulties was mount it in the scale location. Half of the motor has to go up on the turtledeck. The thrust line is pretty high.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Did you mount the motor at the scale height? Looking at your picture the motor seems to be mounted rather low, could just be an optical illusion. I remember when no building mine that one of the major difficulties was mount it in the scale location. Half of the motor has to go up on the turtledeck. The thrust line is pretty high.

That's an interesting observation - while I placed the separation for the turtle deck right in line with the motor and elevator surfaces, I bet when I constructed the motor mount it resulted in the thrust line being lower than on the scale version.

I'll check that out before the re-maiden (I'm travelling again this weekend but hope to put this back in the air before October is over).

Thanks!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ok - finally got out to the flying field today (it's been six weeks since I last committed RC flight) and things went much better! On the down side, I forgot to charge my video camera so there's no fancy moving pictures. But, with a 5-10 mhp gusty wind she still flew!! Almost 2 minutes of sustained flight! I'm so pumped - this will work - I can feel it!! :applause:

So I used about 3/4 throttle on takeoff, and down to 1/2 for the rest of the time in the air. Definitely some thrust line issues - she ballooned up with more thrust, so the motor mount needs another washer to point down a bit more and the mount needs to be adjusted to correct the whole thrust line.

No torque rolling problems though. Course it helps that I corrected the reversed aileron servos before this flight (where's a face-palm emoji when I need one...) It doesn't have a lot of roll authority on the ailerons though - think they need a little more surface area. I did have some unexpected rolling in the wind, and a couple degrees of dihedral would probably be a good thing.

Elevator authority wasn't great either - I kept having to push down elevator to keep level flight (wasn't up long and stead enough to get into trimming) but when I did call for up elevator it just didn't do the trick. I think it's more a matter of rates though - I dialed all the rates back down after the first corkscrew flight and need to take the elevator back up a bit.

Rudder seems to work fine, I was fighting a bit of weather-vaning behavior with the wind and it seemed to work pretty well.

Didn't get a chance to try the flaps yet.

Now for the bad part of the flight. I was only one mistake high coming out of a banking turn and a gust of wind rolled me over a little steeper - I rolled back and then pulled up - but was pointed straight into the tree line. So I cut throttle all the way and went into the woods about 20 feet up in the air. It made a pretty impressive crack that got the attention of a guy facing away at the other end of the flight field. :cool:

Luckily it made it down to the ground, and the damage is fun to look at, but not too severe. The fuse tore almost in half right behind the wing - but in front of the servos so all the control linkages are just fine. There's also a divot in the leading edge of the wing, and one of the aileron's is loosened up from the foam a bit too much and needs to be rebuilt.

2016-11-06 11.55.24.jpg

2016-11-06 11.54.34.jpg

2016-11-06 11.54.24.jpg

But that's it for damage :black_eyed:

So on the prototype's change log now:

- Fix fuselage
- Lengthen ailerons and re-hinge
- Add more down thrust
- Increase elevator rates

And as saiga pointed out, I need to redesign the motor mount to put the thrust line up where it should be. Think I'll borrow your whole motor mount idea too - looks like a good idea to me :)

After a couple more flights on the prototype (and hopefully a landing or two on the runway) I'll go back to modify the CAD files and prepare to make the 'production' model. :)

Tench745

Master member
If your raise your motor mount, you also raise the thrustline, requiring less down-thrust. It might save you that extra washer.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Ok - finally got out to the flying field today (it's been six weeks since I last committed RC flight) and things went much better! On the down side, I forgot to charge my video camera so there's no fancy moving pictures. But, with a 5-10 mhp gusty wind she still flew!! Almost 2 minutes of sustained flight! I'm so pumped - this will work - I can feel it!! :applause:

Great progress!! Looks like you have a Golden Age Pylon Racer!!

Now that you have a flying aircraft, Is it okay to start the Bantering?? :black_eyed:

Tim

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks!

Bantering? What's there to banter about? I'm clearly going to win in every category that awards will be posted for, including fastest lap time and most spectacular crash on takeoff - and probably for the same race too. :)

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Bantering? What's there to banter about? I'm clearly going to win in every category that awards will be posted for, including fastest lap time and most spectacular crash on takeoff - and probably for the same race too. :)

Clearly. :) Best of luck!! ( You'll need it against the Super Solution. ) :D