Flaps on the Simple Storch ? ? ?

GBJim

Are flaps on the Simple Storch a definite asset ? Do they really slow it down and allow for a softer landing ? I am trying to justify the weight of adding 2 extra servos. What do you think ?

Thanks.

Jim

Lorenzo

Yes, they definitely slow her down. The Storch was the first plane I've built with fully independent flaps (having messed with a couple of flaperon setups in the past). I love it, and with the leading edge slats thrown in she'll crawl through the air. Just beware of the stall...

PS - The Storch won't care about an additional 18 grams of weight.

Last edited:

GBJim

Thanks Lorenzo, I guess that I will install them. How many degrees of flaps do you normally use, at different times ?

Jim

Lorenzo

Honestly, I'd have to check about the degrees - I just set them to 75% deflection (I think) and use them for takeoff and landing or if I just want to float around. If I had to guess I'd say they drop about 30 - 35 degrees or so. I think Josh covers it in the Storch supplemental video. They're definitely worth it though! My transmitter doesn't allow for anything but one flap setting, unfortunately - but I can mix some down elevator when they're activated which is a good idea.

Last edited:

JacobVR

Good job on applying the decals. As a sign shop owner and fellow aviator, I've lettered a few of my buddies planes (big and small) in the past. I haven't built any dollar foam planes, yet, but I did just build a crack turbo beaver this past winter. Foamies are the way to go.

kacknor

Build another!
Honestly, I'd have to check about the degrees - I just set them to 75% deflection (I think) and use them for takeoff and landing or if I just want to float around. If I had to guess I'd say they drop about 30 - 35 degrees or so. I think Josh covers it in the Storch supplemental video. They're definitely worth it though! My transmitter doesn't allow for anything but one flap setting, unfortunately - but I can mix some down elevator when they're activated which is a good idea.

I had the same issue with my first radio and the Simple Storch. One flap setting.

I "fixed" it by letting the radio assume I had retractable landing gear. Then I mixed gear and flap to a 30 or 40% deflection. So for take off I used the gear switch giving me half flaps and the flap switch put them all the way down. Two position flaps on a one flap switch DX6i. A bit cumbersome but it worked and wasn't hard to use at all.

JD

earthsciteach

Flaps are far from necessary but they are fun. I set mine up with flaperons. Works great and only requires two servos.

slyke

It seems like it should be possible to get the normal aileron servos to offset for flaperons without any extra hardware.

Is it? If not, why?

No extra servo or aileron hardware is required but each servo needs to be plugged into a separate receiver channel to function as flaperons. If both servos are connected to one channel with a Y harness then they have to act together as ailerons or flaps.
-Stephen

No extra servo or aileron hardware is required but each servo needs to be plugged into a separate receiver channel to function as flaperons. If both servos are connected to one channel with a Y harness then they have to act together as ailerons or flaps.

In that case: any idea if it's possible to program a Turnigy i6 TX to handle that?

Separating the aileron servos isn't a trouble; I have spare leads. I can't see an obvious way to set up the transmitter to handle two-channel ailerons, though.