Flite Fest East 2017 Volunteers

Rob D

So was curious if there was a map made up yet for the layout for this year and if there is one where can I see it?

Thanks,
R:cool:b D

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
39 Days and Counting

Is it time to be there yet ???????????????????????????
39 days! Ahhh! I can't get impatient yet this far out. Come on Andre, give me something to do! Just give me some busy work. I'll pretend it's super important.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Is it time to be there yet ???????????????????????????

Been there... Done that ;)

IMG_3419.JPG IMG_3426.JPG IMG_3443.JPG

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Flite Fest East 2017 Volunteer Update 02

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 11.04.42 PM.png

It feels like I was just there... :)

Hello and welcome to June. Flite Fest East 2017 is very quickly approaching.

I have a lot of things to discuss so grab a coffee and get ready to absorb some ideas.

Flight Line, Store and Parking.

Every year we step it up a notch. This year will be even more critical.

First the store. Jen Bixler has made a special request for extra help this year.
I want to give her as much coverage as we can.

Parking. Drawing from our experience out West you will see a very different method for parking tents and RV's. We will be assigning site numbers and sticking to a pattern.
Because the event has grown is scope we are now required to follow health and safety guidelines. Your assistance with this will be greatly appreciated.

And last flight Line.

I will be looking for 4-5 Flight Line Chiefs to assist me with something new this year.
Your role will help us monitor and adjust to conditions. As well instruct younger flight line crews.
This is one of our big goals. Educate and grow the base.

Like I've said before the model fundamentally works. We are just making small adjustments.

I have 1 more item to tell you about. Details are not sorted out yet but by far it is one of the more exciting changes.

Out West we did 2 build experiences led by Josh.
The sessions were well received and Josh is keen to see us explore this further.
Build, electronics and instructed flight. 3 separate sessions but designed to take the novice pilot from a SBK to flying in a span of a weekend.

Josh has redeveloped the Tiny Trainer and we will be figuring out the logistics around the sessions. This also falls in line with something else we want to enhance on the beginner flight line.

I will be looking for some pilot instructors and also hope to setup a "crash repair" station just off the flight line which was a wonder idea from the FFW volunteers.

As always feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Have a great week.

Andre Rousseau - andre@flitetest.com
Flite Fest 2017 Volunteer Coordinator
http://flitefest.com/

Rob D

Can you explain the tent situation. We have a friend we were hoping to meet up with and have are camp sites side by side. Is this going to be a issue if we are coming at two different times probably hours apart? Cause it sounds like your talking about assigned camp sites.
Thanks,
Rob

bobmac73

Yea, what Rob D said. Except on the RV sites. I made a friend from New York last year and we've kept in touch and were hoping to park our RV's side by side. I'll be interested to see if we can make that work.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
33 Days

So today was a nice day so I thought I'd check out the local field where sometimes I catch people (no forum member to my knowledge yet) in the air. Guess what I saw. I saw a freshly cut strip, a telltale hanging low, blue skies, and...

... not a soul!:mad:
Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 7.06.48 PM.png
Don't worry about all those wrinkels on my forehead (maybe closer to a fivehead). They're not permanent. I think there's less glare this way too. If I get too much sun I get stripes running across.:D

So I went back to the house to get an idea of what my camping site might look like. I measured out a 20'x25' space and easily fit all of this within that with feet all around to spare. Then I packed it all into the back of the car to get an idea of what I can bring to fly. I don't have much like some of y'all.
IMG_1566.jpg

Anyone else itching to get to Malvern already?

Last edited:

jtbluefeather

Jim - You're KILLING me with the countdown! I've got a road trip with my family to North Carolina and Florida (Disney World, even) between now and then, and I'm as excited about FliteFest as I am about WDW!

Itching... yes, sir... very much!

97tj-neil

Definitelty looking forward to it. The boy and I are getting planes ready.

Our sleeping arrangements are a little different though. No way I am taking vacation days to sleep in a tent.
cakfc_main01_r.jpg

kacknor

Build another!
Definitelty looking forward to it. The boy and I are getting planes ready.

Our sleeping arrangements are a little different though. No way I am taking vacation days to sleep in a tent.

Without a tent, you miss the experience of hearing the night flyers going on past 1 AM and the early morning guys hitting it at 6. ;)

JD

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Without a tent, you miss the experience of hearing the night flyers going on past 1 AM and the early morning guys hitting it at 6. ;)

JD

Not to mention the AfterHours podcast crew getting into all kinds of trouble.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've got my airplane list figured out;

Combat - Baby Baron
Night Flying - Eluminator wing
Pylon Racing - Caudron C.460 v3 and v4
FPV - FPVWRA Wing (can go LOS too)
Multi-rotor - NB98 (it's a 90mm 1s on a mild case of 'roids to handle the outdoors)
Ground - 1/6 scale FPV buggy
Project - Tiny Canard (maybe with enough extra brain power on site we can get it flying right)

So that's 6 planes, but two of them are wings so I think it'll all fit. Need to do a test packing like Jim soon. :)

Also need room for both Tarani, one set of FPV goggles, field box, charging box, clothes, tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, ez-up, chair, cooler.

..I think I can, I think I can, I think I can... :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
My buddy and I were out at the local AMA field today... After getting his quad back in the air from a previous incident, I see a blur across the bottom of my FPV... I'll be there for the whole event. He is only coming up for a day or two.
IseeSteve.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Rob D

So about the tent and RV parking it sounds like you're giving numbers and making people Park in certain spots when they get there so if I'm trying to meet somebody there at two different times do we have to meet up before we go in the front door so that we can be side by side or can we save a spot somehow? Cuz in the past we would just save a spot for whoever got there first. Any info on this would be great i got the build tent hes got the generator.

Thanks

rcbif

So about the tent and RV parking it sounds like you're giving numbers and making people Park in certain spots when they get there so if I'm trying to meet somebody there at two different times do we have to meet up before we go in the front door so that we can be side by side or can we save a spot somehow? Cuz in the past we would just save a spot for whoever got there first. Any info on this would be great i got the build tent hes got the generator.

Thanks

Big bump for this.

If camp sites are totally randomly assigned, you'll want to make that clear to all ASAP or else have some major heart-break and frustration at the main gates when people find out they can't camp with their buddies they waited a year to see.

For all those that plan to meet up with their friends from last year, no doubt there will be much supply sharing this year too.

I really hope there will be a way to get groups together.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Flite Fest East 2017 Volunteer Update 03

1 month to go!

I know it has only been a week since the last update but just wanted let everyone know we are slowly creeping past the 2016 volunteers registered for this time last year.
That is a great sign. The more volunteers we have the better we can run the weekend.
(Spread the word... Get the T-shirt) https://goo.gl/s8Yhyt

I also wanted to say Hi! to all the new people who have signed up over the past week.
Welcome to Team Orange!

Q&A's

This year we will run with 4 shifts per day.
This helps balance the days out a little better but it is super critical people show up for their assignments. Like last year we will use a sign in/sign out sheet.

Carts, you must be a licensed driver to use the carts at FF.
We will actually be using less carts this year and the shuttles will have a dedicated route.
The goal is to avoid running carts down the main stripe to reduce the dust and congestion.

Camping, as I mentioned before this year will be a little different.
We a have a brand new layout. http://www.flitefest.com/s/Camping-Info-FFE17.pdf

"Campsites are assigned spots on a first come first serve basis. When you arrive at Flite Fest, please check in at registration and you will be given a pass to an assigned spot."

I'm still working on the flight line updates, build sessions and a few other tweaks.
Starting later this month I will begin plotting in the assignments.

That is all for this morning, as always if you have questions please feel free to email me.
I do my best to respond to everyone in a timely manner ;)

Have a great week!

Andre Rousseau - andre@flitetest.com
Flite Fest 2017 Volunteer Coordinator
http://flitefest.com/