FT Cruiser - BUILD

The Cure

I've constructed a 4-motor FT-cruizer. Only thing I did was to lengthed each wing as long as the foam is long (30"), and space apart the pods so both will fit.
Using 250w 1200kv motors with 8x6 props - 2 being counter-rotating.
I tried flying it with the CG forward of the recommendation - for safety. Well, it shot directly up in the air and was extremely difficult to control. Took everything I had to land it without much damage. It was very tail heavy.
My question is would the addition of the extra thrust cause the plane to behave this way? Or, is the recommended CG way off even with the stock plans??
Have people found the motors need spacers to change the thrust angle??

thanks

The Cure

I re-maidened the plane tonight in fairly high winds. Set the CG 1" forward of the plans - is it me, or it seems all CG marks from the FT planes I've built are too far aft??
Well, it flew beautifully with the new balance point - might even notch forward abit more next time.
The crown gasped when it jumped aloft, oooo'd and awwww'd as it was put through its paces.
It turned on a dime with differential thrust enabled.

Thanks FT!

The Cure

DSC_0011small.jpg
DSC_0010small.jpg
DSC_0012small.jpg

DDSFlyer

Anybody know how many sheets of foam board you need to make this plane? I ordered the speed build kit but chickened out and printed the plans to scratch build it first so I don't mess up the nice kit. This is my first FT plane I'm building and is such an awesome looking plane that I'm a little gun shy. I am cutting out the plans and have 4 elmers foam boards, just wondering if I should buy more or not.

DDSFlyer

awesome, thanks. I thought since it's a bigger bird it might need a lot more but I started laying it out and I think I'll need three for sure

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Of course, it's never a bad idea to have a few extra sheets on hand! That is provided you are getting it at a good price. I'm lucky enough to have easy access to dollar a sheet so I usually buy 10-20 sheets at a time and restock when I get down to 4 or 5 sheets...

DDSFlyer

Michael's is having a buy one get one free for 2.99 I think. I may go back for more but I may inefficiently use up all four sheets for this build.
BTW, does anybody know how to make the poster board pieces of the turtle deck and nose pieces? Do I just somehow shave the foam off after cutting?

I think the Micheal's board will be too heavy. I don't believe they sell the Adam's foam board. Most of the other foam core board out there has really heavy paper on it and does not make good FT kits. You really need the Adam's foam board from Dollar Tree. I am sure the other board can be made to fly, but it will not fold properly, and your planes will be much heavier than they are supposed to be.

DDSFlyer

I think the Micheal's board will be too heavy. I don't believe they sell the Adam's foam board. Most of the other foam core board out there has really heavy paper on it and does not make good FT kits. You really need the Adam's foam board from Dollar Tree. I am sure the other board can be made to fly, but it will not fold properly, and your planes will be much heavier than they are supposed to be.

Well that's interesting.myeah it's Elmer's foam board that's at Michaels which I got. I'm actually going to have to pick up another sheet as I still need to do the wings and I don't think they'll fit on my last sheet of board. I was wondering about this board because it's been so hard to cut and fold. My hand is killing me. Well we'll see if it flies. After I build it I may just build the speed build kit and only fly that one. It'll be a good comparison of weight if it really snthat different. I just wanted to practice my hot glue techniques before screwing up the speed build kit so hopefully that objective will be accomplished in this process.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Michael's is having a buy one get one free for 2.99 I think. I may go back for more but I may inefficiently use up all four sheets for this build.
BTW, does anybody know how to make the poster board pieces of the turtle deck and nose pieces? Do I just somehow shave the foam off after cutting?
DDSFlyer,
Are you trying to make the turtle deck out of foam board? Poster board is something totally different. I get my poster board at Walmart, in the arts and crafts section. You can probably find it at Michael's. Take a look at the build video. You will see that they don't have to remove any foam from the poster board.

Last edited:

Jaxx

Well that's interesting.myeah it's Elmer's foam board that's at Michaels which I got. I'm actually going to have to pick up another sheet as I still need to do the wings and I don't think they'll fit on my last sheet of board. I was wondering about this board because it's been so hard to cut and fold. My hand is killing me. Well we'll see if it flies. After I build it I may just build the speed build kit and only fly that one. It'll be a good comparison of weight if it really snthat different. I just wanted to practice my hot glue techniques before screwing up the speed build kit so hopefully that objective will be accomplished in this process.

DDSFlyer,
Is there a Dollar Tree near you? Even with the sale you mentioned earlier, the Dollar Tree stuff is still cheaper and very easy to work with. It will allow you to practice your scratch building without breaking the bank or hurting yourself. Here is the location of a Dollar Tree in your city:

Dollar Tree
North County Plaza - Store #2521
1838 Marron Road #E
Carlsbad, CA 92008
760-720-4650
Hours: Mon - Sat: 8:00am - 10:00pm, Sun: 8:00am - 9:00pm

DDSFlyer

Well I thought I'd been reading a bunch comparing the Dollar Tree foam to the Elmer's foam board so I didn't think there was such a big diff...like I said all I have left are the wings so I may go ahead and finish the build with the Elmer's and if I want to do another build go to the Dollar Tree foam board. Thanks for all of the help!
As for the poster board for the turtle deck and such, I've got to look for it because looking at the video it seems pretty stiff. I didn't know it was a separate material. Have to pick that up at Target or Walmart.

EODPete

DDS, I am in Oceanside, the dollar tree has all the posterboard and foamboard that you need to complete a scratch build. I get everything I need from the one store!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Well I thought I'd been reading a bunch comparing the Dollar Tree foam to the Elmer's foam board so I didn't think there was such a big diff...like I said all I have left are the wings so I may go ahead and finish the build with the Elmer's and if I want to do another build go to the Dollar Tree foam board. Thanks for all of the help!
As for the poster board for the turtle deck and such, I've got to look for it because looking at the video it seems pretty stiff. I didn't know it was a separate material. Have to pick that up at Target or Walmart.
There isn't that much difference between the two. In weight or thickness. They both vary from board to board so if you have it, use it. In the future, if it makes you feel better and is close by, get the Adams. I know near me it's cheapest, so it's a no-brainer (which is handy for me!).

Jaxx

The poster board I get from Walmart is "Premium Poster Board". It's stiffer than the standard stuff, but costs a litte bit more. I'm going to try the Dollar Tree poster board that EODPete mentioned, to see how it compares. If I like it, I will start using that. The "premium" stuff I'm using now is really rigid once glued to the formers, so I don't have to pack the nose as suggested in the build video.

DDSFlyer

My FT Cruiser Scratch Build

Just thought I'd share a few pics of my scratch build FT Cruiser. I actually bought the speed build kit but got gunshy so I ended up trying to scratch build it first. Couple of individual touches are the colored duct tape. Counter rotating master airscrew 8.5x6 props. 2.5" landing gear wheels and steerable super cub tail wheel mod. Took the photos to document what it used to look like! Hopefully the maiden goes well tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_1599.jpg
    IMG_1599.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1601.jpg
    IMG_1601.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 33

Jaxx

Just thought I'd share a few pics of my scratch build FT Cruiser. I actually bought the speed build kit but got gunshy so I ended up trying to scratch build it first. Couple of individual touches are the colored duct tape. Counter rotating master airscrew 8.5x6 props. 2.5" landing gear wheels and steerable super cub tail wheel mod. Took the photos to document what it used to look like! Hopefully the maiden goes well tomorrow!

She looks great! You did an excellent job. Good luck with the maiden!