FT EZ ID?

chad.ellis

Does anyone know how to export the logs from the EZ ID to a CSV? I’m looking to export them to AirData. Even better would be AirData integration.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You can use a third party app (Open Drone ID or Drone Scanner for example) to record the flight and save that log. There is no log built directly into the unit. You could also connect it to a flight controller and have that save a log.

chad.ellis

You can use a third party app (Open Drone ID or Drone Scanner for example) to record the flight and save that log. There is no log built directly into the unit. You could also connect it to a flight controller and have that save a log.
The Flite Test app has the logs. I just need to be able to export them.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am playing with the logging in the FT app. Have you enabled remoteID logging in the App?
Screenshot_20231227-212856.png

It looks like after you enable that, the logs should be in the logbook tab.
Screenshot_20231227-213737.png

You will need to have the FT app running during the flight in order to log it.

Last edited:

jonbrotherton

Looking for help setting up the FT EZ ID. Is there any info about using it as the GPS module for an Ardupilot setup? I have been trying to apply the instructions for Betaflight to make it work in Ardupilot but everything I have tried doesn't work. There are also conflicting pinouts posted for the serial port RX/TX, specifically which one is which. But I have tried reversing them to no avail.

Burnhard

I do have a probably stupid question. I am living in continental Europe where there is currently no obligation to have remote ID (at least not as far as I am aware of). Nonetheless, having read a bit here and watched the videos on EZ ID, there seem to be some interesting features available like the GPS tracking and the logging. Would that work in Europe as well?

Actually just another question popped to my head. How does the GPS tracking work? I once lost a Viggen due to my faulty programming of an Aura. After that I installed a small GPS tracker but that worked on the basis of a cell/ sim card and unfortunately the startup that created it went bust. Can I only find an aircraft that came down close to me or also something that came down lets say 1km away?

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Looking for help setting up the FT EZ ID. Is there any info about using it as the GPS module for an Ardupilot setup? I have been trying to apply the instructions for Betaflight to make it work in Ardupilot but everything I have tried doesn't work. There are also conflicting pinouts posted for the serial port RX/TX, specifically which one is which. But I have tried reversing them to no avail.
This is a good question. I have not yet tried one with Ardupilot. I will have to give it a test. Ardupilot likes to have full control over the GPS and likes high refresh rates. We'll see how it goes.

LB

jonbrotherton

I haven't forgotten about this. My EZID has been tied up with stability testing of another product. I plan to jump on this over the next few days while I have time off work.

LB
Awesome thanks! If it would help for me to test something on my end let me know.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So far, I've taken a known working ArduPilot/GPS and tried just swapping the GPS for the FTEZID and had no luck. A number of things to check including Baud rate, protocols, etc....

The FT Documentation is a bit conflicting since one place it says it uses MSP, and another place it says to configure Ublox. Hmmm.

Going to play with some serial tools with a FTDI to see what is coming out of the FT EZ ID compared to the other GPS. That should help identify some of the mystery.

jonbrotherton

So far, I've taken a known working ArduPilot/GPS and tried just swapping the GPS for the FTEZID and had no luck. A number of things to check including Baud rate, protocols, etc....

The FT Documentation is a bit conflicting since one place it says it uses MSP, and another place it says to configure Ublox. Hmmm.

Going to play with some serial tools with a FTDI to see what is coming out of the FT EZ ID compared to the other GPS. That should help identify some of the mystery.
Yes this was as far as I got. It also doesn't help that conflicting RX and TX pinouts are posted in the instructions. Glad you're on it!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yes, I found that TX is where RX is too. I found a different pinout else where as well. This article seems more correct than the .pdf documentation. https://www.flitetest.com/articles/connecting-ez-id-to-betaflight-for-gps-passthrough
Screenshot_20240108-072839.png

Ardupilot is not going to like this being MSP. UBLOX is preferred and If I remember correctly, they may be dropping NEMA support. (at least for ardupilot wing) It also likes more frequent updates than 1hz. It works better with 10hz.

I was hoping to use it as a gps too, but now after playing with it, I don't think this is going to be a good fit for Ardupilot.

LB

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
SUCCESS with using the FT EZ ID as a GPS with Ardupilot!

So to get it to work, Use the wiring from my most recent post.

For the serial port, Select SERIAL#_BAUD 115200. Leave the SERIAL#_PROTOCOL type as GPS. Change the SERIAL#_PROTOCOL type to MSP

For the GPS_TYPE parameter, select MSP.

Reboot the FC and enjoy!

Here's a couple of screenshots using QGroundControl.
1704729801487.png

1704729617878.png

1704729529859.png

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...on EZ ID, there seem to be some interesting features available like the GPS tracking and the logging. Would that work in Europe as well?...
Yes, I don't see why it wouldn't work
...How does the GPS tracking work? ...
The EZ ID broadcasts the GPS coordinates, you pick up the signal using the cell phone app. As long as the ID has power & you are within range of the signal, you will be able to log & locate your plane. The range will depend on the conditions. I'm guessing the range is something in the 200-500 foot range.

I'm not sure the range will be much different than what you already have.