FT Master Build set ups

Pappy

Hi FliteTest Friends, I’ve been building FTs for a few years with my grandchildren. Love the whole process . Attended FF2018.
Most of our days end up in one plastic bag. Sure we’re getting better but it’s slow going. We recently completed Master Series P47, Corsair and a New SeaDuck#2. None test flown yet. I decided to throw some money at the problem and purchased 3 Aura5lites in an effort to compensate for poor pilot performance. So I went to install them and through FT I discovered I needed specific Satellite Receivers. So I purchased 3 compatible receivers and here I am.
My question: We use Spectrum DXe Transmitters (5 of them) and I use an older Spectrum DX6i. I could not download the Aur5lite app on my laptop? How do I proceed for a successful set up?
Note: Everything listed above came from the FT store and I happily support FT. I am not opposed to throwing more money at this one plastic bag problem. I was looking at the NX8 but hoping the 5 DXe will be compatible. We have 5 Simple Cubs the kids built and use and repair. We use a buddy cord too. The problem with that is I’m the BUDDY. I crashed my FT P51 at FF18 in Ohio, spectacularly! Lots of fun, could have been better. We just want to fly like Josh and Noah and the other guys!
I appreciate any input or direction you can offer towards the success of our mission.
Pappy

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hello and I would say welcome to the forums but you have been here for quite a few years now. It sucks to be in that rut of being a better builder then pilot, all of us have been there at some point. It gets frustrating, I almost gave up the hobby because of it. Looks like you have built yourself quite the line up judging by the planes you have built and crashed, or still have. I am a big fan of the P47 and the Seaduck.

One thing that could help would be to try flying easier planes to fly to learn how to pilot without a flight controller. I cut my teeth and finally learned how to keep a plane airborne on the DXe in this manner, but i had to start a the bottom of the plane pile as it were. Although the warbirds look cooler, they dont look cool in the plastic bag as you said. I never tried to hook up the Aura board to the DXe, and honestly even though i dont use Spektrum anymore, I still have yet to try a flight controller just for fun.

Another point too is that the flight controller will be a confidence builder in the beginning but could become a crutch. That does not help your skill as a pilot because it flies for you. Something to think about too. If its a non-compatibility issue with the DXe that you are having that would make sense. Really it is a budget Spektrum radio that doesnt have very many options comparitively. Higher end Spektrum radios will have these functions if you are stuck on Spektrum. Other brands that carry OpenTX programming will have the best options for the price if you are getting into multiple radios. The Radiomaster TX12 is a great option for kids or casual park flyers, and are priced better then most name brands.

Good luck

Maxx

Hi FliteTest Friends, I’ve been building FTs for a few years with my grandchildren. Love the whole process . Attended FF2018.
Most of our days end up in one plastic bag. Sure we’re getting better but it’s slow going. We recently completed Master Series P47, Corsair and a New SeaDuck#2. None test flown yet. I decided to throw some money at the problem and purchased 3 Aura5lites in an effort to compensate for poor pilot performance. So I went to install them and through FT I discovered I needed specific Satellite Receivers. So I purchased 3 compatible receivers and here I am.
My question: We use Spectrum DXe Transmitters (5 of them) and I use an older Spectrum DX6i. I could not download the Aur5lite app on my laptop? How do I proceed for a successful set up?
Note: Everything listed above came from the FT store and I happily support FT. I am not opposed to throwing more money at this one plastic bag problem. I was looking at the NX8 but hoping the 5 DXe will be compatible. We have 5 Simple Cubs the kids built and use and repair. We use a buddy cord too. The problem with that is I’m the BUDDY. I crashed my FT P51 at FF18 in Ohio, spectacularly! Lots of fun, could have been better. We just want to fly like Josh and Noah and the other guys!
I appreciate any input or direction you can offer towards the success of our mission.
Pappy
Welcome to the forum , Pappy !

Rhaps

Elite member
Welcome to the forums Pappy.

As a fellow middle-aged guy I can relate, eyes, reactions and learning speed isn't what they used to be so bagging the planes is more or less the norm.

However...
While Simple Cub looks great it I think it actually isn't the easiest thing to fly.
(I have seen hints of this from other people too but might be just confirmation bias so take it with grain of salt.)

Personally I would suggest building a Storch, after I trashed my two first Cubs I tried the Storch and everything just clicked.
It's still one of my favourite planes and can take surprisingly heavy punishment, it's the one I keep going back to - and not only because it's the one that stays in flying condition:)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Welcome to the family Pappy. I too cant seem to get that whole fixed wing thing down. But I can build em all purty like. I have some physical issues with my neck so I ended up flying multirotors thru fpv and really took well to all that.

I looked up the process to program it and came across this.... Hope it helps.

Just make sure to "write to Aura 5" other wise changes only get saved to your computer not the FC.