Need help with options for FT Explorer

GazpachoZen

I've tried reaching out to support@FliteTest.com a couple times, and have been startled (disappointed) that I've not heard back from them. I'm hoping the good people here can give me some guidance.

I started this hobby about 5 years ago(!), then life and work got in the way so I tabled everything and now can't remember where I left off. Also, I'm sure the technology and landscape have changed, so I'm begging for help. You have my complete confidence I'll probably just buy whatever you tell me to.

Background...
  • I've built and flown quads before, but have never quite succeeded with fixed wing planes.
  • I've assembled 3+ of the foam kits, so I'm familiar with all the steps.
  • I'm retiring this Summer, and am ready to jump back into this with gusto.
I presently have...
  • FrSky 2.4G Taranis Q X7 controller
  • Skyzone SKY02S V+ headset
  • Assorted batteries and chargers
... so whatever I build would have to be compatible with the above. I'd hope for the plane to have reasonably good range. I'm perfectly fine building it all from a kit, but I'd also be open to just buying something to get into the air with minimal assembly. Either or both are fine. My goal is to do FPV.

After looking back at prior notes and efforts, I'm leaning towards trying the FT Explorer again. With that in mind, I have a few questions...
  • When I tried this a few years ago, I remember there was some sort of confusion about prop sizes and motor mounting. It had a strong tendency to dive down as soon as it was launched. Has that resulted in any design or documentation changes?
  • Can this be configured to support FPV? If yes, what do you suggest that will work with my Skyzone SKY02S V+ headset?
  • The product page offers two different power packs (FT Power Pack B Radial v2 vs FT Power Pack C Radial v2), Why should I choose one vs the other?
  • Similar question for the accessories... with my concerns over this thing pushing towards the ground and my interest in FPV, should I choose the 9x4.5 props, or the 8x4.5 props?
  • What else would I need to buy to work well with my FrSky 2.4G Taranis Q X7 controller?
I have my credit card ready, and look forward the suggestions.

cjhagemeyer

So I have never build an explorer and an not aware of any design changes that have happened to it. So long as you have the required fpv equipment you can add it to any plane you want, if you're going to go long range you'll probably want to have a separate vtx battery and not use the same one that powers the rest of the plane, that said, I've never tried it and this is only speculation, and if there is anything that is required for long range builds that I'm not aware of you'll need that too.
So for the power packs, b uses a 2212 1050kv motor and c uses a 2218 1180kv motor. So c is going to have a lot more power and some more weight to it, so I'm not sure what is going to be better for a long range plane, but I've always used the c motors (I fly mainly 3D and bush planes so I need the extra thrust). I would put the largest prop you can put on the explorer, also if you ever build a plane with a puller configuration use a 10x4.5 (at least for the c motor, not sure what the b motor takes).
Along with whichever power pack you get you'll need an Frsky compatible receiver, I have used this one in the past https://store.flitetest.com/radiomaster-r88-receiver-v-2/ and it seemed to work well. I don't use it a whole lot because I prefer my spektrum receivers. But yea any plane that can handle the added weight can handle fpv.
If you're worried about having the same issue of nose diving with the explorer than I would suggest finding a different plane that could suit your long range build. The simple soarer with a motor would (I think) be a good option, but then again, I've never tried long range fpv planes.
hope this helps

tomlogan1

Elite member
If you don't mind a slight deviation, I would suggest the FT Bronco. It's a twin based upon the Explorer, very docile and like the Explorer there is lots of room for FPV equipment. I fly my Explorer with 2 2812 1534 motors and 7x6 props and it has plenty of power. It is available here on the forum as a download to be scratch built and is a very easy build. Using counter-rotating propellers eliminates torque consideration and you can deploy differential thrust. With the 7 inch props you can actually take and land from the runway off as opposed to hand launching.

Good luck.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I'd hope for the plane to have reasonably good range...
I have gone about a mile with my FPV setup, a FlySky Tx & Rx with a 250mW vTx.
I think that is a reasonably good range but you may want more. But then I live where the tall corn grows, few trees, buildings, hills, Wi-Fi & other things that can cut your range.

With a center boom like the FT Explorer, the prop size is limited to what will fit without hitting the boom.
To fit a larger prop you will need to modify the motor position. The C power pack will have more power, not sure if the prop that fits will need the extra power.

You might consider a twin boom plane like the foamboard Specter. Twin booms are easier to modify if you want a larger prop.
Larger props turning slowly have longer flight times than smaller props turning faster.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Well I did not intend to go that far. Where I live it is an ocean of corn, I got lost & could not find my way home. This was several years ago, before I got an arrow pointing home, I'll never fly without it.

GazpachoZen

Well I did not intend to go that far. Where I live it is an ocean of corn, I got lost & could not find my way home. This was several years ago, before I got an arrow pointing home, I'll never fly without it.
oooh... tell me more!
What would I need to get one of those arrows?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I don't do fpv but the explorer has tons-o-room for that. I run my explorer on a B pack with anywhere from a 1300 3s to 2300 3s battery and a 9" prop, there's not enough clearance for a bigger one. It does take at least as much down angle on the motor as the kit comes with. Since it glides so well you can get some altitude, cut the motor and once your glide is established add throttle. If it noses down with added throttle you need more down angle on the motor, up less down angle. I've uploaded an extended wing to the resource section that almost turns it into a glider. Should give you more range for less power.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
oooh... tell me more!
What would I need to get one of those arrows?
If you are using a flight controller, the arrow is built in. You will need to select it in the display.

If you are not using a FC, watch this video to setup an arrow pointing home.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
As much as I like the FT Explorer, I second tomlogan1's suggestion of the FT Bronco.

Looks like it could make for a great FPV platform.