FT Mini Scout Build (Mighty Minis)

Mstrkaratakus

My guess would be my inexperience with installing the reciever in the plane, but it would fly great until it got about 150 ft away. I range checked at 90 ft with no problem, but once it got to 150 or so,the plane developed a mind of its own lol. Thanks once again for the time and info.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
No worries Mstrkaratakus -- we're all inexperienced until we've broken it at least once ;)

150' you say, after the range test? That's no good. Obvious question would be are you sure you turned off the range test (even still, 150' is pretty short even for a crippled TX) . After that, did you orient the two antennas inline with each other? Did you point the TX antenna at the plane? either of those can put the RX/TX pair in each other's antenna null.

Linear antennas (think "just a straight wire") have a null -- a blind spot -- directly along the wire. point the transmitter antenna at the RX like shooting down the barrel of a gun and the transmitter is now shouting in every direction *except* where the RX is. same is true for the RX, but the second antenna can help -- if the RX antennas are mounted 90 degrees off of each other, one antenna might be positioned where it can't hear the TX, but not both.

You can also run into problems with shadows -- something big/bulky/electrically noisy blocking the signal -- but if it went brain dead at 150' flying away from you, that's not likely a problem.

There's also an issue called polarization -- "upright" TX antennas work well with upright RX antennas, but not with RX antennas on it's side . . . but between the two receiver antennas it shouldn't be a huge deal. If both the RX antennas are mounted horizontally, though, you're probably better off bending your TX antenna to the side, rather than straight up.

Last edited:

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Finished my scout even put a tail wheel on it. Note my daughter was filming this test its raining out side you can see the control I have with the tail wheel.

I have to wait tell it stops raining to fly her and that will be a few days because it has been raining, and will be for days. :/

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Ready to fly! With a Playmobil pilot and ailerons! Now it will be painted! :)

web_Mini_Scout_01.JPG

web_Mini_Scout_02.JPG

web_Mini_Scout_03.JPG

Last edited:

Gryf

Yes tried switching the wires and nothing happens. Think the motor is bad? Never even got to fly it.
I tried connecting the battery while having the trottle up and the esc would start to beep several times and then bring the trottle down and still the same. Now it actually doesnt do anything. I dont have another esc or motor to try to switch them to see what works so not sure what to do.

You've probably come up with a fix already, but I just noticed your post. The only time I had a sputtering motor, it was because the solder joint in one of the bullet connectors had come loose, so the motor was trying to run on only two phases. Once I figured that out, I resoldered the wire into the bullet, and am still using the motor a year later.

Hope this helps,

Gryf

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Well I madden mine it pulled hard to the right and it almost seems like the motor was facing to far down. Has any one tried it without the motor angle?

You've probably come up with a fix already, but I just noticed your post. The only time I had a sputtering motor, it was because the solder joint in one of the bullet connectors had come loose, so the motor was trying to run on only two phases. Once I figured that out, I resoldered the wire into the bullet, and am still using the motor a year later.

Hope this helps,

Gryf

Thanks. My fix was buy a new motor and esc. lol

Ready to fly! With a Playmobil pilot and ailerons! Now it will be painted! :)

View attachment 45321

View attachment 45322

View attachment 45323

Nice job on the plane.

Can you post more pics of your servos. I was thinking of doing something like that so when i crash the plane i can easily remove the servos and put into a different plane. Your pic gives me an idea, but if you can post one alittle more detailed i would appreciate it.
Also your aileron set up. Is it just one servo? What are the aileron measurements?

LooseBruce

Well I madden mine it pulled hard to the right and it almost seems like the motor was facing to far down. Has any one tried it without the motor angle?

I know this seems counter-intuitive, BUT if it pulls hard to the right from motor-prop torque you have to angle the motor MORE to the right. Make sure it glides straight first and then try this. A smaller prop would exhibit less of the prop torque problem.
LooseBruce

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Servo Mount for the FT Mini Scout and other Minis (removable servos)!

Nice job on the plane.

Can you post more pics of your servos. I was thinking of doing something like that so when i crash the plane i can easily remove the servos and put into a different plane. Your pic gives me an idea, but if you can post one alittle more detailed i would appreciate it.
Also your aileron set up. Is it just one servo? What are the aileron measurements?

Sorry but there is no room in the plane to take good pictures!

Servo mount for elevator and rudder:

FT_Mini_Scout_Servo_Mount_02.JPG

FT_Mini_Scout_Servo_Mount_01.JPG

I created a build plan. Here is a snapshot:

Ninseis_FT_Mini_Scout_Servo_Mount.JPG

and here is the pdf-file View attachment Ninseis_FT_Mini_Scout_Servo_Mount.pdf !
I use TGY-1440A servos for elevator and rudder.

Aileron servo setup:

I created a sketch based on the build plan. Here is a snapshot:

Ninseis_FT_Mini_Scout_Aileron_Plan.png

and here is the pdf-file View attachment Ninseis_FT_Mini_Scout_Aileron_Plan.pdf !
I use one servo for the ailerons. It is a TGY-1800A. The double-arm of the servo is over the hot glue line.

Aileron servo mount:

FT_Mini_Scout_Aileron_Servo_Mount_02.JPG

FT_Mini_Scout_Aileron_Servo_Mount_01.JPG

Ninseis_FT_Mini_Scout_Aileron_Servo_Mount.JPG

View attachment 45470

Here is the pdf-file View attachment 45471 !

Here the measurements of the ailerons:

FT_Mini_Scout_Aileron_01.JPG

17,5 cm = 6.89 inches and 2,5 cm = 0.98 inches

Last edited:
Sorry but there is no room in the plane to take good pictures!

Servo mount for elevator and rudder:
I created a build plan. Here is a snapshot:

View attachment 45434

and here is the pdf-file View attachment 45435 !
I use TGY-1440A servos for elevator and rudder.

Aileron servo setup:
I created a sketch based on the build plan. Here is a snapshot:

View attachment 45436

and here is the pdf-file View attachment 45437 !
I use one servo for the ailerons. It is a TGY-1800A. The double-arm of the servo is over the hot glue line.

Aileron servo mount:

View attachment 45438

Here is the pdf-file View attachment 45439 !

The aileron measurements follow!

Did you have to cutout the wing inside the fueselage to fit the servo in for the ailerons?

NiceWarlock

New to building and flying. Will these parts work?

Hi,

I new to building and flying rc planes. I am building the FT Tiny Trainer as well as FT Mini Scout.

I bought the following parts in hope that they would work for both the planes and more planes. Will these parts work with Mini scout, Tiny Trainer.

Also what other planes I could scratch build with the same parts or minor modifications to these parts. I plan to velcro the parts to the body instead of glueing them so I can easily reuse them across other planes.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Hi NiceWarlock!

You have a CW-Propeller (CW = ClockWise) in your setup, but you need a CCW-Propeller (CCW = CounterClockWise). For this motor you should try a 7x4 SF propeller.

The other parts should work. Motor, ESC and Lipo are a bit heavy, so the plane could be front heavy. Try different lipo-places for the perfect Center of Gravity. Or use a smaller (lighter) lipo.

The AR400 is a 4channel receiver, so you need a Y Servo Lead for the two aileron servos of the Tiny Trainer - when you want ailerons.

The Dx5e has one switch for all low/high-rates - for the elevator, rudder and ailerons! And it has no Expo!!! When you are new in rc plane flying, you shold use expo for a better handling! Try the Dx6i.

Velcro is ok for the ESC, the receiver and the Lipo.

Look in the models recommended electronics section at flitetest store and you should know, what other planes you could scratch build (the FT Mini Speedster!)

NiceWarlock

Hi NiceWarlock!

You have a CW-Propeller (CW = ClockWise) in your setup, but you need a CCW-Propeller (CCW = CounterClockWise). For this motor you should try a 7x4 SF propeller.

The other parts should work. Motor, ESC and Lipo are a bit heavy, so the plane could be front heavy. Try different lipo-places for the perfect Center of Gravity. Or use a smaller (lighter) lipo.

The AR400 is a 4channel receiver, so you need a Y Servo Lead for the two aileron servos of the Tiny Trainer - when you want ailerons.

The Dx5e has one switch for all low/high-rates - for the elevator, rudder and ailerons! And it has no Expo!!! When you are new in rc plane flying, you shold use expo for a better handling! Try the Dx6i.

Velcro is ok for the ESC, the receiver and the Lipo.

Look in the models recommended electronics section at flitetest store and you should know, what other planes you could scratch build (the FT Mini Speedster!)

Thanks a lot AircPirateNinsei!!.

I did order a Y cable but this one: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=65769
Not sure if that one will work. Will it?

Yeah I was aware of ESC/Motor/Battery being more heavy but I was trying to see if I can use them for this plane and reuse them for a slightly larger plane as well. Motor thrust seems to be enough for the combined weight and has room for almost 200gm foam body instead of 115gm that mini scout is.

Thanks for the note on props. Didnt realize the direction. Since I saw them listed under RC Airplane props and not heli props I assumed the direction would be correct. Are these waste then or could I use them in something?
For twin engine do the props need to be 1 CW and 1 CCW or both will be CCW.