FT mini scout is my first scratch build, wondering if i screwed up already.

mesoseven

I'm a bit through building my first scratch build, the ft mini scout, it's my second build overall, my first being the tiny trainer from a kit. I accidentally installed the horizontal stabilizer upside down, such that the bevel is facing up, not down, will that affect anything really? Also I'm wondering if i can skip installing the turtle deck for a while because i don't have poster board right now. Also Also i must've screwed up the fuselage (i did on the tiny trainer too), Because the dihedral is slightly higher on one side than the other. I'm wondering if any of these issues might cause major problems in the air. Sorry I'm a terrible scratch builder.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
None of those things sound critical. The turtle deck is only for looks. The plane should fly fine.

mesoseven

None of those things sound critical. The turtle deck is only for looks. The plane should fly fine.
thanks, i was pretty sure, my approach right now is to apply minimal effort so i don't feel as bad for crashing them. I'd rather an ugly plane i'm willing to screw around with than a pretty plane that never leaves my shelf.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I'm with Merv, you should be fine. I've started using paper card stock instead of poster board. It's easier to work with and saves some weight.

JDSnavely

The Mini Scout is a great flier with the landing gear attached (flies like it has stabilization). So, if it doesn't fly well, and you can't get it adjusted, you might want to just start another. The great thing about the Mini Scout is that it is relatively easy to build in a short period of time. I also have never used posterboard. Just card stock or foamboard.

ColoFlyer

As the others mentioned, I agree I think it will be fine. As far as the turtle deck, I started using standard like 3 tab File Folders opened up, then I cut out the design. Cheap and works well.