FT Old Fogey (Swappable) - Scratch Build

yachik

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1026.html what do you all think of this as a start Include :
Detrum pro 18A brushless speed control (include 3A BEC built in)
Detrum BM2806CD-KV1200 Motor (1pc)
Detrum 9g servo (3pcs)
8x4 prop (1pc)
Connector Style - Banana-plug (3pcs)
Specs:
Voltage: 12V (3cell Lipo Max)
Current: 9A
Thrust: 450g

$32.00 lol

a list of what you all added to yours would be cool thank you .

JonMackie

The Fogey airframe is now complete... Now I eagerly await my HobbyKing shipment!
IMG_0029.JPG

Here is what I ordered:
- hexTronik 24 gram 1300kv brushless
- hexTronik 9gram servos
- Turnigy AE-25Amp ESC
- a couple 2cell 500mAh and 1 3cell 1000mAh (not sure if that will work or not)
- a pack of SlowFly 8045 props and a pack of 9047s

What weight are you guys coming in at upon completion, with the power-pod and Lipo installed?

Bolvon72

Mentor
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1026.html what do you all think of this as a start Include :
Detrum pro 18A brushless speed control (include 3A BEC built in)
Detrum BM2806CD-KV1200 Motor (1pc)
Detrum 9g servo (3pcs)
8x4 prop (1pc)
Connector Style - Banana-plug (3pcs)
Specs:
Voltage: 12V (3cell Lipo Max)
Current: 9A
Thrust: 450g

$32.00 lol

a list of what you all added to yours would be cool thank you .

It'll fly, what size battery do you plan on using? I fly mine with the Suppo 2208 1450kv, 18 amp esc and a 1800mAh 2s. I do use a 9x5 prop on it but in the video I posted of the maiden it was a 8x4. Looks like you'll be in the air soon.

MrClean

I found a further forward CG to be better flying on this airplane. Looks like your tail is drooping too.

Lynnsabcs

I'm new to RC and have my first indoor flyin in 2 weeks. I have both Baby Blender and Old Fogey almost finished except for some parts.

The Old Fogey is slow flying enough to fly indoors, but is pretty large for a middle school gym. Thinking about building a 50% Old Fogey today.

Need some sage advice on motor, battery, prop and servo size for a smaller build. Would appx. half size on all these items be workable?

Will post some photos and video if it works and I can get all the parts in time.

I imagine the lines for the fuse bends and the rear tail joints will have to be sized out to make room for the thickness of the Dollar Tree foam board. Interesting to see how much a 50% decrease in plans will effect those dimensions.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Lynnsabcs

Retirement is Great!

Got the 50% Old Fogey, or maybe, Half-a-Old Fogey built today.

The plans printed out 2 pages each for the wing plans and the fuse plans.

1st pic--fuselage plan printed on 2 instead of 8 pages.
2nd pic is the wing plan also 2 instead of 8.
3rd pic is the full set of plans on less than one sheet of foam board.

I've been cutting out the pieces as a pattern, drawing around them and then cutting them out.
This time, I tried a lite tack coat of rubber cement direct to the foam board and then cut exactly
on the plan lines. Seemed, to me, to work a little better and quicker.

Attachments

• 50%FusePrint.jpg
    50%FusePrint.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 50%Wings.jpg
    50%Wings.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 50%Plans.jpg
    50%Plans.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Lynnsabcs

Cut out the fuselage first. I had already figured out that all the lines that are cut 1/2 thru and folded over
needed to be the same thickness as the foam board. So I added appx. the width to each line plus cut the
notches deeper so they would be thick enough.

Attachments

• 50%Fuse.jpg
    50%Fuse.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 80

Lynnsabcs

The foam is already cut out, but I hope you can see that the lines are wider. Everything
went together fairly well, except I had to do some trim some on the back thin pieces to
get it all the fit. I also managed to glue the elevator upside down so the cut bevel shows.

Attachments

• 50%Side.jpg
    50%Side.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 50%FullPlaneA.jpg
    50%FullPlaneA.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 50%PlaneB.jpg
    50%PlaneB.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 47

Lynnsabcs

The finished dimensions of the plane are-- Wing span: apx. 19",
length: apx. 15", rear eleavator, apx. 8 1/4" and rudder, apx. 4 1/2"
tall.

I don't have an electronic scale, just an old fogey mechanical postage
scale. It weighs 2 ozs. without any electronics.

Here is a side-by-side with the fullsize Fogey with a 12" ruler to give an
idea of size.

Attachments

• BothPlanes.jpg
    BothPlanes.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 58

Lynnsabcs

The width of the body is a little less than 1" so I thought about staggering the servos
on two plates, one behind the other. Do I still need 9 gr servos or will micro servos
work? Not decided whether to do a power pod or not, but I could use it if I do a 50%
Baby Blender (Infant Blender?).

MrClean

One of the things that doesn't scale down well is air. There is a whole lotta air in the Baby Blender construction and I'm afraid you just don't have enouhg places on a plane that small to stuff air into. So I'd nix the power pod idea and just mount your motor and controller straight to that body and stagger the servos as planned. Maybe mount them to the inside of the fuse with the arm sticking through the fuse and hooking directly up to a pushrod that way. You might have wanted to use larger control surfaces, we'll see bout that when you fly. The loads on your surfaces will be miniscule so by all means, use micro servos.

JonMackie

She Flys!

So I'm pretty darn excited! Before Christmas this past year, I'd never flown RC but always wanted to. For Christmas I got a cheap coax heli and I caught the flite bug! Since then I researched and watched a lot of videos and decided to build the FT Old Fogey. As of last night, she flys! Earlier today I stuck on a 3cell and attached my GoPro and this is what I got!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uOtN5CPU8A&feature=youtu.be
Its not perfect, but considering the weight of a GoPro with its stock case, I wasn't upset at all!
Thank you Flitetest! Dream come true!

Bolvon72

Mentor
Took the Old Fogey up as far as my eyes would allow me. With the glide slope it took a good four minutes to get it back. Nice view of my tiny town.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Come on someone has to know it! I only need new pushrods and it will fly. I even got creative and build a firewall out of foam and heavily reinforced it. Motor and all that are on there pretty good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
Last edited: