FT Tiny Trainer - BUILD

Il Grigio

Crafty Dan! Hello to you and the Forum and thank you for your welcome! I apologize for not saying hello first. And thank you for explaining me the the power pods construction, now I've got it. Best regards, Il Grigio

Il Grigio

Hi! I've built a TT, but I have Problems to bring him into the air or better to stay there. Is a APC slow prop 6/4 OK? The Motor is a 15 grams brushless, recommended for a plane weight up to 350 grams. When I try to start, the plane turns to the right hand side and hits the ground, I cannot give elevator fast enough to Keep him away from touching the ground. Anyone with a helpful tipp? I am a novice in modelsports, so maybe it is sonmething simple that is wrong. Motor turns in the right direction and all functions work well, I have checked that.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Please verify that the propeller on your plane turns in an anticlockwise direction when viewed from the front.

If it does not then motor direction should be changed and the propeller swapped out for a CCW propeller.

The reason I sat that is that normally the roll and dive is to the left when viewed from behind. This is normally caused by a property called "P" factor which is normally reduced in effect by the provision of side thrust into the power pod build.

Il Grigio

Hi! When I start the TT I feel the wind from the prop pushing the plane Forward. This means the prop works well,, doesnt it? Because otherwise the plane would be pushed backwards?

TooJung2Die

Master member
Hi! When I start the TT I feel the wind from the prop pushing the plane Forward. This means the prop works well,, doesnt it? Because otherwise the plane would be pushed backwards?

Test glide the airplane without the motor turning. You may have to trim it to fly level with power off first. Something may be slightly warped like the wing.
Jon

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

There are 2 different ways a motor can rotate and props are available to match the rotation direction of the motor. They are labelled as either CW, (clockwise), and CCW, (Counter clockwise). The power pod on the TT is designed upon the assumption that you would be using a CCW prop and so it has right side thrust built in.

If you are using a CW prop, (and the motor is connected to rotate CW), then yes it will give thrust and want to fly forward BUT the thrust angle would be totally wrong and the plane would very rapidly roll and turn to the right and crash EVERY time.

There is a simple way to fix this issue but you do need to know which direction of rotation of the motor you are using.
If you are using a CW prop and therefore the motor rotates CW then you can quickly fix the problem by removing the power pod and refitting it UPSIDE DOWN.

Please verify that you are using CCW props or the set up is totally wrong!

Have fun!

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Beginners question: how can i find out wether it is a ccw prop or not? THX for help.
first, find the prinnted numbers/letters on the blades. That is front / top of the prop. Then find the top rib / leading edge. Spin the prop in the direction of that leading edge and it will either go clockwise or counterclockwise.

propeller-direction-600x433.jpg

Good luck!

Il Grigio

Another question where I am looking for an answer. If I want to paint the TT, what Kind of paint should I use? Water based? I tried, but it does not work well on foamboard, all others will weak the foam? THX for Input. Best regards, Il Grigio

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
The TT was my first painted plane too (last year). I use spray paint. The key is VERY light coats. Over time I've found that painting the flat foamboard before building can be the easier way to go, but that shouldn't stop you from trying to paint it after it's built.

Here's my post in this thread from way back then.
I just finished my TT. Second FT build. First time painting. Can't wait to maiden it.

View attachment 66508

Il Grigio

Looks great! You mounted the servo for the rudder backwards and outside the plane - did you have any problems therewith? How di you fix the servo? Same procedure on the elevator?

Many Setup Questions

Hi Everyone,

New to the hobby but already feel it is very rewarding and the flying is coming along nicely. I scratch built a TT with the old adams board. I am learning alone with the help of the FT site and videos and of course the forum. Mainly wanted to run through my setup and see if anybody has some input for making things better.

I am currently running

Motor Multistar V-Spev 1808-2400KV with CCW thread from HK
Turnigy 12A Plush ESC
Turnigy 4.3g Digital Servos
Turnigy 2S 800mAh (59g) and Turnigy 3S 800mAh (70g)
Have tried 5x3 and mainly using 6x3 gemfam props, have 6.4 APC style on order

Some issues:
I'm in Canada so feel a little limited to HK and Banggood.

When I bought the motors I knew I needed it to spin CCW so when I saw that tag on the stores I thought thats what I needed. Didn't realize it meant the thread. So that is one issue but fairly simple, i have some nylock nuts on order so that the prop doesn't come off mid flight like it did today when I finally mustered up the courage to put the 3S on.

I orginally had a LDPower MT2206-1900KV with the 5x3 and 6x3 props and it felt underpowered. What prop would be good for this with 2S and 3S?

Props. I had ordered the gemfam originally from HK and those were breaking pretty easy on landings as i see is a common thing. So i ordered 40 of the gemfam style orange 6x3s from Banggood. They are much more flexible and seem to last better. I have also since enabled the brake feature on the ESC and seems to make a huge difference. I'm hoping the APC style is even better but then again its from Banggood not sure how that compares to real APC.

Lastly what tutorials have people used to learn to fly? I am in the air now fairly high and am looking for things to work on. Today I was just working on maintaining the same altitude and changing speeds.

Any comments or suggestions is much appreciated.
Jon

2017-04-08 FT TT.jpg

Verris

Hey Jon,

Just saw this post too. Motors can be confusing, it depends on the motor brand unfortunately, I've seen motors referred to by both thread and direction. The nylocs will do fine.

As for ordering, banggood and HK are fine if you don't mind waiting, and HK US is great if you need batteries and can drive to the US border. I can get to ogdensburg in 45 minutes so I'll order them there and go pick them up.

Great Hobbies is probably the largest chain in Canada. They are unquestionably more expensive, but you're not going to wait for shipping like from China. They also are the official dealer for FliteTest in Canada and carry a lot of their stuff including power packs.

My favourite people to order from right now are in North York I believe, RotorGeeks. In Ottawa I usually get my package the next day if I order in the morning. Excellent support. They are more geared towards quads, but if you need a motor or esc quickly, it's a great resource.

There are also a lot of other local hobby shops around Toronto, enough to make me Jealous of the two we get in Ottawa. It does end up costing a bit more, but since I've started buying quality parts rather than the cheapest option I could find from China, my experience has improved quite a bit. And I don't mind spending a bit more to support someone local.

Hey thanks again for the info. I knew about great hobbies a will definitely be buying from them especially the FT stuff like the foam board. Will look into Rotor geeks for sure too. Some of th LHS I've been to have not been very helpful experiences but hey its their business.

Il Grigio

A beginners question: what Kind of accu (battery) do I Need if I'm going to use the TT as a glider plane? The usual battery delivers too much power for the servo. A four cell eneloop pack is quite heavy. Would it be possible to use the regular motorflight battery and the BEC without the motor? The BEC transforms the voltage into a capacaty that can be used by the servos without killing them. And the regular 2cell LiPo is much lighter in weight then anything else. THX for help. Best regards, Il Grigio.

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
Would it be possible to use the regular motorflight battery and the BEC without the motor?
Best regards, Il Grigio.

Yes, that will work well. Insulate the motor wires so they don't touch. Use the smallest ESC with BEC you have to save weight. (Unless of course you need more weight to get the CG correct then use a heavier ESC)
Jon