FT-Viggen Build

Pelicanglider

Hot glue doesn't like vinyl, so what you need to do is to trace over all the cut and score lines with a blade, and peel away the paper (and vinyl) on all glue seams. This isn't too difficult to do.

HowlingWolven, thanks for the help with this. I wanted to get this figured out before vs. after I started my build. :cool:

Jimmyp

I just got around to fixing my Viggen after the wings folded while flying at Flite Fest in July. Just used a couple of BBQ skewers.
viggen repair 1.JPG
Here is the last 2 mins of my flight this afternoon. Very nice day for the 5th of December in Ontario.

Edwardchew

Dude, that looks Fantastic!!! Great Job!
Hey bro thanks! I love it too!

I just got around to fixing my Viggen after the wings folded while flying at Flite Fest in July. Just used a couple of BBQ skewers.
View attachment 59248
Here is the last 2 mins of my flight this afternoon. Very nice day for the 5th of December in Ontario.
Hey bro. I had the same issue at first. Just adding carbon rod beneath the wing then I have the confident banking fast. Nicer this way rather than exposed bbq skew. ;)

Jimmyp

Right you are about the carbon. I just cheeped out and went for function over fashion. (plus I'm getting low on carbon and need what I have for another project.)

xviper

Twin Viggen

I figured this was going to be a boring winter with few opportunities to fly so I bought 2 FT Viggen kits to make a twin Viggen, something like the twin P-51 Mustang. I've got it almost finished now, with only painting left and then to install all the control horns and Rx. I've built it as a twin, counter-rotating 70mm EDF, 3000KV motors, 6-blade fans, running on 4S twin 2200mah batteries, twin 50A ESCs. Don't know if it'll fly. Will find out when spring comes.
It's double re-enforced with one carbon spar for each each plane plus a square carbon rob that overlaps the 2 to prevent the wings from folding. The central rear control surface is mixed for elevator function only. The inner canards are glued together where they meet and this makes the front of the structure quite stiff. Additionally, I've installed a 5mm round CF rod that spans the 2 top ridges for more stiffening and for a hand hold when launching. It also happens to be exactly where the CG is. It balances with the batteries just sticking into the pointy beak. I could go with 3300 mah, 4s bats that would live entirely in the battery bay and give longer flight time, but that would be an added expense since I have lots of 2200's around. As is, this is likely the cheapest twin EDF plane I've had. It's a bargain if it flies.
I had a single Viggen with a similar drivetrain but augered it into the dirt when I lost it in the sun. I've always wanted another one since. David did a terrific job of designing this plane and his build video has been a tremendous help. Too bad they exported him back to his home country. I hope he's doing well.

Attachments

• IMG_2370.JPG
    IMG_2370.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
  • IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    549.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2374.JPG
    IMG_2374.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2375.JPG
    IMG_2375.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 7

WoodyInMD

Fly My Pretty, Fly!
Kudos to David on this great design!

I elected to go with a 64mm Dr MadThrust EDF, an EMax 60A ESC and Zippy 3000 4S packs. Just finished the build and looking forward to getting the maiden in when i can next get to my local flying field.

I can't resist modifying kits as i go and this one was no different. I added a rudder and canard control surfaces. Judging by other comments I could have foregone the rudder but what the hey. Canard control is a switchable mix: OFF, Pitch-Only and Pitch/Roll. Will see how things go with that.....

Empty weight is 695 g, LiPo is 325 g for a total of 1020 g. Pretty sure i had tested the EDF at around 1.07 kg thrust, so that's a good start and there's some scope to reduce the weight to under the 1 kg mark by moving to a 6ch Orange Rx (instead of the current 9ch) and getting rid of the TM1000 unit i've installed for the first flight(s).

Thanks again to David and Flite Test for making the hobby affordable and educational all in the same neat package.

Top view:
2016-01-24 21.08.12_sml.jpg

My usual ventral colour scheme:
2016-01-26 20.19.53_sml.jpg

Canard control:
2016-01-29 19.41.00.jpg

LiPo crush structure:
2016-01-26 19.56.38.jpg

xviper

Twin Viggen

Finally got it painted. Just need to do control horns and rods, then RX hook-up/programming.

Attachments

• IMG_2396.JPG
    IMG_2396.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG

WoodyInMD

Fly My Pretty, Fly!
Finally crunched the frames from my FT Viggen maiden flight(s).

What an awesome little jet. Plenty fast enough on a 64mm EDF and 4S and also slows down to a crawl when you want it to. There's some extreme high alpha flight during the second part fo the clip (around the 2m20s and on. I had the benefit of some head wind but even so, this is one great $3 airframe!

T44driver

1 sheet of foam for wings not enough, i think

The fuselage is about 780g or 1lb 11.1 oz -that's with batt, & electronics. One sheet of foam for the wing doesn't support this weight, especially if you get some speed and pull for g's. (I heard the crack from the ground, turned it into a V-shaped leaf) I beveled the leading edges (nerd nic fast wing style, about 1'' back using sanding blocks), used tape on leading edges to help shape some roundness and doubled the wing with 2 sheets. Because the leading edge is cranked, I cut the top panel into 3 parts; taped the leading edges together, glued the wing, and folded it back--worked ok, not perfect. Then I cut out channels for basswood. I made a strong 1/4" wide middle spar (overkill?) and used 1/8"x1/4" thin strips to add rigidity. My thick spar is 9grams, thin cut strips are about 2g. I didn't double or taper the elevens...hope the air is turbulent by this point on the wing so the step down will be ok, like a KF-airfoil. Glue, wood and extra sheeting turned the original ~65gram single sheet wing into 129g. Considering the total a/c weight with battery, I hope the extra ~60g weight won't hurt performance, but add robust strength IMG_0962.JPG . Hope for 2nd maiden flight soon when the wx clears up.

T44driver

One more photo of my strengthened wing

IMG_0963.JPG
1.4 meg photo to show more details. First, single sheet wing failed on maiden flight, but I could land it. Here's my mod for extra strength. Servo shape cut-outs on upper wing sheet only. I cut the upper panel into 3 parts, tapered the inside leading edge areas, taped the panels at the leading edge and folded them back, pulling a bit to get somewhat of a rounded leading edge. Thick main spar meets one thin one in a triangle shape for extra rigidity. Second thin spar added for grins. I like to yank and bank! Upper panel stops at elevons...may try to smooth this out later with a tapered upper panel. I hope some colored tape (experimental airlines style) will pretty up the rough upper contours and add contrast for inflight orientation.

Looks quite heavy duty. I got some 3x1mm carbon spars and hot glued them into the wing after score cut and opening it out with a fold. i had never done it before. the one closest to the trailing edges was my first try. i made a bit of a mess of it first time but i managed to fix it. on the other 2 i opened the gap out with a BBQ skewer first and it turned out much better. i then covered both sides with orange vinyl.

20160412_202602.jpg 20160412_202610.jpg

EricR

Viggen with 12-bladed 70 mm EDF

70 mm 12-bladed EDF runs on 4s batteries - the sound output is more jet-like !! I also cut two cheater holes in the bottom(see pics) for better high alpha air-flow, they make great launching handles and it improved the jet-like sound quality. The cheater holes were cut alongside the internal box-like structure so that I grip the outside of that battery/electronics "box" - very durable for launching overhand. The plane with this setup flies great slow or fast. today in 15mph winds, I could float and even hover into the wind and then punch the throttle to zoom foward... Great flights! I had to reinforce the wing with a 3mm carbon rod because of the wing flex. I also finished the plane with colored packing tape - more moisture-resistant and improved overall strength of the airframe. I added a rudder but it's only a portion of the vertical stabilizer and it helped to prevent some of the adverse roll as the rudder is activated... I enjoy using the rudder.

Attachments

• 20160620_201001.jpg
    20160620_201001.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20160620_201012.jpg
    20160620_201012.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20160620_200930crop.jpg
    20160620_200930crop.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 0