FTCA Insurance - Yes or No

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The end of the year is coming very soon. My current insurance provider has already sent out invoices to everyone for 2022.

Is FTCA going to offer liability insurance for next year? @FTCA Director, it’s time we get an answer, yes or no.

Last edited:

Mr.Grinch

It’s being worked on but they aren’t ready to give information out yet, let alone provide insurance.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Just a few more days in 2021. Anybody heard anything on FTCA insurance?
Really no reason to expect it any time soon.
I don't think it will happen until after the new FAA guidelines are released.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
i would go with my regular provider for now, how much is the premium?
For me, $75/year. $140 for 2 years.

Back in the 90’s, my current insurance provider sued my former provider out of existence, Sport Flyers of Americian. They just don’t want any competition, I’m not happy with them.

If FTCA eventually provides insurance, I hope they don’t suffer the same fate.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
FTCA coverage applies to registered health care clinicians and other persons authorized to provide medical or other professional health care services within the scope of their official duties. I think that ut's totally worth it to get the FTCA insurance if you're a medical worker since it can make your life way easier.
I’d like to know where your information is coming from.
I’ve been asking for information for months now & heard nothing from FTCA

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
FTCA coverage applies to registered health care clinicians and other persons authorized to provide medical or other professional health care services within the scope of their official duties. I think that ut's totally worth it to get the FTCA insurance if you're a medical worker since it can make your life way easier.
As far as we know, there is no FTCA insurance.
Are you privy to some inside info we don't know of, and could you share your source, please?

EDIT: Found the info...It's NOT about Flite Test Community Association insurance.
It's about Federal Tort Claims Act.
Searched/Copied/Pasted:

"What is FTCA coverage?
This “FTCA coverage” applies to licensed, registered or certified health care clinicians and other persons authorized to provide medical or other professional health care services within the scope of their official duties. ... FTCA coverage is comparable to an “occurrence” policy without a monetary cap."

Last edited:

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor

I think you are referring to insurance coverage from being sued under the FTCA (Federal Tort Claims Act) and not anything to do with the FTCA (Flite Test Community Association). Or I'm I wrong. It's Monday, so that's a distinct possibility. :p

bisco

Elite member
how does one go about signing up for a forum and making one post about a completely unrelated subject with the same acronym? :unsure:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
FTCA coverage applies to registered health care clinicians and other persons authorized to provide medical or other professional health care services within the scope of their official duties. I think that ut's totally worth it to get the FTCA insurance if you're a medical worker since it can make your life way easier. However, if you want to get this type of insurance, Y]ou must work for a health center that is eligible to participate in the FTCA program. An excellent way to find out more about this kind of medicare insurance is through medisupps.com.
Please read post #11, the FTCA you are referring to, IS NOT Flite Test Community Association that we are referring to.

skymaster

Elite member
For me, $75/year. $140 for 2 years.

Back in the 90’s, my current insurance provider sued my former provider out of existence, Sport Flyers of Americian. They just don’t want any competition, I’m not happy with them.

Do you know what they got sued for.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

I'm not concerned with the AMA "suing the FTCA out of existence".

First, because that's not what happened to the Sport Flyers of America. They shot themselves in the foot.

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/am...tever-happened-sports-flyers-association.html

Second, it would be the worst PR move that the AMA could do.

The AMA has made their entire business model around the fact if you wanted to fly, you had to fly at an AMA field. And to do that you had to join the AMA. Planes were too big to fly pretty much anywhere else. But then park flyers and drones came out and you could fly those anywhere. AMA fields also have a reputation of not being very friendly to new pilots. So while the hobby has grown to at least 2 million pilots (registration numbers from the FAA) the AMA couldn't even get ten percent of those pilots.

Along comes remote ID. Supposedly the AMA fights for us, but they're in a situation where the FAA is offering to force those 2 million people to either install remote ID, join the AMA, or get out of the hobby. I just can't see the AMA fighting too hard against a potential increase in their membership of a significant percentage of 1.8 million people.

If the AMA was to go after the FTCA in a legal manner at this point, it would look more like they were trying to fight a group that formed to protect pilots who don't fly at AMA fields, on top of the obvious attack on someone infringing on their monopoly.

All that said, we've also seen that the AMA is really, REALLY bad at managing their public image, so who knows?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Is FTCA going to offer liability insurance for next year? @FTCA Director, it’s time we get an answer, yes or no.

Short answer, from what I heard on the podcasts, is no.

They looked into the insurance that is available (and what the AMA is offering) and they didn't see a value in it. The insurance that AMA offers isn't a primary insurance. They insist every other form of insurance you have is exhausted before they kick in.

There was talk about flying site insurance instead of individual insurance. Which would be good if you open a field on private property.

I recently worked with my county and we now have a flying site that is on county land. County insurance is covering it just like any other park. They will want event insurance if we ever hold an event here, but that's only fair.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...we now have a flying site that is on county land...
Im glad you have an FTCA flying site. I have several non AMA flying sites in my area. How does one get the FTCA designation?

We need more non AMA flying sites.

I'm not concerned with the AMA "suing the FTCA out of existence"....
I hope you are correct.
I’m guessing there is another side to the story SFA.