FTFC'18 WWII - Ushakov LPL Flying Submarine by FoamyDM

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Okay, it's hard to see in the vid, but I presume my reaction should be "Ouch!"?

Did it survive the crash? Any gruesome pics?

DamoRC

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I agree a wagon is what i need. The damage was minor a busted tail, and a crumpled wing... may effect the ailerons... and a lost rudder rod.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Have you considered a bungee launcher? Might get you up to airspeed more quickly and safely...

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Might I ask what the all up weight of the existing form the model is?

As for the wagon for ground run take off You could try the old style wheeled trucks that were fitted under the inter-war biplane seaplane floats to haul them ashore for maintenance. They were just a small cradle that the float was rested in and the cradle had a wheel, (or wheels), mounted under it so that the wheel/s became the plane support on land.

As for steering, thrust vectoring and the rudder could be linked to give effective steering on the ground for taxiing and take off purposes.

The video is very dark and unclear but you mentioned that the plane inverted, (?), if so the possible causes apart from the usual build or alignment errors could be the high drag conning tower and the motor thrust angles not being sufficiently down making the drag centre, (and possibly the CG), above the thrust centre line and the nose up or roll to the stable position is always going to be the result. also check the weight balance side to side, (laterally).

Just a few things that might help, (I Hope).

Have fun!

FoamyDM

This "flew" with two 2200 mAh 3S 25C batteries. 1 hooked to the main motor, and the other hooked to the smaller outboard motors. It was ground friction that halted loft from the ground.

Why do my planes insist on flipping over though... that's just weird? that batteries where at the base of the Spar, in the front cavity on each side of the fuselage.... velcro-d in.

So a few things first on the retry, only one battery, at least at first until it gets airborne. This means soldering a 3:1 lead together...no biggie.

@ Rockyboy and TurtlesThatFly - A catapult sled might be smart, for all my builds. Definitely the sled.

Raining now... We'll see.

@ Rockyboy and TurtlesThatFly - A catapult sled might be smart, for all my builds. Definitely the sled.

Sound's good! :D

Raining now... We'll see.

It's raining up here in Western Washington too! I also have a 4 day weekend and three projects to juggle... let's wait and see what you, me, and the forum will end up making for this Veteran's Day weekend. :eek:

FoamyDM

end of 2017 project Update

Crashes mainly.... I had life and holidays and motivation beat away most of my free time during this last month. that coupled with setbacks on the plane.

Preflight I decided to mount my landing gear. Interestingly, they land just inside the designated floats. I therefore didn't re-gule the pontoons. I started up the taxi. (first taxi ever) Then I throttled up and it started to turn left in a 30ft arc. I figure if I gun it (bad idea) that I could get it in the air. Well I gunned it and it got into the air about 6-8 feet, and began to roll left. I tried to corrected but it head down fast. at 8', that's not much time. I pulled the elevator and leveled it into a hard belly land.

It broke the main prop, and ripped the gear out, damaged the starboard wing-tip again. and the conning tower ripped off. The video angle was too far up to see what happened. all you I managed was noise and one shot at the end of the bare bones.

Then I filmed this:

and I never un-paused for the flight.

Fixed up the wing tip and decided to hand launch with just the side props. 5s I think. it went up rolled over, flew about 2 seconds and then tanked as I pulled the wrong way on the elevator. (inverted controls...)

At the end I "stopped" the video which started the video of just a post-mortem walk of shame video of my legs and the huff of disappointment.

never got back on the horse the rest of the vacation. mostly emotional distress from outside the hobby.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Its sad to her that man, I along with many others really were looking forward to this project. I don't think Ill be able to do anything with this plane soon but do you have the plans for it still? I would be willing to give it a shot, well maybe not make it submerge and all, but I'd love to build one.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sorry to hear this mate. Winter always drags me down like that as well. Hard to find motivation to even bother eating on some days for me. (not that it matters as I still have a decent winter store to live off of AKA beer belly) With spring and sunshine I am sure motivation and out look will improve. It always does. Keep yer head up and have a good and happy new year.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm sorry to hear about the setback. I can sympathize.

Last year doing the Caudron C.460 for the International Racer build I did a complete yard sale on two full size builds of my entry during testing (this was after my two half size prototypes were destroyed, but I didn't expect them to survive).

It took a while to get the juices flowing again, and it was really through a lot of the community support here - and other people starting to build my design - that got me back into finishing one up.

And I lawn darted it into the ground at FliteFest after the race event, but that's a different story. :black_eyed:

So anyway, don't feel bad about stepping back for a bit from this - and let the energy of others here help drive the project forward and get you swept back into the spirit!

As they say on the Red Green Show, "keep your stick on the ice, we're all pulling for you" :)

(and anyone on this forum who doesn't know the Red Green Show really needs to do a quick youtube search. I don't apologize one bit for the hours of what could have been productive time that will be spent laughing instead)

FoamyDM

Episode IV - A New hope.

First - Thank you everyone who've been interested and helpful and supportive. It really is meaningful and helpful.

I see, based on the pizza toss and the other 7sec flight, that this project is Officially past Phase 1, along with the Sigma SAM-7. (sadly didn't get my Kalinin K-7 up yet.)

I do want to assure everyone, that I will be continuing with this project. I think it can make for some amazing RC.

Take-aways from the 2017 portion of this project:

During this project so far, there were many moments of hope
  • it lifted, it Lifted, on it's own.
  • It generated more interest than I expected.
  • It turned out exactly like I planed visually.
  • I can use it in the snow and rain if I want.
  • I'm certain that this can be made to be submersible!
There are still things to work on and try out again.
  • I need to work out the gear better: Right now, I'm a noob at gear. The shouldn't have ripped out that easily. Now I think I can incorporate them into the pontoons though.
  • I have a Fuselage adjustment to make too: I have the fuse notched out to accommodate the tall n-box spar. this left inadequate material at the top corners at the Conning Tower mount holes, causing a breakage needing glue & Popsicle splints.
  • I may change the spar to be less robust.
  • I plan to redo the tail controls to one layer. Had some damage I noticed before right before ground launch, far more play on the starboard side than the port side of the elevator, and the rudder was not designed to take the weight of the craft, so runway taxi-ing had to be controlled using differential thrust. (which I forget I have so...oops) :)
  • Re-do the Control setup: There has always been something fishy with the throttle controls. I'm not sure it is working correctly. In the setup, I slave the side motors (Ch5 and Ch6) to ch3 (Thr) (main motor) and then tie them to rudder at a 60% ratio, left rud turns on right motor, and right rud turns up left motor. always leaving room for throttle control.
  • Inverted, it flew/floated (for just about 20 feet.) While not long, It felt strongly like flight, and not a fall with style. :)

I need to figure out why my planes want to Flip!

Now, on most other months, this would've been rebuild twice over and crashed. But since everything it's it will have to wait until this month... Thank you everyone for your encouragement, support and cheers. I know this will be something the ambitious will have in their hanger... (mmm Submarines.)

-FoamyDM

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
Ahh man, the red green show. Wasn't expecting that reference. His oil change technique is flawless. Also, kudos to you for getting back on the horse FoamyDM. That's a really hard thing to do.:applause:

Last edited:

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
I'm sorry to hear about the setback. I can sympathize.

Last year doing the Caudron C.460 for the International Racer build I did a complete yard sale on two full size builds of my entry during testing (this was after my two half size prototypes were destroyed, but I didn't expect them to survive).

It took a while to get the juices flowing again, and it was really through a lot of the community support here - and other people starting to build my design - that got me back into finishing one up.

And I lawn darted it into the ground at FliteFest after the race event, but that's a different story. :black_eyed:

So anyway, don't feel bad about stepping back for a bit from this - and let the energy of others here help drive the project forward and get you swept back into the spirit!

As they say on the Red Green Show, "keep your stick on the ice, we're all pulling for you" :)

(and anyone on this forum who doesn't know the Red Green Show really needs to do a quick youtube search. I don't apologize one bit for the hours of what could have been productive time that will be spent laughing instead)

YES! RED GREEN SHOW!!!

FoamyDM

FTF-March Madness ENTRY 2

I will be rebuilding this plane this week for the FTFMM challenge. the V2 Version. some things are simpler. others are less so. The Goal is to get the darn thing to fly.

In the April showers theme, if this works, I will be waterproofing it for that Challenge.
In prep for that I will be taking the OLD model and drowning it in my tub to see what kind of weight I might need to get to even buoyancy and test my calculations.

Remember Fly hard, crash harder and try to remember it is only Foam board.

Last edited: