Getting re-started in the Hobby.

Rhys_GreyCat

New to flying quads, flew some glider and a .45 glow trainer 20+ years ago, before high school. Came across the Flite Test YouTube channel over the summer and have gone through the archives and now also follow RotorRiot and the individual pilots.

In seeing the advancements in the battery and radio tech since the last time my AMA membership was valid (1996, as I found out when I renewed it) made me want to start flying planes again. Didn't have the time or budget over the summer to dive in, but I kept watching. As the weather was getting colder here in Wisconsin I started thinking more about quads and being able to fly the smaller ones indoors.

Then there was the Black Friday sale, so I picked up an Alpha 110, a VersaCopter kit, and the Mz-12 and Gr-18 combo pack from the Flite Test store. Just doing line of sight for now, hoping to add FPV when the weather gets nicer again. Wishing I had jumped on it a little earlier to get the Dominator SE goggles.

Been flying the 110 around my workshop space and hovering the VersaCopter around. Having an issue with the 110 and the Mz-12, started a Thread on that

Looking forward to getting a few of the plane kits come Spring and visiting the 2 local flying groups that are 15 and 30 minutes from the house. Can't really fly outside at the house or the close parks as I live in town, and the Airport is pretty much across the street.

Hoping to convert my 20yr old planes to electric as well at some point. The .45 glow will need a beast of a motor and battery, but the Sophisticated Lady should be much easier. I used to have the 7.2V powerpod for it but it was so heavy and didn't have any power it never flew well, setting up a LiPo powerpod shouldn't be too bad.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The wife just bought me a new soldering station... so now I can hopefully work on the larger soldering projects I need in order to get my old glow conversions finished!