GR-18 + 6S

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
I bought the MZ-12/GR-18 combo from FT along with their Dragonfly kit with the Tough Tilt. It is a pretty cool setup & trained me up quick in tricopter design. I love the fact that the GR-18 is also a flight controller.

I now am moving the GR-18 over to a new tricopter monstrosity I birthed from my brain. It is not quite ready & the answer to this question can really come from my multimeter but I want to ask before I get to this point & find I need a new part.

I am using this ESC: http://www.emaxmodel.com/multicopte...opto-esc.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

I picked it because it was the lowest amperage I could find on an ESC rated for 6S from Emax. It says no BEC but I have a nice PDB from Emax with all that.

My question is: Can the "servo" wire from the ESC be plugged directly into the GR-18 with no danger of magic smoke?

megabotz

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Yes, there's no problem plugging it in, the only thing is being an OPTO it won't feed power to the FCB, but the circuit in general is designed for the voltages it uses.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I may be mistaken, if there's no BEC, then there will be no power being supplied to the receiver/fc board (the GR-18 is both)

I'm not sure how you'll power the receiver, without also adding in a separate BEC.

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
lol It looks like a pulled a derp & overlooked a detail when ordering parts.

I have no voltage registering on the + & - but I have 0.245V between the signal & -.

I have a BEC on my PDB supplying 5V & 12V close by I just gotta connect to the receiver.

Should the + & - terminals on any open channel do?

megabotz

Darkback2

I am a bit confused by the question, but I think you are asking if you can power the GR-18 using a 5 v BEC off of your power distribution board? I supply .5 volts through one of the open channels on both of my quads using the GR-18 with no problem.

Best of luck to you!

DB

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
Thanks. Yes, that was where I was going.

I also confirmed from the GR-18 manual that it is possible. They instruct to use the channel closest to the channels in use.

megabotz

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
LOL, I assumed that having an OPTO you had already gotten a BEC seperately

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
Thankfully, I did get a separate BEC at the same time. I wanted to have the option to get FPV, etc going later.

megaotz