HELPPPPP

paulstung

Hi there all, I'm a complete noob when it comes to anything rc, and am having a problem with my first mini quad build, everything is connected and set up as it should be, this has been checked and double checked, so that is at least one thing I'm sure of. The problem is every time I power it on, and throttle up, it tips to the right, almost as if the left motors are doing something completely different to the right motors, I have calibrated the ESC's through Cleanflight at least 3 times, thinking that was the problem but it still persists. I'm stumped, any ideas guys ?

Specs

Tarot 250 frame
Dys, black series, 1806 2300Kv motors
EMax simon series 12A ESC's
4 way ESC breakout cable
Naze 32 Funfly
5030 props
1500 Turnigy Nanotech battery
Flysky FS-i6 TX/RX

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Paul,

First off Welcome to the forum.

Second, It sounds like it's working on an "Insta-flip" and that always stinks.

Still there's a lot that could be going wrong here, and you've said you've checked the connections . . . a few pictures or a short video might be the next step in getting us the info we need to trouble shoot this.

brettp2004

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but it's most likely the one everyone is going to give first. Check your motor direction and prop orientation. That is the number one problem people have and most of the time they think it is right, when it really isn't. It might be helpful if you post a video.

paulstung

Cheers guys, I'll get a video up in the morning, when I have some light, and when my new props arrive, I've gone through 3 sets. :(

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The other biggie is swapping the ESC connections to the flight controller. If motor 1 ESC is connected to motor 2 on the FC and motor 2 ESC is connected to motor 1 on the FC you will insta-flip.

Photos and video will help if these posts don't.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Before you sacrifice another set of props to the instaflip, lets see if that's really the issue -- it probably is, but until it's fixed, it's a waste of props to put them back on.

with all your props off:

- put a piece of tape on each prop shaft to help us see what the motors are doing.
- arm and bump the throttle up until all four are started (happens at the same time, right? if not, bump up minthrottle on the configuration screen until they do)
- check the directions -- FL/RR = CW, FR/RL = CCW -- if any of these are wrong, you'll need to swap any two of the ESC leads to that motor.
- holding the quad level in your hand and in acro mode (angle or horizon are off), move the pitch stick left and right -- with the model pointed away from you, moving the stick left will make the right motors speed up and the left motors slow down. test all four directions this way. If this doesn't work, your ESC signals aren't going to the right plugs on the naze.
- still holding the quad with the motors spinning slowly, quickly lower a boom -- that motor should speed up in response, and the opposite may slow down (if it has room to slow down before stopping). Repeat on all four booms. If this isn't right (like it's twisted 90 or 180 degrees), check the orientation of your board -- the USB plug should be toward the rear. (if it's not it can be changed in the configuration screen)

Until all those check out, you'll just burn through props -- no point putting them back on. If all that's right, a few pics of the setup or video might show the detail we've still missed.

paulstung

Thanks for your input guys, I'll get back to it in the morning, well probably the afternoon, I'm starting a 12 shift run of night shifts ( OUCH ) I'll post back when I get up, with a vid, and my findings.:)

HarleyRev

This can happen if you are lifting off too gentle like. Atleast mine will do that. If i go easy up on the throttle the front of the quad lifts and almost tips over. First time it did this I figured I had some settings wrong so I checked them, everything seemed fine.

Then I remembered a similar issue on my dromida , it would do the same thing if I did not "pop" it up. So now I "pop" it up to hover at head high and it pops straight up every time no problem.

As long as your props are surely turning in the right direction.

paulstung

I thought that to begin with mate, I think they call it ( The ground effect ) so I took out a 2 foot high table, and gave it some juice, but it had the same effect.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Well, it's not ground effect anymore, but table effect. ;-).

Unless your table has a lot of holes, the problem is the turbulences that are created when the props push down the air and it can't flow freely because of the ground or some other obstacle. In that area, your copter will quite often behave badly.

But in this case it's probably more one of those instaflip cases. Wrong motor direction, wrong motor layout, wrong prop orientation and uncalibrated ESCs are the most common reasons.

jipp

i had this happen tonight. i wore out the props on my blade nano qx. so i put the new ones on.. i did not realize even they had to go on a special way.. i figure just green or yellow went up front, and black in the back.. this was wrong. anyhow i got the front flip.. which told me to switch the front props around and the next time she flew great.. now i need to order some more props for this nano. and print a few bodies.

chris.

paulstung

The table is more a stool to be honest it is narrower than the arm length so the turbulence, won't be the issue, it's really quiet in work I wish I'd brought it with me now.

So on the way home from work this morning, I ran into a petrol station and found the most random thing on their shelf, a Quanum Trifecta, including the tail servo, for £12.99 ( $20 ) so the Tarot is on hold, for now, but I'm sure I will need help again, I will keep in mind all your help and advise, and if the same problem persists I'll continue the thread, but if something new pops up ( I bloody well hope not ) I start a new thread. Cheers guys..

Last edited:

jipp

so a random stop at a gas station to get fuel..and they had rc parts on the shelf? that is pretty random.

chris.

paulstung

There wasn't even any parts, just the trifecta, all of 2, it is one of those petrol stations, that have empty shelves for the most part, and very rarely even fuel, but every now and then they have a little out of place gem. In the past they've, had, SSD's, lady toys ( wink wink ) TV's, all sorts. I only ever pop in for the out of place bargains.

jipp

There wasn't even any parts, just the trifecta, all of 2, it is one of those petrol stations, that have empty shelves for the most part, and very rarely even fuel, but every now and then they have a little out of place gem. In the past they've, had, SSD's, lady toys ( wink wink ) TV's, all sorts. I only ever pop in for the out of place bargains.

that is quite the strange store, now i see why you pop in from time to time.. you never know what they will have. i guess the owner likes to mess with peoples heads.
chrsi