How do I get started?

Bad Mechanic

I don't have a history of RC flying, or even RC at all. However, what has been on my mind for a long time is FPV flying with head tracking. To me the head tracking seems like an absolute must for immersion.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to put together a function setup with FPV head tracking. I don't even particularly care what the flying platform is.

I'd appreciate any nudges in the right direction(s).

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
are you looking at fixed wing or rotor?

you want to be able to fly LOS before going FPV.

Doing headtracking basicly requires a head mostion sensor on the googles connected to the TX and servos connnected to a pan(/tilt) controller connected to the camera.

Bad Mechanic

are you looking at fixed wing or rotor?

you want to be able to fly LOS before going FPV.

Doing headtracking basicly requires a head mostion sensor on the googles connected to the TX and servos connnected to a pan(/tilt) controller connected to the camera.

Honestly, fixed wing or rotor doesn't really matter to me.

JasonK

The goal is FPV flight with head tracking. Whatever gets me there quickest and easiest is the goal.

if DJI stuff did head tracking, I would point you to that. This is going to take getting your hands 'dirty', there isn't an off the shelf plug in and go like that that I am aware of.

What does your budget look like ($300-400 is about as cheap as you might be able to get all the parts if you do most of it yourself. if you want mid to high end equipment your looking at $600-1000+)? How willing are you to learn to build stuff yourself? Are you willing to do the work to get the needed radio license (in the US you need a HAM license to operate the VTX to run the video downlink from your plane/quad to your headset)

JasonK

quickest and easiest would probably be to commision someone to build it for you which would be pricy and that doesn't solve the learning or license issues.

JasonK

NOTE: I did not carefully check each item, this was me just quickly finding example components to give an example of what items you would be looking for to do this.. these are in the ballpark price ranges (googles are probably the low end for the need, however a separate head tracking module might allow a cheaper googles to be used) for what I would expect things to be.

As an example BOM to do this from scratch:

Item

Price

Flite Test Explorer Speed Build Electric Airplane Kit

$39.99

Flite Test Power Pack C "Radial Edition"

$79.99

TX of choice (and TX module)

$50-$300 (or way more for some name brands)

Serial RX matching TX

$20-50

Matek F405 Wing Flight Controller

$65.99

GPS unit

$14.99

Pan-Tilt

$23.98

Camera

$19.99

Battery

$19.99 (* number of batteries you want)

Battery Charger

$85.99

VTX

$20.99

FPV googles with headtracking

$279.00

Various crafting supplies and minor components that might be missing here

$50-100

Total

$726 to $1056

JasonK

there is PNF planes like the Bixler that could remove the building the airframe (this would replace the speed build kit and power pack and remove some of the miscellaneous costs)

The flight controller and GPS unit are optional, but I would consider highly recommended for someone just starting out as it gives you auto pilot stuff like return to home and 'save me' options if setup correctly. If you didn't do them, you would need a RX with 8 channels
output (4-5 for the plane + 2 for the head tracking servos)

FPVAirCombat

I don't have a history of RC flying, or even RC at all. However, what has been on my mind for a long time is FPV flying with head tracking. To me the head tracking seems like an absolute must for immersion.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to put together a function setup with FPV head tracking. I don't even particularly care what the flying platform is.

I'd appreciate any nudges in the right direction(s).

If you don’t have a history of RC flying and want head-tracking. The safest way is to fly a self stabilized photography drone from DJI. Get a used Mavic and Race Edition Goggles (used). It has head-tracking built-in and you can control the gimbal on Mavic. Turn key solution, just need to spend a little time to search and buy.

JasonK

If you don’t have a history of RC flying and want head-tracking. The safest way is to fly a self stabilized photography drone from DJI. Get a used Mavic and Race Edition Goggles (used). It has head-tracking built-in and you can control the gimbal on Mavic. Turn key solution, just need to spend a little time to search and buy.
ahh... DJI does have a solution for the request... I then second this... a turn key solution is the easiest way to do it.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
ahh... DJI does have a solution for the request... I then second this... a turn key solution is the easiest way to do it.

This will definitely work, but keep in mind that it will NOT be the "immersion" you're looking for. Head tracking will allow you to look in a specific direction while flying in another. Think of it like this - you're looking 90 degrees to your left, while your aircraft is flying forward - right into that tree that the camera doesn't see because it's out of your field of view. This is inherent with any head tracking system, not just the DJI; I have friends in my club that do this now with planes, and they've had midair collisions while looking out over the wingtip to see the runway on a turning approach or looking up above the plane to see something above them.

This same thing can happen if you're flying a multirotor - you could be looking straight down over the ground you're flying over, and completely miss the tree/power line/telephone pole/building/etc. that's in front of your multirotor.

I say this not to dissuade, but to make you aware that head tracking is not a true "full immersion" type of system, and it definitely requires more thought behind it and more planning than if you were flying FPV with a fixed camera or even via line of sight. And of course, regardless of what type of aircraft you're flying, you'll want a spotter to help keep an eye out for other aircraft around you, or even call out where you're at relative to the ground/trees/power lines/buildings/etc.

FPVAirCombat

Head-tracking does provide an immersive experience, but common sense still applies. I wouldn’t want to take my eyes of the road while traveling down the highway. I might look to the side for a split second or two tops. Same thing applies to flying a real plane or a model plane in FPV.

The advantages of head-tracking are apparent when I track an aerial target in formation or mock dog fight compared to fixed camera. I don’t need to change flight direction to keep the target in view. Also when I practice landing/approaches in the traffic pattern, I can always turn my head to check my relative position to the runway without turning my airplane to do so. See example below:

WillL84

Head-tracking does provide an immersive experience, but common sense still applies. I wouldn’t want to take my eyes of the road while traveling down the highway. I might look to the side for a split second or two tops. Same thing applies to flying a real plane or a model plane in FPV.

The advantages of head-tracking are apparent when I track an aerial target in formation or mock dog fight compared to fixed camera. I don’t need to change flight direction to keep the target in view. Also when I practice landing/approaches in the traffic pattern, I can always turn my head to check my relative position to the runway without turning my airplane to do so. See example below:

Dear lord the walkaround camera footage at the beginning gives me motion sickness

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
The advice above is sound, but without understanding what you are looking to get from it, the advice often feels like shooting at rainbows.

@Bad Mechanic... if you can answer some quick questions, they might help us here looking to get you hooked into this great hobby.
What is your purpose/mission?
Is there a budget number you are aiming for?
Also, What's your tech savvy level? how into-the-weeds are you comfortable with.

Do you have a video that you saw that you thought, "THAT'S IT! THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO DO!", if so, post it please.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob

BTW - I love this Video. The notes are great tips/advice on Landing aircraft!

FPVAirCombat

BTW - I love this Video. The notes are great tips/advice on Landing aircraft!
Thank you! I try to keep it as realistic to flying a real airplane as possible. Would be even more precise if I had altitude and airspeed.

But complexity isn't necessary to enjoy head-tracking FPV. I often fly with no FC nor gyros. Simply add pan & tilt and connect to corresponding channel on rx/tx setup for head-tracker and go! Here's a video practicing precision aerobatics using HT FPV in a nimble jet: