J&H Aerospace Spinster 1.5m DLG from foamboard

offaxis

Joshua, Do you have AUW specs that anyone building one of these should shoot for? How is your's holding up? How many launches is it good for?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
A ha! Got it!

Instead of 3D printing the entire sheath, just 3D print the nose cone (as per FAI-F1D's suggestion) and then replace the computer paper with an overhead transparency. The weight gain going from paper to plastic is negligible, and plastic will keep moisture out of your pod much better. You won't have to replace the sheath after a while like you would with paper, especially in Ohio. <read FF East morning dew>

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
A ha! Got it!

Instead of 3D printing the entire sheath, just 3D print the nose cone (as per FAI-F1D's suggestion) and then replace the computer paper with an overhead transparency. The weight gain going from paper to plastic is negligible, and plastic will keep moisture out of your pod much better. You won't have to replace the sheath after a while like you would with paper, especially in Ohio. <read FF East morning dew>

This is pure brilliance. I definitely have to fit mine with a sheath like that. Very, very cool.

Because I am utterly paranoid and because these things are not exactly short range airplanes, I recommend this at minimum:
https://www.banggood.com/REDCON-2_4...ge-Receiver-CM621-p-1007463.html?rmmds=search
Better to go with a Lemon DSMX unit if you have any radio interference (think WIFI) near your field. FrSky is pretty robust too:
https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-4CH-M...r-With-PWM-Output-p-1143300.html?rmmds=search

Joshua, Do you have AUW specs that anyone building one of these should shoot for? How is your's holding up? How many launches is it good for?
I need to get mine on a precise scale...I'd estimate under 250, but not certain.

Durability is surprisingly good, but I haven't crashed it and don't plan on starting to, and I've been careful to keep it out of humid weather and hot cars. Waterproof DTFB would simplify that somewhat, and you could use Gorilla glue for assembly to eliminate the heat sensitivity.

I've flown this model hard for most of its life and so far it's holding up fine. I've got at least 200 launches on it, possibly more. Only damage other than popping the stab off once on a crosswind landing and a nose sheath replacement is that the right wing has a couple stress wrinkles in the top surface. These emerged after about 10 launches and have not worsened or spread.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I haven't been able to fly mine for a while as I doubt it would have survived the trip to college, but I will be coming home in a few weeks to visit and might try bringing the spinster back with me. I will be doing more work with a new wing building process which will (hopefully) increase aerodynamic efficiency considerably. Expect updates more towards the holiday season once I'm home on break.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I will be doing more work with a new wing building process which will (hopefully) increase aerodynamic efficiency considerably. Expect updates more towards the holiday season once I'm home on break.

So secretive! C'mon man, clue us in! :p

flyboa

Elite member
Nice easy launches this evening.

I did maiden my new build today. Made from Ross foam board. A little heavier but flew fine. Only $.88 from Walmart.

Last edited: