Looking for a place to learn to fly

Cokomojo81

I am sure this is a loaded question but... Pros & Cons between the FrSky and RadioMaster? I would rather have something that I can use through a few models.

I was assuming that the Spektrums were the higher end units.

Also input on models for each.

dap35

Elite member
From a hw quality standpoint, I think both FRSky and RadioMaster have good transmitters. I have only held one of the RM TX16's and it felt very good. I don't know much about their receivers. I chose FrSky when I was looking to upgrade my transmitter. RadioMaster stayed with OpenTX or EdgeTX for their operating system on the TX, whereas FrSky decided to develop a new OS which is easier to learn than OpenTX. I will defer to someone who has more experience with RadioMaster for specifics on their offerings.
As far as FrSky, all of their current offerings support 24 channels most of them support both 2.4Ghz and 900Mhz receivers. I would look at the X18 series as the value point. You can use either their Archer or Tandem series of receivers. Archer is a 2.4Ghz only, whereas the Tandem RX's are dual band using both 2.4Ghz and 900Mhz at the same time. You can get stabilized receivers as well, these have SAFE like capabilities, ie when in self level mode, the plane will level itself if you release the sticks. I have also used the FT Aura 5 in several planes. It makes hand launching planes dirt easy.
I would recommend visiting the club and seeing what kind of gear people are flying. Spektrum is very popular because there are so many planes packaged with their RX's pre-installed. My only complaints are that they limit how many channels you can use on so many models and if you need more, you have to by a more expensive TX. Also, as I mentioned above, I haven't seen as robust a tx-rx protocol on their gear.

Tench745

Master member
I am sure this is a loaded question but... Pros & Cons between the FrSky and RadioMaster? I would rather have something that I can use through a few models.

I was assuming that the Spektrums were the higher end units.

Also input on models for each.
I have only ever owned Spektrum and FrSky and I bought those a number of years ago, so the information I have on others may not be entirely current.
The software used on RadioMaster, FrSky, and Jumper radios is open-source and designed to give the end user a lot of flexibility for what the radio can do. The downside of this is, you need to do some learning to figure out what the various settings do. I guess the newer radios are a little more intuitive than my old Tarani. Something like a Spektrum radio is designed to be a little more straightforward when it comes to programming, but that also means it limits what you can do somewhat.

If you want more than 6-8 channels, Spektrum radios get real pricey real fast. The Spektrum NX-10, 10-channel radio costs $550.
A Taranis QX7S can handle up to 32 channels and costs under $200 (it looks like these may be getting phased out for the newer Tandem radios)
A Radiomaster T16II radio is about $200 can handle up to 16 channels, and is available in a multi-protocol version.

A big selling point of RadioMaster (and I believer Jumper) transmitters is that they are available as multi-protocol radios.
That is to say, they can connect to almost any receiver, from Spektrum to FrSky, Graupner, to even cheap little no-name micro quads.
I was able to buy an external module for my FrSky Taranis which lets me do the multi-protocol stuff, but that's an added expense/complexity vs the RadioMasters that have it built in.

If I was just starting out and thought I would stick with the hobby and had the money to buy a radio that can grow with me, I'd look seriously at a RadioMaster.

dap35

Elite member
I have only ever owned Spektrum and FrSky and I bought those a number of years ago, so the information I have on others may not be entirely current.
The software used on RadioMaster, FrSky, and Jumper radios is open-source and designed to give the end user a lot of flexibility for what the radio can do. The downside of this is, you need to do some learning to figure out what the various settings do. I guess the newer radios are a little more intuitive than my old Tarani. Something like a Spektrum radio is designed to be a little more straightforward when it comes to programming, but that also means it limits what you can do somewhat.

If you want more than 6-8 channels, Spektrum radios get real pricey real fast. The Spektrum NX-10, 10-channel radio costs $550.
A Taranis QX7S can handle up to 32 channels and costs under $200 (it looks like these may be getting phased out for the newer Tandem radios)
A Radiomaster T16II radio is about $200 can handle up to 16 channels, and is available in a multi-protocol version.

A big selling point of RadioMaster (and I believer Jumper) transmitters is that they are available as multi-protocol radios.
That is to say, they can connect to almost any receiver, from Spektrum to FrSky, Graupner, to even cheap little no-name micro quads.
I was able to buy an external module for my FrSky Taranis which lets me do the multi-protocol stuff, but that's an added expense/complexity vs the RadioMasters that have it built in.

If I was just starting out and thought I would stick with the hobby and had the money to buy a radio that can grow with me, I'd look seriously at a RadioMaster.

I think some of the RadioMaster's come with ELRS and not the Multi-Protocol module. You just have to make sure you specify multi-protocol (aka 4 in 1). As @Tench745 says, there are multi protocol modules (MPM) available for the FrSky TX's (including the newer Tandem line). The (only) advantage would be if you want to use the rx that comes on a bind-and-fly (BNF) or have a big stock of other RX's. I would just replace the RX with an FrSky model if I can't get the plane as a "receiver ready" or PNP.

Cokomojo81

The person that I was emailing with from the club suggested an Apprentice STS for my trainer. Unfortunately it seems that it would make more sense to just get the RTF version of that for now and worry about upgrading for my next plane.

I guess that would give me some time to spend at the field and see what everyone else there is using. Can also spend some time looking into the suggestions and information from you guys.

Thank you for your help. Looking forward to the weather breaking and getting out flying.

dap35

Elite member
The person that I was emailing with from the club suggested an Apprentice STS for my trainer. Unfortunately it seems that it would make more sense to just get the RTF version of that for now and worry about upgrading for my next plane.

I guess that would give me some time to spend at the field and see what everyone else there is using. Can also spend some time looking into the suggestions and information from you guys.

Thank you for your help. Looking forward to the weather breaking and getting out flying.
The Apprentice is a good trainer. Good luck and have fun.