MinumOSD Micro

measlyChris

I have a quadcopter with a Naze32 in it, and I recently bought a MinumOSD Micro. I'm usually pretty good at looking things up to fudge my way through things, but this osd stuff is super confusing. I want the osd to display rssi, voltage, current, and mAh used. I have no idea what I need to do to achieve those things. I'm looking for someone to tell me exactly what I need to do in simpleton terms. Can someone help?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I'm afraid you need to provide more info. Specifically:

What rc receiver are you using?
What is your power setup and is there a current sensor anywhere in it?
Are you familiar with arduino and do you have one or an ftdi usb programmer/interface?

Unfortunately it just isn't easy and is probably the most complex fpv related setup in terms of hardware and software.

measlyChris

I'm afraid you need to provide more info. Specifically:

What rc receiver are you using?
What is your power setup and is there a current sensor anywhere in it?
Are you familiar with arduino and do you have one or an ftdi usb programmer/interface?

Unfortunately it just isn't easy and is probably the most complex fpv related setup in terms of hardware and software.

Thanks for helping me, here's what you asked for:
Lemon RX 6ch
4s
No current sensor
I do not know how to program Arduino
I have an ftdi thing that connects the osd to usb if that's what you're asking

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
This may take a while... that video from painless360 ElectriSean posted will probably help a lot. I haven't actually watched through it (because it would likely be a long watch) but let's see if we can rule out some things first:

RSSI - I don't think it'll be possible for you to display RSSI using the LemonRX 6ch RX. Based on the information here: http://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=72&product_id=122 I don't see any RSSI output pads. Generally speaking, you need RX / TX combinations that support telemetry for there to be RSSI output signals that you can feed into the OSD. I only see two lemonrx options that support this: http://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=telemetry

Onto the power display options: If you have VBAT on your naze32 controller connected to your PDB (or power harness) then you can feed Voltage to the OSD via the flight controller. You state you don't have a current sensor. This means the best you can do is to have the flight controller (naze32 + clean/base/beta-flight software) estimate the amperage use for you based on throttle stick position. It's not super accurate, but I guess it's better than nothing and I've set it up.

Soooo... given all this information, we can actually simplify your OSD connection to the Naze32. You really won't need to worry about connecting/soldering additional inputs to the OSD for RSSI, current, voltage, etc. You can just use one of the Naze32 serial ports to output all the information you need (voltage, current estimation, flight modes, etc).

I believe painless360 will cover that better than I can, but basically, most people connect the OSD to UART1. Unfortunately, that's also the USB port, so you'll have to disconnect your MinimOSD to use the USB port to configure/flash the naze32. There are more complicated options for setting up UART2 or softserial for your OSD use, but that does require more configuration for the naze32 with cleanflight. The wiring also will have to change accordingly.

Anyhow, this article seems to cover it all pretty well:
https://oscarliang.com/minimosd-micro-setup-naze32-pid-rssi/

The only caveat is the software they list / recommend is a bit old. I personally prefer and have used successfully this version of the mwosd software:

https://github.com/ShikOfTheRa/scarab-osd

Here comes the tricky part, if you're not familiar with Arduino.

First of all, you'll need to setup the following software on your computer (in addition to downloading and configuring the mwosd source code. We'll make a software engineer / computer scientist out of you!):

JavaSDK : http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
Arduino IDE/SDK : https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Once you've installed the JDK, and Arduino IDE, you'll need to unpack the mwosd software into a directory and edit the file:

https://github.com/ShikOfTheRa/scarab-osd/blob/master/MW_OSD/Config.h

To configure for your specific needs. This should mostly be just uncommenting and commenting out appropriate lines (using the "//" -- double slash prefix at the start of a line as a comment to make it a comment or removing it to make it active code.)

As I see it, you'll minimally need the following set:

#define MICROMINIMOSD
#define CLEANFLIGHT // I forgot to ask you what software you're using, but I'm going to assume cleanflight. Of course, select what is actually the software you are using.
#define FC_VOLTAGE_CONFIG // assuming you are using the VBAT on the naze32 flight controller as I mentioned above

I hope painless360's video shows how you compile and upload the firmware using a FTDI adapter to the minimOSD. Basically, depending on the version of the micro minimosd that you have, you may need to supply power to both the analog (video) and digital (serial input) side of the minimOSD. If you have a "teamKV" modified minimOSD, you only need to supply 5V to the digital side, and the analog side will be suitable powered by the same load. If you don't, you will need to supply 5V to the digital side, and between 5-12V to the analog side in order to flash or configure the minimOSD.

I would recommend the following steps to flash the minimOSD:

1) Power up the minimosd as appropriately based on the above info.
2) Load the Arduino example "EEPROM Erase" sketch. Compile, and upload. This will reset the minimOSD to erase all existing code and configuration so that you're starting from scratch.
3) Compile and upload your modified/configured mwosd software.
4) Run the MWOSD-GUI to connect to the minimosd to configure it.

Unfortunately, configuring the OSD is a whole other matter I can't easily cover in this post. I will try to get to it later tonight when I'm home and at my computer and hardware.

measlyChris

Thanks for your help, I want aware that you need a separate module for current sensing. Could point me where to buy one that's compatible with the setup?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I simply use a TBS PnP50 like Steele did. It is a power filter, has its own OSD for voltage current use (it has its own sensor) and total mah consumed. It even has a microphone if you find the need to hear what your motors are doing when the quad is further away from you. Its small and light and does the trick well. Most people I have heard are not worried over RSSI. usually they are the long range people and that's most times fixed wing craft. Any race pilots dropped the RSSI from the osd and either do not worry over it or they have a taranis which can be set up to keep you apprised of RSSI should you desire.

I tried using a minim osd but never got past all that FTDI stuff to set it up and make it work. The fact mine was stated to have a certain setup already loaded and did not need anything but to wire it up was crap as what it came flashed with was unviewable and HAD to be reflashed to something else.

grnd flyr

RROSD Pro V2 is the easier way @ $30!
http://www.redrotorrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=121

I've used the V1.x version several times, this new version looks way better with the location of those pads on the corners...

[FONT=&quot]FEATURES:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Dimension 36mmx36mm (30.5mmx30.5mm mounting holes)
Built-in power distribution and regulators to handle 2s-6s *note1
Noise free output without external capacitor *note2
​ • 10V and 5V output: can be used for VTX/FPV cam and accessories
NTSC and PAL can be easily selected using the onboard button
Plug and Play (PnP) OSD information: Flight pack voltage, current draw, total current consumption, RSSI, flight timer
Maximum motor current 150A total
Automatic flight timer shows actual flight time
Buzzer: after 5 minutes of inactivity, low rssi
Auto RSSI detection (FRsky and analog compatible), displays in percentage
Battery pack alarm feature blinks the battery voltage when pack voltage hits the set limit
Onscreen menu allows user to set rssi input, calibrate current sensor, set battery capacity alarm…etc....
[/FONT]