Monster sized Fock-Wulf FW-42

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Yes it sets me back a couple weeks at my current building pace, but it's going to be a much better wing join.

For anyone else considering a big foam build like this, just do the balsa pieces on the wing joints from the beginning. It would have been easier to do this a long time ago instead of having to retro-fit it.

Its a solid retro-fit though. Should hold up a lot better in the long run to hangar rash and repeated assembly/disassembly. Keep it up! She'll be ready when she's ready :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Its a solid retro-fit though. Should hold up a lot better in the long run to hangar rash and repeated assembly/disassembly. Keep it up! She'll be ready when she's ready :p

Thanks! I noticed that without the balsa edge, there was some sagging of the alignment pin into the foam that caused the trailing edge to sag down when sitting on the bench. Probably would have been fine in the air - but I'm taking this opportunity to add a second alignment pin near the trailing edge and have both pins kept securely in alignment with the balsa / fiberglass.

I hope to someday have a plane big enough I need bungee cords to hold it together! :LOL:

It's a whole lot of fun - but the scary part is it takes 5 bungee cords all hooked together to make it all the way around with only one wing panel in place. I'll need to buy more bungee if I want to do this with both wing panels on at the same time! :eek:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Spackle and sand... spackle and sand...
20181220_130417-1024x576.jpg

And now for a wing attachment setup. I drilled out a 5/8" dowel so that a smaller one would fit all the way through it.
20181220_103718-1024x576.jpg

Then with a couple steps I didn't photo, I ended up with the outer dowel cut in half and glued into each part of the wing. On a test fit everything still lines up well.
20181220_140007-1024x576.jpg

Once I get the fiberglass done, I'll glue the inner dowel into one side of the wing so it maintains perfect alignment and drill down through the wing and through the center of the dowels so that a thin pushrod wire pin will drop into place and hold everything together.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Last night I finally got the fiberglass on the wing ends
20181227_153355-1024x576.jpg
20181227_161202-1024x576.jpg

And after a little sanding and cleaning out the holes this afternoon it all goes together quite nicely.
20181228_145733-1024x576.jpg
20181228_145742-1024x576.jpg

Looks like a proper joint now. Time to drill the hole for the pin and fix the paint.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That little pushrod pin sticking up goes down through the outer and inner dowel (one glued into each wing panel) and out through the bottom of the wing just a tiny bit. It fits very snug in place, and the wing doesn't move when given a good tug - should hold up fine under any normal flight loads.

20181229_105759-1024x576.jpg

So, time for spackle and paint on this side, and starting the process over again on the other side of the plane. :D

wilmracer

Mentor
Look who made an appearance at our club meeting last night! She looks great in person. @rockyboy is doing a great job with the build and he had tons of questions from the peanut gallery (especially the old balsa guys :p)

Attachments

• 20190117_192000.jpg
    20190117_192000.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190117_192021.jpg
    20190117_192021.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That looks awesome all put together and painted! Looks smaller then I pictured in my head out in the open though.

Gonna be cool seeing that going down the runway and into the wild blue at FFO.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Look who made an appearance at our club meeting last night! She looks great in person. @rockyboy is doing a great job with the build and he had tons of questions from the peanut gallery (especially the old balsa guys :p)

Thanks for the pics and kind words! :D It was great to check in with the Sweat Pea in person. Her fuselage sure is a lot lighter than the FW's at that stage.

And it did take a little while to get Burnett to stop calling her ugly, but there was plenty of positive interest - especially from the other canard loving builders :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That looks awesome all put together and painted! Looks smaller then I pictured in my head out in the open though.

Gonna be cool seeing that going down the runway and into the wild blue at FFO.

It sure doesn't feel small when trying to pick it up :D

Do you happen to remember the brand on the shocks? I need to get some much heavier duty springs for them - once the wing panels went on, she bottomed out the shocks :eek:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

Do you happen to remember the brand on the shocks? I need to get some much heavier duty springs for them - once the wing panels went on, she bottomed out the shocks :eek:
How heavy is this bird right now?

wilmracer

Mentor
And it did take a little while to get Burnett to stop calling her ugly, but there was plenty of positive interest - especially from the other canard loving builders :D

Yeah... Bob is certainly a character. Not a fan of the foam, that's for sure. Don't let him bug you... he's been set in his ways since before we were born :p.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

I cant recall for sure if they were the original shocks or after markets I swapped out for thinner ones.

If you measure the diameter of the spring and or the oil resevoir you can go to Amain and match the sizes. They are standardized so no crazy variations. Stock 1/8th scale buggy shocks.

Spring tensions are color coded for stiffness. You can get single colors or pack with soft, med, hard. Also there are thicker oils to help with the compression once the springs can support the static weight. Again stock oils so pretty light.