Naze32 (Full) Control Issues (Help)

Tumbledown

Hi,
My name is Steve, and i have been flying multirotors since Christmas after a hubsan x4 present.
I have now built a 450 class around a Naze32 with the baro and compass.

I recently got grounded when one of my hobbyking motors decided to eat a bearing, grounding me for a month while i bought a replacement set.

On testing for the first time in horizon mode, I had some strange throttle control issues. I would gain altitude and throttle back to level off and the quad would continue to gain altitude for about 1-2 seconds (felt longer), before responding to the cut in throttle. Fearing i was going to get a fly away, i decided to bring the quad closer and test at low altitude (6/8 feet).

While doing figure 8 turns, the quad did not respond to me setting pitch to the mid point (level flight), and responded almost as if I was flying in rate mode. After 1-2 sec control was regained.

As I had just flashed the FC to Cleanflight 1.9 from 1.8, I downgraded the firmware to 1.8 to try and go back to original setup.

I range tested to 200m (647ft) with no issues and full control, Walked the course with quad in hand (props off), so i'm happy this is not a radio issue as the problems are occurring in less than 1/2 this distance.

I have Failsafe on the FC and turning off radio TX the quad shuts down almost instantly.
Unfortunately i have the turnigy 9x with stock rom and 8ch receiver, so no failsafe on the TX.

recently I flew 2 batteries (4000mah 20c) and got 15-20min flight times (battery monitored to 3.3 per cell).
all was good up until almost the end of my second battery.

I was doing figure 8 turns and i was coming out of a turn and tuning in the opposite direction.
Needless to say the quad didn't come out of the bank and then snapped to the opposite lock matching my stick input.

the action was almost like the quad was stuck to something and suddenly broke free.

I was getting a bit of confidence up until this point.

Can anyone suggest any bench test I can do to diagnose where this issue is coming from.
I'd really hate to have a flayaway with something that weighs a kilo landing on their head!

TIA
Steve

I'm pretty sure the issue is with the 9x(mine is also bone stock) as I've had the exact issue you describe when using mine on several different rigs (apm,kk2,and naze32). I've recently upgraded a few of them to FrSky and havent had any more issues.

I think the issue is that the Turnigy 9x handles failsafe very poorly and was one of the reason I upgraded to a taranis from it. It seems the 9x reciever when it gets week signal just keeps the last known values and doesnt zero out the channels like most recievers do when they lose connection.

I find I got the issues flying in noisy enviroments and the issues would always happen in the same spots and not very far away like your describing.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but hope it helps...

Tumbledown

Hi, thanks for the reply.

If this turns out to be the case it's not really bad news.
I want to upgrade to frsky to get cppm working and will allow for rssi when I get round to adding osd.

This is very interesting as I have had weird control issues at my home (hunting throttle and left yaw with no input).
This doesn't happen at the field I fly at, so I put it down to wifi in my area. But I would have thought the frequency hopping nature of the tx would have coped with this.

I will try a frsky tx module and reciver as soon as the budget will allow.

What is the perceived risk of a flyaway?
Is it a case of turning off the tx to force shutdown via fc failsafe, or is my main risk just crashing out due to a momentary loss of control?

Also does this affect all 9x tx units (flysky etc) as essentially the same unit rebadged

Its not really the 9x's fault as it actually does support failsafe the issue is that all the recievers available that will bind with turnigy/flysky protocol dont support it. So you can get failsafe with the 9x's just not with the stock TX modules. the turnigy 9x need a little moding to accept a new JR module in the back. I'm pretty sure the flysky 9x don't though and the modules are a direct swap.

All my lockups have only lasted a short time and they eventually glide out of the noise and Regain control but the potential for a flyaway is there.(allthough small) Although it may be a much bigger risk if you are flying near the limits of your range.

Tumbledown

The Plot thickens

Hi All,

i've been doing some testing on my radio with CF running on my laptop and i've noticed some strange things that cannot be helping my control issues.

I arm my quad via a toggle switch on AUX1 so there is no doubt when its armed.
looking at the receiver input all seems fine, however as soon as i arm, the cycle time goes through the roof and CF updates lag visibly on screen.

i though this could be my Chromebook struggling (never has before), but performance returned to normal after disarming.
so this lag issue only appears when armed.
Not sure if this is the root cause, but it can't be helping!

Why would this be happening, is there an issue with my FC?

Tumbledown

not sure if this is red herring now.
seems as though the FC only does this in failsafe.

I think i'll just upgrade the TX/RX and take one step at a time! :rolleyes: