Need help designing a plane to fly in the wind

I'm looking for design ratios for a plane specifically built to fly in 10-20 mph wind.

I've been scratch building planes for the last couple months. Mostly very conventional 3 channel high wing trainers with blue foam fuselages, Dollar Tree foam board wings and budget priced brushless motors. 30-48" wing spans.

I've gotten to where I can whip one out in a weekend and sometimes they even fly. Right now I'm converting an old swamp boat into an amphibious push prop biplane, has a great 1920's look but performance is uncertain.

And I finally noticed something: it's windy here ALL THE TIME. About 10 mph but it never stops and my big floaty trainers get pushed around pretty badly.

So I need a wind plane. Something in the 36" range and no bigger than 48. I can build basic airfoil wings and boxy blue foam fuselages, what I need are pointers on wing length to chord ratios, CG suggestions and all the other necessary ratios for a plane specifically for flying in wind by a reasonably competent 4 channel pilot.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Most low wing designs will do fine in the wind as long as you can put enough weight and power in it. High wing loading is the first secret to wind performance. Next I'd say is thrust (not necessarily speed, but speed is still important). Third is the plane design itself. High wings are not great in wind as they tend to parachute. The FT mustang and Spit do well at 800-1000g and around 500w of power. My nnChipmunk is a blast to fly in the wind as well, I like to ride the wind like surfing on waves :)

If you want to design a plane I would focus it around low wing, 40" span, 8-900g auw, 3s 10" prop, and 500w or so.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I would also add a flight controller. It can react faster than you.

As RAM said, something to stabilize the plane would help. I feel for you dude. Up here in Michigan, we have some decently crazy weather and the winters are eternal with a constant layer of wet snow.

...I would focus it around low wing, 40" span, 8-900g auw, 3s 10" prop, and 500w or so.

Perfect, thank you. Gives me an excuse to try my first low wing.

That blue foam board is really light, I built a 48" "Super Cub" that weighs 19.2 ounces ready to fly with a 1800 3S. .06 oz per square inch. With all that weight to add I can make a better battery box, landing gear and generally beef it up.

I would also add a flight controller. It can react faster than you.

Now I'll have to find out what that is.

saiga556

Full of...
I like having a rudder in high constant winds.

The more speed the better when flying upwind. Its fun to just be floating in mid air, punch it, and get some speed upwind. Also makes the downwind passes that much more fun.