New Build!! (f3 problems)

Speedeo

Parts arrived for my first 4s build (yay)

Unfortunately, I'm having problems with the f3 board I ordered. When I initially plugged it in, the blue and red lights were on as normal. I tried to connect to cleanflight, but it would not connect. I shorted the boot-loader pins to flash, but all I got was "no response from boot-loader, programming FAILED". Now whenever I plug it in, only the blue light is lit, but the boot pins are not shorted. It still won't flash or program, has this ever happened to anyone else??

Board: http://www.banggood.com/Upgrade-NAZ...e-10-DOF-for-Multirotor-Racing-p-1010232.html

Thanks!

(also, I might do a build log, as a new builder, I'm not sure yet)

Speedeo

I should have done some research and purchased a different board, but it's too late now and I'd like to try and salvage this.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
What computer are you running the configurator on?

That looks to me like a SPF3 clone, so do you have all the drivers installed, especially if you are on Windows? I've run it on both MacOS and Windows. If I recall, I had to install the zadig drivers on Windows and didn't have to install anything on OSX, but I honestly can't recall the details.

This guide might help, which I found via a google search, but I can't address the accuracy of it since I since it's been a while:

http://www.dronetrest.com/t/zadig-d...flight-stm32-flight-controllers-dfu-mode/2719

I do know that on either platform, as soon as you start the flash or plug it in with the bootloader pins/button connected, clean/beta-flight should show "DFU" on the connection interface pulldown.

Speedeo

Thank you for the quick reply :)

I will try this on a different computer (I've tried a chromebook and a windows computer) and install all drivers. I tried to install the drivers on the windows computer, but I probably did it wrong so a fresh computer may help me. Thank you, I'll let you know if it works!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Hello Speedeo, have you ever connected a flight controller to this PC using this USB cable before?

I ask because if it's not the driver, the cable is the number 2 suspect unless you already know it works. :)

Speedeo

Yes actually, the f1 boards I have used before have used the other kind.

I tried a couple of cables, but for all I know they could all be wrong:p

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Connection issues between PCs and the USBs on these boards are really common. The key with Windows is to restart the PC after you install the driver and before you connect a cable.

Most often after that it's the cable itself.

Interesting board there. All my Nazes are rev 5 from 2014-2015. I'm interested in how this works out.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yeah, that banggood link had me confused, but I think they just described the product incorrectly. It's a SPF3 clone, not a Naze32. They even have a link to SPF3 documentation. The board layout is pretty much a SPF3 layout as well, with the same pico connectors. I wonder how many people bought it thinking it was a naze32 vs a SPF3 (which is a bit of a difficult board to flash due to the DFU/VCP setup.)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I ended up getting a clone spf3 board thinking I got a real one even from a reputable dealer when I replaced my skyline32. The Zadig drivers won't work on it. I couldn't talk to mine even after loading Dfuse. Defuse would allow it to boot and cleanflight to see the FC but when I tried to flash with the bootlaoder it would just sit and stare. No Bonk noise when windows connected like without the boot loader. It was the VCP driver that woke it up and allowed me to talk thru Defuse to flash the board once I learned about the driver issue.

Speedeo

Okay update time

I soldered the boot pins together, and installed some drivers and tried a bunch of stuff, and successfully flashed the board!!! I clicked connect, and all was well. I then installed it to my copter, soldered on all signal wires and such, and left for a day. When I came back, I tried to connect to betaflight, and it just said "port successfully opened". I reflashed, and that worked, but it still wouldn't connect. Now it's having the same problem as before, "failed to contact bootloader". Argh. I guess I'll have to keep playing around with it. I unsoldered all of my signal wires.

Speedeo

A lot of things show the stm32 chip showing up, to replace drivers and stuff (like zadig). I however do not see an option for stm32.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
DeFuse is what talks to the stm32 processor. VCP 1.4.0.0 is what drives the com to talk to the FC thru Defuse. When you successfully flashed the FC did you unsolder the bootloader pins you shorted?

To flash the boolt loader pins have to be shorted. once that is done they never have to be used unless you want to reflash to newer firmware. They are not shorted for normal operation and or pid tuning in the gui.