Newbie With Questions

DIYlife

Hi! New to this forum and fairly new to the plane section of RC. I come from quads and racing drones, so I'm not very familiar with planes. I have a few questions relating to planes. It will be appreciated if you can answer them :D

1. Is the FS-T6 a decent starter transmitter? I am pretty limited in terms of budget (because my parent's are not supportive) so I bought it and it seems ok except that it feels cheap and the gimbals aren't the best.

2. Why are some transmitters only able to control certain types of RC stuff? I first wanted to use the FS-i6 for planes but apparently, the FS-i6 only supports gliders and drones (maybe heli too. I can't remember), and the FS-T6 supports planes and helis but not drones. Why is that?

3. Later on, when I get enough I'm planning to get a much better transmitter. Any suggestions? (It'll be nice if it's under 300$. Maybe like the Turnigy 9x, the Taranis x9d, etc.) I would like a smoother gimbal. I don't mind too much about the other functions but at least 6~7 channels.

4. The Turnigy 9x has these modules. What are they for? What do they do? Is there any benefits to it?

5. Where can I get tools and parts reliably? I live in Indonesia which is pretty limited in terms of the RC hobby. (I couldn't even find a damn RC switch nor Futuba / Spektrum transmitters!). I can only buy from 'local' internet shops such as Tokopedia or Lazada, which are generally expensive and limited. Where can I get parts and supplies reliably and fast? I don't think places like Banggood are the best because their customer service is absolutely terrible. I also visit Korea once in a while, so maybe if it can't get shipped to Indonesia, Korea might do.

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Welcome to FliteTest!

The FlySky trnsmitters are decent for their price, especially if you already bought it. The FrSky QX7 is a great value at $110 if you're looking for an upgrade down the road. If you have extra $$$ the hall sensor gimbals make any FrSky radio even better.

The transmitter (radio) will work with any type of vehicle. The item that changes is usually the receiver. First, receivers must have the same protocol (language) as your transmitter. Second, some transmitters only output digital/serial outputs. For a plane with traditional servos and no flight controller, you generally need a receiver that outputs the number of channels you'll be using. For example, if you have a plane with a motor, elevator, and rudder, you'll need at lease a 3 channel PWM receiver. You could use a FS-iA6B receiver that outputs 6 channels.

The modules on the 9x allow it to run different protocols (languages) so you can use different receivers. In my opinion, the Turnigy has become somewhat obsolete now that the FrSky QX7 is available.

The FT Arrow is a great design.

DIYlife

Welcome to FliteTest!

The FlySky trnsmitters are decent for their price, especially if you already bought it. The FrSky QX7 is a great value at $110 if you're looking for an upgrade down the road. If you have extra $$$ the hall sensor gimbals make any FrSky radio even better.

Thank you for replying! I saw on some random website that the QX7 only works with Drones, and it has centered throttle. By reading your reply, it seems like if I get the correct reciever I can fly this with planes too right? Also, is there any way I can remove the centered throttle? I have tried those cheap 50$ drones before with centered throttle and I didn't really enjoy the contol feel too much.

I would definately prefer the QX7 over the X9d because the QX7 is much more cheaper and comfortable to hold than a X9d.

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
The QX7 absolutely works with planes. It comes with both sticks centered so that the owner can choose which mode they would prefer to fly in. Mode 2, where the left stick is throttle, is what most of the US flies. Mode 1 is where the right stick is throttle. The QX7 is super easy to setup the mode, you just remove the rear screws and screw down one of two screws on the inside of the transmitter.