"P-17" Bottle Plane concept - maiden flight (...a gentle giant!)

Glad I got the first commit on this, I must say this is the epitome of making out of common things. Beautiful Job !
Thank you sir! So much potential, having fathomed a strong, rigid, lightweight manner of connecting the wing to a round bottle. I have a few more tweaks and things to try.
You might not yet have seen this one I just posted up (I think!) ...(27) P-17 Bottle Plane - big and easy slow flyer chills out over the Isle of Wight - YouTube Regards, Paul

when is the build video coming out. love the idea!

Soon!

I have filmed and edited 70% of the build video and will aim to finish this weekend, mainly focusing on the wing support section since this is where I found nothing like it out there on the internet but it's really quite basic... yet strong, secure and lightweight. Surprisingly rigid / minimal flex along the entire length and with a good platform on which to try different wings if you wish.

I have a number of ideas I want to try out in different aspects of the design and build utilising plastic bottles as the fuselage. All good fun, and nice to share.

tomlogan1

Elite member
That is my next build. What a fabulous means to "recycle" and have fun at the same time. Hopefully you can provide a few hints such as motor KV prop size etc. for those who want to get ahead on the project. Congratulations a simply brillant engineering feat and I would presume a very sturdy craft. Bravo!

Thank you very much for saying so. I am right now (11.45pm UK time) working further on editing the build video but have to stop now - too tired. I hope to finish it and have it up by the end of the weekend.

Yes, I was actually quite surprised on all my internet searches that there didn't seem to be much done in this manner with your 'everyday common or garden plastic bottles!'..... the wing support mount works really well and feels very strong, yet lightweight and secure. And the bottles, once glued and taped provide a very rigid lightweight fuselage (in my humble opinion) with minimal flex.

Like the versatility of foamboard for building model airframes fast and cheap, I feel the plastic bottle concept for the fuselage should be a good compliment. I only want to share what I have learned myself because I have learned from others who freely shared their knowledge and ideas with the RC flight community - Flite Test, Experimental Airlines and Mikeys RC etc.,

Ha im from there. Lovely place it is.
'Looking for someone else here on the Isle of Wight here to fly the second (identical) model so I can get some shots of the two flying together in close proximity. Please let me know if you're up for it....? Cheers, Paul

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
'Looking for someone else here on the Isle of Wight here to fly the second (identical) model so I can get some shots of the two flying together in close proximity. Please let me know if you're up for it....? Cheers, Paul
I wish I could. I am all the way in the usa though

Phin G

Elite member
Love to however we moved to Plymouth when i was 4, the next time we visit ill drop you a line.