push pull cable ?

sundown57

Legendary member
A while back I bought a styrofoam plane and it had 2 actual cables in it about 2 feet long. Real push-pull type. anyone know where I can buy them or are they plane-specific? Can't seem to find anything like it on eBay or Amazon. it would be nice if we could buy like a roll of it then cut to length and bend the ends.

Attachments

• IMG_5584.JPG
    IMG_5584.JPG
    992.6 KB · Views: 0

sundown57

Legendary member
no, I have push rod stuff. I use .030 tig wire. it comes in 3-foot lengths and only like 5 bucks a pound. buy once you get over about a foot long it needs supports. I'm looking for the sheath that goes over the pushrod like in the picture.

sundown57

Legendary member
Do a little search, you'll find good quality sleeved cables, they've been around at least since the late '70s.
I figured that too. but can't seem to find anything small like that. maybe I'm just not using the right words

I figured that too. but can't seem to find anything small like that. maybe I'm just not using the right words
Take a look at this. They're plastic inside of plastic (Nylon, Dacron, heck I don't know) but they're as small as we'll find. If your plane is small enough maybe this is just right.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/soft-push-rod-snakes-d3-x-1000mm-4pcs-bag.html
I got a pack of these but haven't used them. (You made me get up and go find them. Grrr.) They're quite flexible but with the proper support, gluing the sleeves in at points, particularly at the ends, I'm sure they're strong enough to push a lot of force.

I don't know the best way to secure these to pushrod ends. And I don't know where to get "mini" sleeved metal cables, but if they exist I'm sure you'll get an answer here. :)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have used something similar in the past, in fact I have used all sorts of methods. Think they are refered to as push rod snakes, usually used for going around akward shapes.
1612061475019.png

Flexible/Semi-Flexible Snake Control Rod Set & Accessories for RC Model Aircraft
Try ebay.

Right-click on the image, "Search Google for image".
I see them on Ebay.UK
I'm not looking any further. Because I don't feel like it. ;)

Headbang

Master member
I have used something similar in the past, in fact I have used all sorts of methods. Think they are refered to as push rod snakes, usually used for going around akward shapes.
View attachment 190796
Flexible/Semi-Flexible Snake Control Rod Set & Accessories for RC Model Aircraft
Try ebay.
For ft planes use coffee stir sticks at points along the way, way cheaper then ez push rods. Great planes and I think dubro make the ones you can buy, but they are heavier then thin piano wire and stir sticks.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I bought a bag of sipping straws, which are used by posh gits who drink there shorts through straws, because they are too snobby to put there lips to a glass and drink like normal people.
Sorry I got distracted, sip straws I got a 1000 of these in a bag from Ebay for next to nothing, perfect for making pushrod guides .
1612062388887.png

sundown57

Legendary member
the coffee stirrers are what I usually use. but this plane has given me trouble in the past for being tail heavy so I wanted to move the servos up to under the wing but that's 34 inches. that's a lot of straws and a lot of glue to hold them all in place. the cable I have works perfect but only 24 inches long.

sundown57

Legendary member
Take a look at this. They're plastic inside of plastic (Nylon, Dacron, heck I don't know) but they're as small as we'll find. If your plane is small enough maybe this is just right.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/soft-push-rod-snakes-d3-x-1000mm-4pcs-bag.html
I got a pack of these but haven't used them. (You made me get up and go find them. Grrr.) They're quite flexible but with the proper support, gluing the sleeves in at points, particularly at the ends, I'm sure they're strong enough to push a lot of force.
those are just like the ones I have. too bad they are out of stock. at least I know now what to look for. thanks.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
You can buy a snake with a hollow core, you can cut it to length then use the screw in clevis connectors to connect to the snake. The snake itself resides inside a outer tube cut shorter than the snake. The outer tube is secured inside your model so that the snake can slide back and forth. Obviously you dont connect the second clevis until you have fed the snake through the sleeve. The Clevices then clip onto the servo arm at one end and control horn at the other. As they are threaded you can fine adjust (screw in or out )to get your control surface straight.
1612063912514.png

1612063947917.png

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
This system is great when you have obsticles in the way between the servo and the control surface. The movement doesn't get restricted like a ridged push rod system with bends in it.
The pull pull systems are more efficient, but there is a lot more tension on the servo to keep the two lines taught. If your using cheap servos they might not last as long, plus if your using anything less than metal cable it can snap or get cut.
I have seen pull pull systems with fishing line, reasonably light and works okay. You use heat shrink to connect the fishing line to a clevis connector.

Plastic balloon sticks. You can buy a little Valentine balloon at Walmart for a buck-fifty. It comes with a hollow plastic stick about 18" long. Negligible weight, and the interior dimension might be pretty close to perfect for you. You can actually order them in bulk from Walmart.com.
Wow. (y)