Quadcopter Simulator (In Development)

Burly

Hi Blueteak,

I was just wondering if you are using specific tools to do this programming...
Game Engines...3-D Modeling Software...things like that.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I was a little confused with the input setup. I got a small popup window on start where I could configure input, but that didn't seem to work. Then I found input configuration in the simulator.

I am using a Taranis which simulates a USB Joystick directly, but I wasn't able to configure it for now.

Will have to look deeper into it.

Blueteak

@Balu
Oh, ya, the popup that shows up when you start the simulator is useless for the joystick, but I need to keep it there until I can let you set resolution in-game. Eventually it will be removed as it doesn't affect input and I can't modify what it shows.
I just got a FlySky 6ch transmitter that works flawlessly with the simulator, but I know exactly how to set it up, so I think there might be a step or two in the setup that is counter intuitive.

@Burly
I am using Unity3D to do the programming, and Cinema4D to do the 3D modeling (Although the current quad is from thingiverse.com as a 3D printable model that I was able to download)

Burly

Thanks Blueteak.

I was pretty sure you weren't doing this from scratch.
I've looked at Unity as well as the Unreal game engines.
A few years ago I got a license to LightWave.

Thank goodness the game engines are free...because the modeling software is expensive(3D Max, Cinema 4, LightWave....etc.)
There's really not a free 3-D modeling package that compares with the quality of the free game engines.
Blender is the only full blown package that comes to mind...and it sucks.

But the problem with any 3-D package, or game engine package for that matter...is the learning curve.
3D Modeling/Rendering/and Animation is 10 times more involved than learning a 2-D drawing package.

I'll be following your progress...

Blueteak

Here's a video showing how to use a transmitter with the simulator.
Sorry for the quality, I don't do tutorials often.

Spastickitten

Ok I think I might need to grab that dongle then... I get the same problems as others with the bindings sometimes only will be nagative(Ex. throttle at middle, push up, joy axis 1-, move to downward keybinding, push down, joy axis 1-) hope I helped, if you need video, I might just deliver! ^w^

daxian

Elite member
....well..... problem somewhere ...followed to the letter !!!!
still there is a problem ....with all sticks @neutral goto keybinding press to bind up... goes immeadiatly to joy 2+ !!!! without stick input !!!!
must be a problem with the download, as i have used picasim and deskpilot without problem on this hardware !!!!
will try a fresh download ...see if that solves !

edit: fresh download, still same problem ???????
are there any logs that could help debug ???

Last edited:

Blueteak

@daxian
Can you try calibrating the joystick before you bind the keys? I have had the issue before when the throttle or a switch is off the neutral position, so maybe your transmitter's neutral throttle position is down or something like that, and as soon as you try to bind a key, the transmitter sends information about the throttle or stick that is out of position.

daxian

Elite member
@blueteak....
tried all ways ...calibrate before and after ,start before the sim, start after sim ...all ends the same ...no joy !!!
set neutral in the tx before starting the sim ...so its not that !!!
maybe it is something with win 7 ? no ....tried on laptop with win 8.1 same.... tried win 10 same ..both of these are test pc's with just the operating system ,so not a conflict with other software....lost now for answers !!!!

Last edited:

Blueteak

That's very strange. The symptom (pressing the button to bind the key and it automatically being bound) is definitely indicating that the computer is getting a signal from your device.
Maybe it's a fairly weak signal. Can you try to bind a key in the following way:

1) On your transmitter, move the gimbal you want to bind to it's maximum position in the direction you want to bind
2) Click on the button for the axis you want bound

Hopefully the maxed out gimbal should override the signal the computer is getting from the transmitter in the neutral state.

daxian

Elite member
@blueteak ...
already tried ,tried all combinations ,i will just have to accept that this tx will not work with your sim ,there is always the xbox controller !!
edit : just noticed that channels 5&6 are on variable knobs and full signal ,how could i not see that !!!!!
set to neutral ....tested again to bind ,NOOOOOOOOOOO ..still will not accept the stick movement...get negative numbers but no positives............bahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!

Last edited:

Blueteak

Thats very strange, especially since you are using the Turnigy 6ch (I did the tutorial with the Fly Sky FS-T6). I have never seen the negative issue, but I will keep testing and seeing if I can find solutions. Obviously I would like every transmitter to work, but I don't have the resources that a commercial RC flight sim developer has... Maybe in the future!

For now I will keep my eye out for potential fixes or a better input system if someone else develops one. I'll start working on some of the other features like multiple quad types and objectives to help new flyers learn how to control a quad. As you said, the Xbox controller always works, and will likely be the go to option for completely new flyers (since they probably wont have a nice transmitter and sim cable).

mad_milchmann

whow, how coul I have missed this thread for so long?
I tip my head to you, Sir, for your amazing work!

I'm itching to try the beta but I'm still at work right now and it's my GFs Birthday, so I fear I'll have to wait for the weekend. But I'm already excited.

Spastickitten

Can't wait for the fix! I know I have mentioned I use smartproproplus, so maybe you can get our result with it, but it is for jr ports.

mad_milchmann

Just downloaded and tried it.
already looks very promising.

installation and calibration worked really flawless for me.
I'm using a turnigy 9xr with a cheap 9-in-one china dongle ( I think HK sells the same, but it got it from e-bay).
PC-wise I have an i3-3220, 4GB Ram, win 8.1 with a radeon 7770.

here are a few things I came acros, which I think I should mention, since I guess you're interested in feedback. I don't know if there's something new to you or if you know all these issues already:

in the "key bindings" menu:
  • the mneu starts somewhere in the middle and scrolling using the scrollwheel of my mouse is reeeealy slow.
  • binding works very well. calibration seemed to work, too.
quadcopter settings
  • change of the PID settings seemed to work as intended.
  • when i increase the motor power the quad starts to wobble like crazy before i can even lift off and i loose a prop after a few seconds.
In Game
  • no lag, graphic errors, enough FPS to be fluent
  • when I crash, after hitting the ground, the quad doesn't come to rest and keeps on dancing across the ground
  • YAW during forward flight feels wrong somehow, but i can't really tell why... i guess it should affect the sidewards movement less, but not sure really.

hope this is of some help. really looking forward to futre versions.
I'll try it out somem ore these days and report back if i find something else

Blueteak

Thanks for the feedback!

I am aware of the issue in the keybindings menu with scrolling and it's position, I will work on a fix, though not at the top of my list.

The motor power isn't really supposed to be modified, it's more of a debug option that I use when I scale the quads up and down, but if you increase it without increasing the size of the propeller to counteract the extra torque with inertia, then it goes a bit crazy.

I'd love to understand a bit more of the issue with the Yaw, as I didn't really understand what you felt was off about it (other than something was), and if anyone else has feedback about that as well, the more info the better!

RichB

Long-time linux user checking in. This is making me pretty excited. Do you have a linux build yet?