RCExplorer.se Baby Tricopter Kit Build Log

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I looked closer at that log with the video of the tail rotor. Does it always tune out at that angle to compensate for torque? I noticed it was constantly fighting to center tilting a little right even in straight forward flight. I know single rotor helis need to have side force to counter torque of the motors but the whole thing about a Tri is supposed to not need that with the counter rotating front motors.

If this constantly tunes out need that slight angle I would contemplate making an angled mount closer to that angle at neutral. At the very least it will make it a whole lot less wear and tear on the tilt servo under load forever hunting and fighting to keep a neutral state in forward flight. It will also get you slightly better flight times and less current draw on average.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
One of the things I want to do is decase a Runcam HD V1. Should be able to get a better view of the tail without having to look through/around the FPV antenna. ;)

The front motors are counter-rotating and the torque from both cancel each other out unless they are running at different speeds. The tail motor always sits at an angle to compensate for it's torque. There has to be some funny math to get the tail torque angle/speed correct. Any change in rear motor torque/thrust angle without any other motor changes will change roll/pitch/yaw. Changes in tail motor speed/torque without changing any other motors or tail thrust angle will also impact roll/pitch/yaw.

Really looking forward to playing with it at FFE. Hope that you will be able to spend some time with it too! Really want your input on tuning it in person. Tricopters really are a different beast and we are all madmen for falling under their spell!

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I will be glad to hang out with you among the bajillion other things that will be going on hehe. Just don't be doin non of that tricopter witch doctor foo on me trying to get me to test my sanity by building one hehe.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Just don't be doin non of that tricopter witch doctor foo on me trying to get me to test my sanity by building one hehe.

I'm digging out the TryFecta made from DB's junk and adding it to my Pre-FFE todo list. Update it with LB's junk motors/ESCs that came off Baby Tri#1 and set it up for LOS with a DTFc FC. It may accidentally find it's way home with you.... Going to keep Baby Tri #1 Stock with RCExplorer PDB/FC and do the alternate FC testing on the Try Fecta.... (it is a very Trying frame....)
Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I see. So Yoda dismisses my TryCopers and challenges me to build some DUocopters..... Hmmmm. Have to cobble one together at FFE!

LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Made serious progress on getting Baby #1 back in the air. The alternate bluebird servo I wanted to use was defecto out of the box. :( Ended up using a Turnigy that looks identical to the RCExplorer BlueBird and adding the feedback myself. Should be able to do LOS testing tomorrow.
BabyTri1AlmostRebuilt.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Testing with latest dRonin based TriFlight and NeoTune. Moving in the right direction!

Autotune results for yaw not optimal for Tricopters.... This was with yaw defaults. Still pretty darn smooth for a Tri for how hard I was tossing it around. Propwash in places I'd expect it even from a quad, but none of the low speed oscil.ating waggles.... ME HAPPY!

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Have to start training yourself how to exit flips and rolls so you don't encounter the residual prop wash. Took me a while to understand I was causing my wobbles not the tune. Stingerswarms tutorial on power loops for Rotor Riot is a good way to understand and learn what is happening when and how to transition without hitting it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I was intentionally inducing a good deal of that to see how it would react under extremes. First time flying Beta firmware it's good to hunt out where the limits are and look for bugs. The big take away is no yaw waggles in Forward Flight. Feels more like a quad and less like a Tri.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hehe was having a teaching moment for others.. Work with me here :p I know you are smarter then the things you are working with.

Glad you are getting where you want to be.. now.. just don't wreck it like I did my Alien before FFE. :black_eyed:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
hehe was having a teaching moment for others.. Work with me here :p I know you are smarter then the things you are working with.

Glad you are getting where you want to be.. now.. just don't wreck it like I did my Alien before FFE. :black_eyed:

I already crashed #1 after it flew away a week n a half ago. Rebuilt Baby #1 from scratch just last week. Have been "extra careful" in my testing since then.... ;) Have not fixed up the Krieger 225 yet. Cuz every time I fly him, sumtin baaaaaahd happinz. Figure I will rework him tonight at camp. That way it's sure to make it. :)

See You REAL soon! (dag nab it, gotta work first.)

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
We shall be on the road in about an hour. Jim just called he is on the main road to my place so about 20 or so minutes till we meet face to face.
Roughly five hours from here so if we leave by 10:30 ish that puts us at FF around 3:00 - 3:30

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Managed to get a small amount of LOS flying of the Baby Tris at FFE. Did not want to risk the Babies by flying FPV with all the channel stomping that was going on.
20170714_113334_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
No, that picture was probably taken during a combat session. That clears the build tents out faster than anything else! After Thursday morning, the weather cooperated very nicely and everything dried out. There are a few pics here.

Cheers!
LitterBug

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Thanks, LB. Glad to hear the rain let up.

It's hard to tell from here how it went. Hoping for more photos and video of the event. :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So it's that time of year again, getting out to the field, even under less than ideal conditions. Was very windy and gusty over the weekend and I've been playing with a new tail tilt on the Baby Tri and the mini tri. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2869393 This design raises the pivot point from below the motor to the middle/top of the motor which in theory is a MUCH improved geometry.
ImpossibleBabyTilt.png

I've updated both of my Baby Tris and have a handfull of LOS flights in the back yard as well as one FPV flight on Baby Tri #1out at the big field

Baby Tri #1
BT1NewTail.jpg

Baby Tri #2
BT2ImposiTail.jpg

Baby Tri #1 with the edge racing 2205 2480kv motors is a bit of a beast build. It oscillates like @)#($)( on every axis and needs to be detuned! =-O

And yes, I'm running dRonin on em all! :)

More to come soon......

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Had some firmware issues with the F3FC racing FC on the baby tris that had to be worked out with Dev help. Back on track testing the baby tris tonight. Managed to get LOS testing, autotune, ground tailtune, and in-flight tailtune done on baby 2 tonight. We are getting close to the limits of what can be done with F3 based FCs. Running low on memory and close to max CPU.

LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got the Baby Tris out to the field tonight for some FPV with the latest dRonin/Triflight mashup firmware. Baby Tri #1 is still the oscillating mess it has been since I rebuilt it. <sigh> So on to Baby #2. Need to tweek high throttle gains. Get some serious oscillations at high throttle. Also a bit baffled why I get oscillations on Right turns vs. left turns. Ah well. We'll figure it out eventually.

RAW FPV video from Baby#2

Cheers!
LitterBug