Recommended Beginner Plane With my Electronics?

Donsity

Hi. I built the FT Flyer before but I want to build something else now. I'm very new to building, only flew rc about 6 or 7 times. I was wondering what I should build that's easy given this list of electronics:

A2212 1400KV 10T brushless outrunner motor

KV: 1400 10T
Max. efficiency: 80%
Max. efficiency current: 4-10A (>75%)
Current capacity: 12A/60s
No Load current @ 10V: 0.5A
No. of cells: 2-3 Li-Poly
Motor size: 27.5 * 27mm / 1.1 * 1.1in
Shaft diameter: 3.17mm / 0.1in
Weight: 48g / 1.7oz

30 AMP ESC
and a 3s 1000mah battery

Donsity

luvmy40

Elite member
I'm running the FT Radial 2206 2500kv with a 25 amp ESC and a 5x4.6x3 prop on a 4S 650mah LiPo. It certainly does not need the 4S, I've never gotten it above 1/2 throttle, and don't need to. I'm going to try it with a 2S 650mah I have tomorrow.

Donsity

I'm running the FT Radial 2206 2500kv with a 25 amp ESC and a 5x4.6x3 prop on a 4S 650mah LiPo. It certainly does not need the 4S, I've never gotten it above 1/2 throttle, and don't need to. I'm going to try it with a 2S 650mah I have tomorrow.

Alright. I wish there was a build guide because I've only done something like this once before

luvmy40

Elite member
Where are you located?

This really is an easy build. I'd be happy to walk you through it via skype or whatever.

Donsity

Where are you located?

This really is an easy build. I'd be happy to walk you through it via skype or whatever.
I don't have access to a video camera but I'll ask some questions here and as I build:

1) where would the servos go?

2) what are power pod doublers?

3) The wings look really easy, and I'm guessing they don't need curves, but should I put a joint in the middle to connect them and use the diehedral gauage when glueing?

4) last one, what are the wing ribs?

thanks so much, will probably run into more stuff LOL

luvmy40

Elite member
I don't have access to a video camera but I'll ask some questions here and as I build:

1) where would the servos go?
Ideally, you want your servos as close to the Center of gravity as possible. This is not always possible. On this build, I mounted 9 gram metal gear servos right at the trailing edge of the wing on the sides of the fuse.

2) what are power pod doublers? The power pod doublers are glued to to inside sides of the front of the fuse as spacers to make the Mini Power Pod fit snuggly.

3) The wings look really easy, and I'm guessing they don't need curves, but should I put a joint in the middle to connect them and use the diehedral gauage when glueing? They absolutely need to be curved. This is the paper peel and forming that I spoke of. You make a tape hinge on top of the two wing halves. Peel the paper from the underside of the wing, then form the airfoil over the edge of your table/bench to match the wing ribs' profile. You then glue the ribs onto the etch lines on the wings. Now you open the wing at the hinge, apply glue to the edge of the foam(not directly onto the tape), and use the dihedral gauge to set the dihedral angle. Reinforce the joint with packing tape.

4) last one, what are the wing ribs? See above

thanks so much, will probably run into more stuff LOL

Donsity

why don't you build something that josh has made a build video for?

That would be nice, but I want a smaller one to fly in a park... not sure if the tiny trainer can handle a 3s 1000mah and the specs of my motor and esc? A Cub would be nice but might be too big and too complicated to build

Donsity

So I seem to get the part about the wings. They should be bent in the same shape as the wings... are any score cuts needed to help bending or just the peeling? I'm also confused about the hinges. Are they to join the two wing halves? And finally, are the etch lines the green reference lines on the wings?

luvmy40

Elite member
The Cub is definitely not a new pilot, small area friendly plane.

However, you should watch as many of the Bixler Build Videos as you can. They will help you with any foam build. You should also watch a few of the Master Series build videos as well.

Here's a picture of my Slow Flyer to show the servo placement and wing assembly. The servo placement is not critical, as long as you can get your CG right.
Slow Flyer Profile.jpg

I have reinforced the power pod BBQ skewers after several "hard landings", OK nose dives and crashes!

Moving the servos back, shortens the linkage making for less flex, but means the CG is shifted back as well and must be compensated. I just arbitrarily chose the trailing edge position as a good balance. It seems to be working for me.

Last edited:

luvmy40

Elite member
So I seem to get the part about the wings. They should be bent in the same shape as the wings... are any score cuts needed to help bending or just the peeling? I'm also confused about the hinges. Are they to join the two wing halves? And finally, are the etch lines the green reference lines on the wings?
No score cuts for bending the wings. Yes, the green lines are for placing the wing ribs. Yes, the tape hinge is a technique to join two pieces of foam to make one final piece. Again, watch some build vids and this will become clear.

bisco

Elite member
That would be nice, but I want a smaller one to fly in a park... not sure if the tiny trainer can handle a 3s 1000mah and the specs of my motor and esc? A Cub would be nice but might be too big and too complicated to build
all ft planes include specs for motor, battery and prop

luvmy40

Elite member
You will also want to make a hatch for electronics access in the bottom of the fuse. There many different ways do this. Several of which can be seen in many of the FT build videos.

Donsity

You will also want to make a hatch for electronics access in the bottom of the fuse. There many different ways do this. Several of which can be seen in many of the FT build videos.
Alright. So I suppose I'll be free to customize certain things as long as the shape is the same. I tried building this interesting model called a joytrainer mini and I ended up using velcro for a hatch.

luvmy40

Elite member
I made an A-Fold hatch and used a tape hinge with BBQ skewer stays on mine. You can do what ever you like, within reason. If you have a 3D printer, the possibilities are literally endless.

luvmy40

Elite member
Here's a pic of the Foam Wonder I just finished with a very nice 3D printed hatch release that another forum member pointed out on thingiverse.com
Foam Wonder VTO Ready.jpg

Donsity

I made an A-Fold hatch and used a tape hinge with BBQ skewer stays on mine. You can do what ever you like, within reason. If you have a 3D printer, the possibilities are literally endless.

I'll start building tomorrow. Will have to figure out how to print in tiled versions lol