Recommended Beginner Plane With my Electronics?

luvmy40

Elite member
So, the Slow Flyer will fly with the 2S battery. I got about 3 minutes out of the 2S 650mah packs. It won't be doing any areobatics but, "Eeet weel flii"

Donsity

So, the Slow Flyer will fly with the 2S battery. I got about 3 minutes out of the 2S 650mah packs. It won't be doing any areobatics but, "Eeet weel flii"

Alright. I'll be building it today... how well does it turn with just rudder? Should I single or double bevel that

luvmy40

Elite member
Turns great. You only need a single bevel. I'm running at pretty low rates and it dances on a 4S battery. You will want to reinforce the elevator with a popsicle stick or the like at the thin point in the center.

I posted a video of this mornings flight in the What did you fly today thread.

Donsity

The Cub is definitely not a new pilot, small area friendly plane.

However, you should watch as many of the Bixler Build Videos as you can. They will help you with any foam build. You should also watch a few of the Master Series build videos as well.

Here's a picture of my Slow Flyer to show the servo placement and wing assembly. The servo placement is not critical, as long as you can get your CG right. View attachment 229330

I have reinforced the power pod BBQ skewers after several "hard landings", OK nose dives and crashes!

Moving the servos back, shortens the linkage making for less flex, but means the CG is shifted back as well and must be compensated. I just arbitrarily chose the trailing edge position as a good balance. It seems to be working for me.

Do I need to cut out two dihedral guages or lay one wing flat and put the guage on the other

luvmy40

Elite member
Beauty. I made an FT flyer which lasted a few flights, but preferred a more realistic looking plane.
Do I need to cut out two dihedral guages or lay one wing flat and put the guage on the other
Just one dihedral jig. Lay one side flat on the bench with a roll of masking tape or something heavy enough to hold it down but not deform the airfoil, then use the jig on the tip of the other side at the longest point of the wing. Make sure to reinforce the joint with tape after the glue cools completely. Don't rush this, let it get plenty cool before removing the jig and letting the wing up off the bench.

Donsity

Just one dihedral jig. Lay one side flat on the bench with a roll of masking tape or something heavy enough to hold it down but not deform the airfoil, then use the jig on the tip of the other side at the longest point of the wing. Make sure to reinforce the joint with tape after the glue cools completely. Don't rush this, let it get plenty cool before removing the jig and letting the wing up off the bench.

Well, the rudder is moving opposite to my inputs... would moving the servo to the other side make it normal

Donsity

Or, flip the servo arm 180 deg.

one more thing: for the power pod, I believe I put the wood firewall onto the small power pod, reinforce that a lot with tape, and then glue it inside the fuselage with the spacers. Shuold it be flush up against the front sides of the fuse even though that might angle it upwards?

luvmy40

Elite member
Not necessarily. Push it up tight to the top corners. Flush with the main fuse, inset a bit or extended a bit isn't going to make a big difference. It will effect the CG slightly but not a big deal.

I just cut another Slow Flyer tonight. I'm going to be very careful with this build to do everything as precisely as possible.

My first one had some issues. I had to add some down thrust to the motor mount and cut flaps to correct a left side roll. I don't think this was due to the design. I think it was my assembly that was questionable. After the corrections, the plane flew like a dream.

Donsity

Not necessarily. Push it up tight to the top corners. Flush with the main fuse, inset a bit or extended a bit isn't going to make a big difference. It will effect the CG slightly but not a big deal.

I just cut another Slow Flyer tonight. I'm going to be very careful with this build to do everything as precisely as possible.

My first one had some issues. I had to add some down thrust to the motor mount and cut flaps to correct a left side roll. I don't think this was due to the design. I think it was my assembly that was questionable. After the corrections, the plane flew like a dream.

I'm going to be doing the maiden flight today - where should the CG be again? A picture would be appreciated :D

luvmy40

Elite member
I measure the CG at the tallest spot of the airfoil. Make sure you are looking at the wing and not the fuse . The fuse will look very nose heavy when the wing is level/neutral.

Donsity

I measure the CG at the tallest spot of the airfoil. Make sure you are looking at the wing and not the fuse . The fuse will look very nose heavy when the wing is level/neutral.
WOW

I maidened it and the first few times it was a bit sketchy. Then I made some changes, added landing gear, and it flew crazy amazing. I have to get used to not having SAFE and I'll make my throws less, but what a beautiful plane. Half of my "landings" have ended up with the power pod turning to an angle where it's unusable... how should I go about securing that

luvmy40

Elite member
WOW

I maidened it and the first few times it was a bit sketchy. Then I made some changes, added landing gear, and it flew crazy amazing. I have to get used to not having SAFE and I'll make my throws less, but what a beautiful plane. Half of my "landings" have ended up with the power pod turning to an angle where it's unusable... how should I go about securing that
Don't nose in?;)

Donsity

Don't nose in?;)

LOL

Well, I really appreciate all of the help. This was a cheap way of me getting back in the hobby and this one's really easy to build and flies well (although I have to get used to levelling the plane back myself and not banking too much) it flew nice even in 9mph winds, and it's a beautiful thing to look at in the air.

I've tried building three other planes in the past, and none of them worked out, and I was amazed when this one actually WORKED. And really well, too. Thank you!