Rocket Glider & Free Flight

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

rocketglider-9-png_1422907068.jpg

This is Josh Finn. Josh is an engineer who lives in Georgia and creates some of the coolest rockets we have ever seen.

rocketglider-1-png_1422906751.jpg

As you can probably tell by this photo, Josh is extremely passionate about model aviation.

rocketglider-3-png_1422906813.jpg

These delicate balsa builds resemble flat looking rocket, which they are! But they also hold a secret...

rocketglider-4-png_1422906842.jpg

BOOM! Rocket glider!

rocketglider-11-png_1422907319.jpg

On most model rockets there is an ejection charge at the end of the burn that deploys a small parachute.
What Josh did was use that ejection charge to instead deploy a pair of swing wings.

rocketglider-12-png_1422907260.jpg

In short, the rocket takes off, goes really, really high, and then the wings fold out and the craft glides gently back to Earth.

rocketglider-13-png_1422907280.jpg

These are the exact same Estes A8-3 engines you would use on any other type of model rocket but the end result is much more impressive!

rocketglider-14-png_1422907393.jpg

rocketglider-18-png_1422907413.jpg

rocketglider-19-png_1422907449.jpg

rocketglider-20-png_1422907398.jpg

rocketglider-22-png_1422907528.jpg

rocketglider-23-png_1422907552.jpg

rocketglider-24-png_1422907493.jpg

rocketglider-21-png_1422907418.jpg

rocketglider-25-png_1422907586.jpg

rocketglider-26-png_1422907590.jpg

rocketglider-33-png_1422911447.jpg

After a brief retrevial mission the glider made it back safely.
After a few more launches we though that Josh couldn't impress us more than he already had. Then he went to his car to retrieve this...

rocketglider-27-png_1422907530.jpg

This is a stick and tissue replica of the Hughes H-4 Hercules (aka the Spruce Goose).
The "Spruce Goose" holds the record for the largest flying boat ever made and the largest wingspan of any aircraft ever made.
Also a fun bit of trivia, even though it was nicknamed the "Spruce Goose" it wasn't made from spruce at all, but instead birch wood.

rocketglider-28-png_1422907558.jpg

This model is constructed from tissue paper covering a balsa frame. Believe it or not, there isn't a single scrap of electronics on this thing.

rocketglider-29-png_1422907577.jpg

The motors are instead powerd by very special rubber bands. Josh uses a winding tool with a counter to make sure each band has the same amount of tension.

rocketglider-30-png_1422907607.jpg

Once all the bands are wound, it's ready to go!

rocketglider-31-png_1422907719.jpg

rocketglider-32-png_1422907737.jpg

rocketglider-34-png_1422911697.jpg

We've met a lot of brave pilots over the years, but anybody who builds something with this amount of detail and no way to control where it flies definitely has something special!
We want to again thank Josh and his wife Hope for allowing us to visit their home and for showing us these amazing feats of model building.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
This looks like something FAI-F1D would appreciate. Great episode. Showing the more discrete side of model aviation is a real plus of having a bigger fan base, and nobody can call a FF RB powered model a drone!

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
This looks like something FAI-F1D would appreciate.

Weeelll.... that would be because you have now seen what I look like. (and my apologies)

Being able to demonstrate our models for the FT crew is one of the major highlights of my model aviation career. They did a fantastic job of catching the models in flight--it's a level of footage that has never before been produced, and it's humbling and incredibly exciting to have been a part of it.

JetexJim

Well done guys for getting some Free Flight on FliteTest. Great to see those rocket powered models.

Now, how about some Jetex or Rapier power? Here's a link for some contacts...
http://jetex.org/

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Simply Amazing! I am in awe of what I just watched. This is now one of my favorite FT episodes.

So when do we get plans and a build video on some of these wonders Josh (aka FAI-F1D)? Also when do we get to see a Josh, Josh & Josh Flite Test episode?

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
So when do we get plans and a build video on some of these wonders Josh (aka FAI-F1D)? Also when do we get to see a Josh, Josh & Josh Flite Test episode?

Well I reckon we need to look into how to make all that available. I've published plans for a multitude of models, but bear in mind that these aren't what you'd call "simple". Here's a prime example: http://indoornewsandviews.com/2014/03/17/joshua-finns-ama-cat-i-record-f1d/
And another which represents the "simple" end of the spectrum:
MaxoutIX.png

There are various plans of mine scattered around the 'net, mainly at INAV and in the Hip Pocket Aeronautics plan gallery.

If there's sufficient demand for plans, though, I can look into making them available here. Unfortunately I've never produced plans for any of the rockets, but the continued requests for such are making me think the time has come.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I was impressed, alright. But I'm sure I will be even more impressed by those indoor frames that I'd be afraid to touch because the look thinner than a butterfly wing. Looking forward to another video with this. Awesome technology - wait, not. ;-)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Outstanding episode, I thought that was FAI-F1D but wasn't 100% sure ;) That spruce goose is amazing!

I've been meaning to build another rocket glider for years....I have a few Edmonds Aerospace Deltie's that need a bit of repair and a Delta Thunder that is still awaiting it's maiden because I have yet to get around to building a launcher for it (Should really get going on that, I built the darn thing in 1996!) http://edmondsaerospace.com/ His designs are simple and fly great - but aren't as impressive as folding wing designs.

I also built a non-rocket launched folding wing design published in Make magazine a few years ago:

(Plans and instructions here: http://makezine.com/projects/make-31/folding-wing-glider-rockets-up-glides-down/ I used a small bit of plywood for the pivot which worked just fine but acrylic would probably be better.)

My attempt to launch it pneumatically didn't go so well...needs a bit of reinforcement to handle a real "rocket" launch :D

Looking forward to the other video with FAI-F1D as well!

I've been itching to build a freeflight balsa and tissue rubber model for awhile to share with my daughter, she's getting close to the age I was at when I built my first one (and she's been begging me to take her to our airshow in a few weeks - woo hoo!) Looks like I should have some extra balsa left from my current build) so may have to track down some good rubber and make that happen. What's a good source for rubber now, didn't the main supplier shut down last year?

Oh, and did I hear right that that one was a micromaxx glider? Would love to see more of that little guy as I have a big stash of micromaxx motors I bought when it sounded like they were going out of production :D

So yeah...LOVED this episode, I'm sure there are some on youtube upset about no RC but I absolutely love seeing FT cover other aspects of flight and look forward to more!

earthsciteach

LOVED the episode! Dan's buddy is a really interesting guy. Can't wait to see the indoor endurance flight episode!

One problem with the episode…. It has my brain thinking about that ballistic launched glider, again. Ain't nobody got time for that!

johnmw

propulsion impromptu
oh wow..
such a delicate yet powerful engineering work, it is almost an art.

i could feel the passion, creativity and knowledge surfaced from each showcase,
wonderful couple sharing the hobby too.. thank you for making this episode!

..can't wait for Josh's build :D

A thing involving flight that had me hooked for years was water bottle rockets,pressurized by air and some great design ideas for parachute deployment.
most rockets were built out of 2 litre bottles spliced and PU glued together to build some great airships.
Air Command is the best website http://www.aircommandrockets.com/
these guys downunder know their science!

mpresi

Well I reckon we need to look into how to make all that available. I've published plans for a multitude of models, but bear in mind that these aren't what you'd call "simple". Here's a prime example: http://indoornewsandviews.com/2014/03/17/joshua-finns-ama-cat-i-record-f1d/
And another which represents the "simple" end of the spectrum:
View attachment 39876

There are various plans of mine scattered around the 'net, mainly at INAV and in the Hip Pocket Aeronautics plan gallery.

If there's sufficient demand for plans, though, I can look into making them available here. Unfortunately I've never produced plans for any of the rockets, but the continued requests for such are making me think the time has come.

Hi, greetings from Italy.

Your work is really awesome! I would be interested in the Goose build plans, if they are available. I've never seen a multi-rubber motor so far!

Thanks!

Marco

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Great episode and I'm very impressed with the builds and flights made by FAI-F1D/Josh and Hope!

It's funny how I also just saw a FreeFlight Dr.1 posted on HobbyKing's Arkansas warehouse right after this episode aired! Even has an electric winding device.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Your work is really awesome! I would be interested in the Goose build plans, if they are available. I've never seen a multi-rubber motor so far!

I have an agreement with Free Flight Quarterly to publish the plans for the Goose through them, hopefully this year if I can get the plans drafted quickly (those poor folks have been bugging me for the plans for almost 4 years now--entirely my fault honestly). I've got waaay too many irons in the fire including a publication on the swing wing gliders and building a large batch of F1D prop hubs to be sold at the Eurochamps in March. And looking for a piece of land where we can build a house, an airfield, and an indoor flying site. And a little boy coming along who's gonna make all that much more interesting.

But it will all come together in time. In the meantime, you can find plans for a multitude of excellent multiengine scale models in the plans gallery at hippocketaeronautics.com. AMA plans service also has a few.

Ones I know of for which plans exist:
Chris Starleaf's Dehavilland Dash 8 (photos: http://www.ffscale.co.uk/star.htm); this is the most popular design for multiengine rubber power
Mike Stuart's King Air 200 (http://www.ffscale.co.uk/plans21.htm)
Also Mike's Portsmouth Aerocar (http://www.ffscale.co.uk/plans20.htm)
Pres Bruning's peanut scale TA-154
Dumas, Starleaf, and others have produced plans and kits for the P-82
Bill Henn published several plans for multiengine rubber ships, most of them proposed aircraft that weren't built. These include the Reggianne Bifusoliero, Me-609, and Arado E-530.
Chris Starleaf's Cessna 310 is available through the Flying Aces Club
Several plans are available for the Grumman F7F--a great flier, too

Volare sells plans for (and everything else you could possibly ever need!) an FW 189: http://volareproducts.com/BUY/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_5_10&products_id=283

More than three motors is rare, but there have been a select few with more, like Starleaf's B-24, Monz Lyons' Avro Shackleton, and Mike Stuart's national champion AW Argosy.

Mike Midkiff (Ozark Model Aviation) sells plans and laser cut parts for several multi's, including the DH Hornet and the B-25.

Great episode and I'm very impressed with the builds and flights made by FAI-F1D/Josh and Hope!

It's funny how I also just saw a FreeFlight Dr.1 posted on HobbyKing's Arkansas warehouse right after this episode aired! Even has an electric winding device.

Thanks! You can find some outstanding kits at volareproducts.com. Also keep an eye out for http://peck-polymers.com/ to come online in the coming months. Easybuilt Models also has a fantastic line up of stick and tissue scale models as well as some great classics like the Miss Canada Senior (an awesome airplane...it can and will try to fly off in a thermal, though, so you need a timer on it).

Last edited:

JetexJim

Jetex models in England 2002

Here are a couple of Jetex/Rapier videos I just uploaded. These were recorded on analogue video in around 2002 at Old Warden in England.
Sorry about the poor quality of the edits.

Notice the duration of the power runs compared to those Estes rocket motors. I'll try and post more later.

Here's some much nicer ones that someone else as posted

Last edited:

JetexJim

Vintage Jetex from Sweden

This, from the Swedish film archive is a must see. If you want to skip to the Jetex powered models they start at 3mins 50secs

(Back in the days when men were men and Flight control boards were not even science fiction :) )

Here's a link to my blog where I write about the curious connection between rocket powered models and the writer Nevil Shute.
http://terry-kidd.blogspot.de/2015/01/nevil-shute-maker.html

Last edited: