Scout XL - Scratch Build

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Cutting Sheet 6 on the needle cutter now. Hopefully I'll have time to build this weekend.

Does anyone think I might be OK using 9g metal gear servos on this? I don't have any 17g servos.
How much is your time worth? I mean you probably would get away with 9g metal gear but I wouldn't try it myself. Have any 23g?

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Cutting Sheet 6 on the needle cutter now. Hopefully I'll have time to build this weekend.

Does anyone think I might be OK using 9g metal gear servos on this? I don't have any 17g servos.
I used 9g metal gear servos, It flew ok but thats my fault

luvmy40

Elite member
I have the Scout XL almost done. I still have to print the "plywood", and I'm waiting on the servos to arrive.

I modified it so the wing is removeable. I had several ideas of how to do so and could not decide on best course of action. I pulled out the FT Edge 540 for a side by side comparison and came up a similar setup that looks like it will be plenty strong and, relatively easy to deal with.
Scout XL 1.jpg
Scout XL 2.jpg
Scout XL 3.jpg

The wings are held in with rubber bands and skewers and it is a snug fit in the socket. The hatch has 4 popsicle sticks aligning and securing the front and the back is held with a skewer. All the skewers are reinforced with printed discs. I had to tie 2 rubber bands together to get them long enough. One band would stretch far enough, but it put way to much stress on the skewers.

BTW, there seems to be a flock of Scouts in my living room!

Flock of Scouts.jpg

Spitfire76

I have the Scout XL almost done. I still have to print the "plywood", and I'm waiting on the servos to arrive.

I modified it so the wing is removeable. I had several ideas of how to do so and could not decide on best course of action. I pulled out the FT Edge 540 for a side by side comparison and came up a similar setup that looks like it will be plenty strong and, relatively easy to deal with.
View attachment 231129 View attachment 231130 View attachment 231131

The wings are held in with rubber bands and skewers and it is a snug fit in the socket. The hatch has 4 popsicle sticks aligning and securing the front and the back is held with a skewer. All the skewers are reinforced with printed discs. I had to tie 2 rubber bands together to get them long enough. One band would stretch far enough, but it put way to much stress on the skewers.

View attachment 231128
Your removable wing idea looks interesting, thanks for posting it here I may just need it as i am sure it won't fit in my VW SportsWagen if the wing is fixed.

RossFPV

View attachment 231129 View attachment 231130 View attachment 231131

View attachment 231128
The tail on the medium scout looks different. is it a 3d scout?

Spitfire76

Finally got around to making the wings. Photo is just the left wing but now have made both and joined them. The difference with the SBK seems to be just the trailing edge spas which are separate on the SBK. Also the SBK is using the larger format FB and folds on the leading edge but with standard size the top and bottom wings need to be taped together but that seems to work just fine.

IMG_3593.JPG

Last edited:

Spitfire76

Now have to decide on power pack. Will likely get the FT one but what battery should I get?. All my other planes either have a 2200mAh 3s or a 1300mAh 3s whereas a 3300mAh is recommended for the Scout XL. Wonder if I could use 2 x 2200mAh in parallel ?. On the other hand if I need new batteries for this plane should I go to 4s ?

Yankee2003

Now have to decide on power pack. Will likely get the FT one but what battery should I get?. All my other planes either have a 2200mAh 3s or a 1300mAh 3s whereas a 3300mAh is recommended for the Scout XL. Wonder if I could use 2 x 2200mAh in parallel ?. On the other hand if I need new batteries for this plane should I go to 4s ?

I went with the 2 2000mAh 3s packs in parallel. which I got from watching the Ben Harber video. Mine needed the weight to balance. So if you go 4 s…think big (equivalent weight to two 20003s).

Spitfire76

I went with the 2 2000mAh 3s packs in parallel. which I got from watching the Ben Harber video. Mine needed the weight to balance. So if you go 4 s…think big (equivalent weight to two 20003s).
Thanks, I will first try with 2 x 2200mAh 3S batteries in parallel too!

Spitfire76

Wings attached but learnt not to include one of the control horns before threading the wing into the fuselage!. Also found that with the wings fixed it will fit into my car but only just. Next step is to order the power pack.

IMG_3603.JPG

Spitfire76

There is a couple of 3d printed parts that I would like to design, one is a servo mount for the FT 17g servos and there other is a battery mount that will hold two 2200mAh 3s batteries.