SCX-200 Race Quad Build Log

mpbiv

Dude that's awesome, you're frame totally deserves the attention it's getting.

Side note, just got my email this morning that the v2 upgrade kit has shipped. I have all the electronics, so I'll probably start the soldering everything up using the v1 kit as reference. Outside of the placement of the camera supports moving forward, the overall dimensions haven't changed much from the v1 to the v2 right? Don't want to do something stupid like wire anything up too short when the it's time to transplant it to the v2 plates.

The camera mount does allow you to move the cam forward, but it's like 4mm difference which isn't much, but allows for a lot more tilt if required. If you are using an HS1177 with the bottom mount connector, I wouldn't even worry about the difference between the V1 and V2 parts. The only other wiring difference to watch out for is the vtx: I run mine from the front of the PDB where the camera wiring is, and then up and over the FC and RX. You may want to do this part last.

You should definitely be able to wire up all the ESC's to a PDB/FC and also add your RC RX without any issues before the updated parts arrive.

jipp

congrats, i dig the colors.. i bought a blue 180 zmr because i had to have blue.. you deserve all the credit you get you have made a fine design. wish you much success. :)

chris.

mpbiv

Will the Armattan Lite kit come with 4mm arms?
Yes it will. None of the carbon parts are changing thickness.

I have others ask me similar questions, so I think a lot of people are inferring that "lite" implies they are changing the frame to make it even lighter. But it doesn't mean that, it just means the frame will not carry the full Armattan Lifetime Warranty like their other frames do.

Ocean

Yes it will. None of the carbon parts are changing thickness.

I have others ask me similar questions, so I think a lot of people are inferring that "lite" implies they are changing the frame to make it even lighter. But it doesn't mean that, it just means the frame will not carry the full Armattan Lifetime Warranty like their other frames do.

Sorry for another question but does the nice OSHPark PDB we see in the blog post and the O-ring for the VTX Mounting come with the Kit?

mpbiv

Sorry for another question but does the nice OSHPark PDB we see in the blog post and the O-ring for the VTX Mounting come with the Kit?

In regards to Armattan Lite frames, I don't know for sure yet. Chris at Armattan is putting together all that stuff, probably right now as we speak. I want to say it will include the PDB and the o-ring, but don't hold me to that, its really up to him since he is gracious enough to put up the capital to make this happen.

And although the PDB picture appears like the ones on OSH Park, I am pretty sure he is doing a production batch of them through a different board house because he just sent me a sample, and even the prototypes are black. See below :)

IMG_1743.JPG

What I can tell you is that the first batch of frames will be red/black and blue/black combos of some sort! They actually look super awesome from what I've seen. I will be doing another build log here soon since I will have some pre-production prototypes to play with.

jipp

red and black, and blue and black.. ok man you sold me! I will be buying one once they are finalize etc.. really cool you are offering colors. its a small thing but all black gets old. dont get me wrong its cool.. but if i have a option for a black or a black/red blue/black im going color.

and i think it may even make the material a bit more stronger than carbon alone.. because the glass they are using is the same stuff i use on traditional bows.. and the stuff is robust and hell.. and will add positive attributes the carbon does not have so having both will be a win win from my point of view.. from the looks of it will be about 60.00 or so which will be a fair price i think. woohoo, am excited now too. i assume the ciolor was a personal batch thing.. :D glad you are sharing.

i wish the martian PDB had the provisions for polou regulators built in.. very nice option. :D
chris.

Last edited:

Ocean

Just got ours in to review at Drone Insider. Thanks to Chris at Armattan for sending it to us. The red carbon is really stunning and looks great in person, and as usual from Armattan, the carbon is very high quality. Review incoming shortly.
13287948_1697474070501202_1939405511_o.jpg
Just wondering what size O-Ring will I need to mount the VTx?

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Just got ours in to review at Drone Insider. Thanks to Chris at Armattan for sending it to us. The red carbon is really stunning and looks great in person, and as usual from Armattan, the carbon is very high quality. Review incoming shortly.
View attachment 69840

[Paris Hilton]That's hot[/Paris Hilton] #tooold?

mpbiv

View attachment 69840
These are the ones I use and have been packaging packaging with my personal kits.

1x..............Square Profile O-ring, 6mm ID, 1.5mm thick (McMaster Carr 1171N142 or equivalent)(optional vtx mounting assembly)
http://www.mcmaster.com/#1171N142

1x..............Square Profile O-ring, 6mm ID, 1mm thick (McMaster Carr 1171N119 or equivalent) (vtx mounting assembly)
http://www.mcmaster.com/#1171N119

Basically 6mm, 1-1.5mm thick should work. I would imagine a round o-ring of the same size would probably work as well.

mpbiv

Chris at Armattan sent me a couple pre-production prototypes as well!

One of them happened to be pink! So I decided to start building a pink/purple copter :)

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

This color was run as a test, and it won't be offered as far as I know.

The red frames are going to be hot though! I'm planning a super clean build based around it and probably some XNova 2204 2300kv motors!

jipp

cool, it looks good. even tho it does not look very pink camera wash out or my monitor?

look forward to future builds. :D

chris.

Ocean

Here's my review of the SCX, actual article here.

As one would expect from such a small and compact frame it is primarily designed for racing. We at Drone Insider were kindly sent a pre-production model by Chris Armattan to review, and here is what we think:

The frame is available to purchase in Red or Cobalt from Armattan Productions.

First Impressions:

The first part of the frame that struck us was the beautiful red carbon. We feel it’s great to see companies experiment with different colours for the carbon over the boring black. It is likley Armattan will stock a blue/black and a red/black version. We love the red as it matches Emax Red bottoms or the XNovas.

13275435_1698191330429476_914999326_o.jpg

The quality of the carbon seemed good as well. Very clean cuts even around the screw holes for the arms. When we ran our finger on the edge of the carbon there was no dust left over, a sign that the frame has been properly prepped before it was shipped.

13282385_1698191110429498_1704422670_o.jpg 13288155_1698191217096154_1176124096_o.jpg

The top plate, bottom plate and camera mounting brackets were all very close to their advertised width. However, the arms were not quite at 4.00mm, this may be due to the fact that our model was pre production.

Design:

The SCX goes for a very compact central pod, centred around the included PDB. This PDB is specifically designed for the frame, and features spaces for 2 Pololu regulators as well as conveniently placed + and - pads for the ESCs, the VTx and the Camera. However we would have preferred for there to be holes for the pololus to slot into. Currently there are only pads which makes wiring it up a tad more difficult. Despite this we still think the PDB is well designed and fit for purpose, as trying to build around a regular PDB is very difficult indeed.

The camera mount is specifically designed around the 25 x 25mm board camera, such as the HS1177 or the TBS Zero Zero. Fitting any other board camera will be neigh on impossible, and couldn’t potentially weaken the frame if you were to remove the specific mounting bracket. If you stick to the recommended board camera however, it pieces together perfectly. What we recommend doing is boring out the holes on the HS1177 very slightly. Then assemble the camera holder with the camera in place and top placed screwed in. This means the holes that you bore will be perfectly straight, otherwise it’s very easy to make the mount wonky. Also it is strongly recommended to use a HS1177 with the camera connected located at the bottom, otherwise routing the cable will be very difficult.

The VTx mounting is also very interesting, and different from any other frame we have ever seen. The design revolves around passing the SMA of the VTx through 2 pieces of carbon with an O-Ring between them. The Antenna attaches on the other end. As you tighten the antenna it compresses the O-Ring. It is best described here. This design is certainly unique, and we haven’t had the time to test the design completely during the hardest of crashes. However we are confident it will hold up if the case of most crash, and we have crashed it and can confirm it survives.What does concern us if that if you are using an antenna with a coax that is very rigid. The force exerted in a crash could potentially snap the SMA clean off the VTx or the antenna. Or worse, both. This problem is averted with the coax that is not as rigid but still can hold its place in the case of a collision with a race gate or even another quad.

13288658_1698191033762839_92745900_o.jpg

Another stellar piece of design is the buttressing of the arms. We first saw this on the ImpulseRC Alien and we have also seen it on some frames since then. It significantly reduces stress on individual arms in crashes, by dissipating the energy amongst the other arms. Meaning you are less likely to break an arm in a hard crash.
13288404_1698191090429500_852583701_o.jpg

The Frame is also a “true X” in the sense that it’s shaped like an X as well as the motors are equally spaced.

13282739_1698191213762821_1233672520_o.jpg 13323845_1698191207096155_257154083_o.jpg
Another very new feature is the ‘sunk-in’ nuts on the bottom plate. These are just nuts that have been imbedded in the carbon fibre (probably friction fit). Apart from the fact that this could result in the losing the nuts (very unlikely) or potentially weakening the carbon fibre, it’s one less part to drop on the floor whilst building and has saved our bacon multiple times already!

13282876_1698191077096168_778246958_o.jpg
The Build:

When the frame was sent to us the PDB was not yet ready, so our frame contained a 2mm plate instead. This made our build significantly harder as we had to fit all our components in a 30mm vertical stack, and we are not going to lie it was a very difficult build. The hardest part was ensuring that all the wires were of perfect length as there is no room for complacency in this build, if a wire is too long it will get cut. We would rate it harder than a Shrieker, but not quite as hard as a RotorX Atom to build. That being said the included PDB will make the build MUCH easier, as it gives you an extra 8mm margin to work with. Using anything other than a depinned X4R-SB/D4R or XSR would probably be impossible. One thing we do recommend is to put the battery strap in before you put the Flight Controller in, otherwise you will have to thread the battery strap through which is a bit of a pain to do.

Motors: Emax RS2205 2300kv “Red Bottoms”
ESC: DYS XM30A
FC: XRacer F303
Receiver: FrSky XSR
Antenna: A slightly broken ImmersionRC Spironet.
VTx: TS5823S
Props: DAL T5045 V2 Tri Blade

13389343_1703131813268761_1776494923_o.jpg

And damn does this build look good, the red bottoms really go well with the red carbon, as do the DAL V2s.

13405327_1703131843268758_574737056_o.jpg

Our build was quite heavy at 343g without battery. We used the ‘cases’ provided with the XM30A to protect the ESCs from damage, which added at least 10g in total. With the included PDB, it should be possible to shave off around 40g if you build tight. Which places this quad well within a suitable weight for racing.

Flight Performance

The inflight characteristics are crisp and smooth. After we loaded up Betaflight 2.7.1, we only had to tweak the P and I gains slightly before we had the quad flying as we wanted. The centralised mass really makes a difference in hard manoeuvres, and we felt that it meant we could let the D gains be slightly lower without getting any bounceback. The VTx mounting solution really does work well in practice, and we have yet to see any issues with the antenna slipping down. We find a good trick is the heatshrink the SMA and the antenna together, so that the SMA is not free to rotate unless the antenna does as well. This completely eliminates the possibility of the antenna ‘sliding’ down into the props.

Conclusion

A well though-out design with quality machining from Armattan. It flies, as you would expect, like a dream and the VTx mounting is innovative, but does work very well. Perhaps its tight build and lack of holes for a pololu regulator bring it down 1 point. At $70 the SCX is on the same level as the shrike, however with the strench of both the frame and the design philosophy, we would argue that it is more than a match for the Shrike.

Flying: 9/10
Build: 6/10
Price: 8/10
Overall: 9/10

mpbiv

Thanks for the fair review!

Your build came out really nice.

I really need to post some more pictures in this thread as I have built up a few more SCX-200's over the past few weeks and I also finally got my hands on some of the final production Armattan Lite SCX-200 kits that Chris at Armattan was kind enough to send me.

learn2turn

Arm width

Anyone know the arm width (in mm)?

I saw a lot of dimensions, like arm thickness, in this thread but didn't see the arm width. I'm interesting in the ArmattanLite version. Starting to pick out parts but haven't ordered a frame yet and I'm trying to pick ESCs and don't want them wider than the arms.

-l2t

mpbiv

Anyone know the arm width (in mm)?

I saw a lot of dimensions, like arm thickness, in this thread but didn't see the arm width. I'm interesting in the ArmattanLite version. Starting to pick out parts but haven't ordered a frame yet and I'm trying to pick ESCs and don't want them wider than the arms.

-l2t

If you don't want the esc's to poke over the edges stick to these:

-Little Bee 20A BLHeli or BLHeli-S
-UBAD 30A Angry Beasts
-DYS XM20a or XS20a
-Sunrise Cicada 20A (Maybe the 30A too)
-Aikon SEFM 30A BLHeli-S
-Lumenier F390 20A or 30A
-Lumeneir 30A BLHeli-S

All of those should be good choices, arms are ~14mm wide if I recall correctly.