SIG Kadet Senior Sport - First ARF

bliss224

Hi all,

I am a new flyer and one of my projects this winter was to put together a nitro trainer for when I find and join a local club this spring. My experience so far has only been electrics, but I knew I wanted a fuel powered aircraft before I bought my first trainer foamie. For christmas my family was extremely generous and got me this SIG ARF and a matching Magnum 52 fourstroke. Its almost all completed just waiting on a final order of fuel and a fuel dot to show up so I can break in the engine. I won't be flying this aircraft until can find a club join and work with an instructor experienced with nitro who can look over my plane as this is my first nitro and balsa plane build.

sigsport 5.jpg sigsport1.jpg sigsport2.jpg sigsport3.jpg sigsport6.jpg

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
I just ordered mine yesterday , should be here monday. Got the red one , going electric with it using a .60 size equivalent outrunner and 6 cell lipos , should be crazy power!!!!! I had a senior about 7 years ago with a Magnum .91 four stroke , it was a blast to fly , i fly mostly 3d now but its always fun and relaxing to fly a senior , probably one of the best flying planes ever made! Good luck with this one and im anxious to hear how she does for you!
Gary

bliss224

I just ordered mine yesterday , should be here monday. Got the red one , going electric with it using a .60 size equivalent outrunner and 6 cell lipos , should be crazy power!!!!! I had a senior about 7 years ago with a Magnum .91 four stroke , it was a blast to fly , i fly mostly 3d now but its always fun and relaxing to fly a senior , probably one of the best flying planes ever made! Good luck with this one and im anxious to hear how she does for you!
Gary

Thanks Gary! You are going to love this ARF. I had considered going electric in the beginning but the price of those 6s batteries scared me off. Plus i also wanted a nitro so this seemed like the best easy to fly frame to give it a go. My kadet won't be getting up in the air for a while but I'm getting ready to fire it up for the first time to start the break in. Good luck with your Kadet, if you can a flight video would be awesome in the future.

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
10984260_770074469736692_5300191054362046457_n.jpg
Just got it today , waiting on the Motor , ESC , RX , Servos and batteries. With the Power 60 and 6s batteries it will definitly be overpowered , but it should fly great. Its built different than the one i had years back , but still a great looking plane. Im already missing the big .91 four stroke that i had on my old one!!! lol

bliss224

Beautiful plane. What engine are you using?

Thanks! A Magnum xls.52 fourstroke

View attachment 40444
Just got it today , waiting on the Motor , ESC , RX , Servos and batteries. With the Power 60 and 6s batteries it will definitly be overpowered , but it should fly great. Its built different than the one i had years back , but still a great looking plane. Im already missing the big .91 four stroke that i had on my old one!!! lol

Wow really nice plane, I love the red. When i was researching what motor to get the common consensus was a .52 4 stroke for what i wanted to do with it (basic training, not to much in the way of acrobatics or towing). That thing must have been crazy fun with a .91! If you don't mind me asking what did you go with in terms of servos and the esc?

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
On the one i had years ago i just ran standard futabas , for this red one im using Solar Digital metal geared servos http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d228.html

And on the motor i am using a Tacon BigFoot 60 http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m606-bigfoot60-4030-400kv.html

And the esc is a Castle Creations Talon 90 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCYNG&P=ML

Im also running a spektrum AR7610 hi speed reciever with my JR9503 radio.

The servos are a cheaper brand , but my brother uses them in his giant scale planes up to 100cc and the perform better than hitec , so i decided to give them a try.

Gonna do some Gold pinstriping in between the white and red all the way around , it should look good.

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
i just noticed that the valve cover on your magnum 52 is blue , was that planned or a happy accident?? lol

bliss224

Thanks for putting up the supply list. That is an amazing price for that motor and those servos and they seem to get some great reviews! I really like the idea of gold trim. My only experience with covering is with a sig kit im working on now, but I'm not brave enough to try and add anything to my Kadet Senior Sport.

i just noticed that the valve cover on your magnum 52 is blue , was that planned or a happy accident?? lol

A very happy accident lol.

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
ive done pinstriping before , any automotive pinstriping works , just get an extra roll , if it doesnt lay down properly then pull it back up and try again , its more of a trial and error learning curve! lol , took me a while to get it down myself..... 62671_771042042973268_3175763016088946014_n.jpg Semi finished product , the rest of the stuff i ordered was supposed to be delivered today but wyoming must still be using pony express for shipping! lol , should have the stuff tomorrow to finish it out , had it together in about an hour and a half , the side windows were kind of a pain tho.

bliss224

ive done pinstriping before , any automotive pinstriping works , just get an extra roll , if it doesnt lay down properly then pull it back up and try again , its more of a trial and error learning curve! lol , took me a while to get it down myself..... View attachment 40612 Semi finished product , the rest of the stuff i ordered was supposed to be delivered today but wyoming must still be using pony express for shipping! lol , should have the stuff tomorrow to finish it out , had it together in about an hour and a half , the side windows were kind of a pain tho.

Looking awesome! Hmm I might have to see what color pin striping i could get now. I have to say besides hooking up the 4 stroke throttle linkage my least favorite part was the windows.

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
i did one of those linkages once on a hobby lobby senior telemaster , it was a pain in the neck! they work great once you get them tho.
I was thinking tht if i got the blue one , silver pinstriping would have looked good , but luckily i got the red one . The kadet senior i had years back was the blue one , thats why i went for the red.

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
I got the motor and servos today , still waiting on the esc , rx and batteries and 16x8 props , ill get pics once i get the motor on

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
20150216_162925.jpeg 20150216_162935.jpeg 20150216_163426.jpeg 20150216_163435.jpeg

Made some progress , still waiting on a few things , dang pony express mail in wyoming!!!!!! The prop that is on there is a 13x6 , i just put it on for looks until the 16x8E APC props get here..... Im gonna pick up a cheap video camer so i can get video , i hope to see video of yours as well once you get a chance to put her in the air!!!!

bliss224

Made some progress , still waiting on a few things , dang pony express mail in wyoming!!!!!! The prop that is on there is a 13x6 , i just put it on for looks until the 16x8E APC props get here..... Im gonna pick up a cheap video camer so i can get video , i hope to see video of yours as well once you get a chance to put her in the air!!!!

That thing is looking sweet!! I haven't seen an electronic system that beefy before definitely looks like fun. I was thinking along the same lines as far as cameras and I think I am gonna get a mobius when its closer to the time to get her in the air. I wonder what the view would be look to put it behind the plastic windshield on the battery hatch. I have actually contacted a local club that recently opened up its memberships so hopefully I have an instructor to help get it off the ground.

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
I picked up a cheap video camera so i can video the maiden flights , it should be soon if the weather here in wyoming figures out what it wants to do!

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
10425149_775663009177838_2162251437476540466_n.jpg 10930927_775662932511179_6809272532666305353_n.jpg 10990834_775662945844511_647354579872387048_n.jpg 10993426_775663069177832_1799039956051324802_n.jpg

Got some pinstriping done , wasnt that bad , the only difficult part was the sharp curve up by the nose , took about 45 minutes and had it all done , after doing it on this , im confident that you should have no problem doind it on your or anything you have!!!!! The downfall , the 2 rolls i bought was 35 bucks!!!!!! OUCH! it does look good tho. Definitly looks a lil better than the pic on the bottom!

Attachments

• 10984260_770074469736692_5300191054362046457_n.jpg
    10984260_770074469736692_5300191054362046457_n.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

bliss224

Loving that gold pin stripping. Can't wait till you can post some stuff from her maiden, there are surprisingly not to many videos out there on this awesome ARF. If mine survives her maiden I think im gonna spruce her up. My recent project was making some DIY wing bags (out of an old comforter) as someone else moved the wings on me and poked two small tiny hole punches in the wings. got it all patched and decaled over the patch so you cant see it but I was not happy when I noticed lol.

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
I was thinking of making some myself....As easy as these planes fly , im sure yours will survive , the one i had years back i purposefully tried to crash , i beat the crap out of that thing but it kept flying!

MrClean

Nice! I loved the old Senior, big ole kite. put a 40 fp in it, trike gear, point it down the runway get it moving and rotate nose high for a takeoff (handy in tall grass with low power) get up and float for an hour on 8 ounces of gas. Fun plane.

OR

Stick a stinking 90 in it like my hobbyshop guy did and fly it knife edge.

Like I said, fun plane.

I have to retire sometime so I can start building again.