Sig Wonder Build

jsknockoff

Mentor
I picked up a Sig Wonder from Tower while ordering some supplies for the Cub I’m building for the Fall Build. I had a chance to open it up this morning and take a look at the plans. First thought, this thing is built like a tank! It was designed around using a fairly large for the size glow engine which would justify the beefy airframe. For my Wonder I will be doing some mild lightening and using an outrunner of modest size. I don’t want a guided missle, I’d like a quick sport plane that will hold up to a bit of abuse. Plans also call for 3 standard servos and a full size receiver as well as the glow engine, fuel tank, and flight battery. I should be able to shed some significant ounces by using smaller servos, a modern receiver, and the electric motor setup. I’ll be getting started on this one immediately after the Cub.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
What's the suggested weight of the original? It'll be interesting to watch this one go on a diet :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
You'll remove some of the glow-weight, but add much of it right back in with the battery tray, battery, access hatch, etc. It should still be lighter than with glow, and you can shave a few grams here & there by lightening other parts where possible. I did something similar with a Hobby King Red Swan glider balsa kit that was WAY over-built. My first Red Swan was built per the plans, and the second was done as an exercise in weight-reduction. The final weight was about 20% lighter than the original, which is fantastic for a glider. Hopefully Sig has good quality wood picked out to start with, and you may be able to add lightening holes to the ribs, maybe use thinner sheet and re-cut the ribs, use smaller bracing, etc. If you look back at the build thread I did quite a while back for that Red Swan "lite" I did it may give some other ideas.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow - a 20% weight reduction would be a huge difference in stall speed and lift! And lower takeoff and landing speeds too... all good things in my book :)

jsknockoff

Mentor
Projected weight per the plan is 26-38oz. There are a lot of different ways to pull weight out of this plane, my goal is to get the weight down 30%.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I bought a kit over a year ago, still sitting in the box. Would love to get mine built as well. Maybe this winter. I am also planning on making mine electric.

jsknockoff

Mentor
It should be a fairly straight forward conversion. The only thing I noticed is that the cowling will need to be closed in on the nose with some triangle stock to shape for the spinner. Everything else seems pretty standard.