Snarls 250 Summer Quad - Performance ZMR Build

ExperimentalRC

Been flying this thing pretty fast lately. I tilted the camera 15-20 degrees and still had majority grass to look at so I will increase it more. I crashed twice today getting a little overconfident with flips, but the result was only one broken prop. One issue I keep fighting against is that my battery is slipping out in crashes. I know the forces are high, but I'm going to try some battery straps from Hovership as well as try to find some grippy material for the battery to sit on. Let me know what you guys do.

Any rubberized velcro strap would work. Getfpv has some in stock right now (220mm)

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
Let me know what you guys do.

I have a strip of velcro on my Blackout and on the batteries I use on it. That keeps the batteries from sliding around, and I use a battery strap to keep it secure. The Vortex has some grippy material that looks like the pads some people have on their dashboard to keep a phone from sliding around and is also secured with a battery strap. I haven't had a problem with batteries moving around on either.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
The Vortex has some grippy material that looks like the pads some people have on their dashboard to keep a phone from sliding around

Yeah that's the kind of material I think I'm going to look for at the store. I received my Hovership battery straps yesterday and they seem to hold the battery quite well.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I'm a huge fan of the aerosol plasti-dip for keeping batteries in place. I just spray it on cheap velcro and turn it into grippy velcro, or spray it on pads of craft foam to make them like the cell phone pad stuff.

I find more than 3 coats doesn't really add any extra grip. Reminds me though I need to spray a few more battery pads to replace the ones I lost in travel this past week and some more straps.

jipp

I'm a huge fan of the aerosol plasti-dip for keeping batteries in place. I just spray it on cheap velcro and turn it into grippy velcro, or spray it on pads of craft foam to make them like the cell phone pad stuff.

I find more than 3 coats doesn't really add any extra grip. Reminds me though I need to spray a few more battery pads to replace the ones I lost in travel this past week and some more straps.

iv not found the spray on yet.. i have a can of yellow dip plastic dip stuff on the shelf. unfortunately my battery wont go inside the can.. i should of measured before buying it. laughs.

chris.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
You can brush on the can stuff. I like the aerosol because it doesn't go hard in the can nearly as quick. Everytime I buy a can I get one or two little uses and then the whole thing goes solid before I use it again. The aerosol is about a year old and still works fine, judging by the weight of it I haven't used much of it yet either :)

I found it at walmart but I've seen it at big box hardware stores around here as well.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Good, I went to the hardware store today and picked up the aerosol Plasti-Dip, as well as some friction tape. I also have some rubber strips so tomorrow I will test all three for maximum grip.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Tested out some high speed flying with HQ props and some TPA to eliminate shakes at high throttle. Unfortunately I crashed doing flips on the first flight and my camera mount fell off. As a result I had to mount the GoPro directly onto the frame without any tilt. I found two trees on the side of the field and I also practiced basic and compound flips. It was also the first time I got strange looks for the large box on my head. Check out the video:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I've been reading the Cleanflight PID controller thread and decided to give PID 2, aka Luxfloat, a try. I did a custom motor mix for the ZMR and started from scratch. I read Joshuabardwell's tuning log on RCGroups (big ups to him) and tried to really understand my tuning on a deeper level, but it is still kind of guess and check for me. Despite this I managed to get a pretty solid tune going on. I am still adjusting rc rates to get a quick flip, but it flies great. Check out this video flying in my backyard:

One thing I do notice is that the quad bounces around a little on descent, but I'm not sure if that's just do to prop wash. Josh says a loss of attitude during descent is do to low I gain, bu my I gain seems pretty high. At times in the video the quad pitches up, but this is just because I have the camera angled way up and found myself taking up way too much speed in my crowded yard. Let me know what PID adjustments I should make if any. Thanks!

Here are my current PIDs if anyone is interested:
BestLux.jpg

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Thanks Cranial, yeah there's plenty of 'yard art' in the yard, but of course that means more things to hit :p

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Update. I have done some mods to improve my flying experience. I took Jhitesma's about the Plasti-dip and used it on a piece of craft foam to make a non-slip battery pad that I spray glued to the frame. I also tried the friction tape, but it was more unsightly and less durable. The battery now has a nice cushion to rest on and so far I have not had one slip out on me.

The other thing that was bothering me was the lens in my Quanum DIY fpv goggles. The lens is taped to a black frame that seems to just get in the way of the edges of the screen. I had wanted to upgrade to a larger lens without this frame, but I not motivated enough to order one online. Then one day I was buying some foam at Dollar Tree when I stumbled upon a large fresnel lens! It is the same magnification as one of the Quanum lens I was using (3 or 4x) To avoid having to use an obtrusive lens to hold the lens rigid, I decided to use a full rectangular piece of plexiglass and trimmed the lens to size. Plexiglass is clear so while it holds the lens you can not see it. I made some tabs for the end to adjust the lens once in the goggles. Note that you should paint the tabs black because light can travel through the plexiglass tabs and light up your goggles! So far with the new lens I feel that I can finally see all the edges of the screen.

One question I do have is if it is worth upgrading my 480TVL camera to something higher. The screen resolution is only 480px wide so I'm not sure a higher TVL camera will increase the detail I see. Perhaps I should upgrade the monitor as well.

battpad.jpg

IMG_2762.JPG

jipp

good idea about the foam. ill have to do that to my frame.

iv not done much in this hobby but pratice with my nano. i figure it wont be till the weather cools down before i even mess with my next project.. its just sitting on the desk waiting for me to order motors/ESC.

o well..
i guess its fair, our winter is our summer you guys will be in snow , we will be in the 80Fs
chris.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Well I have run out of HQ 6045 props and am not too keen on buying more because they are so expensive. Right now I have some Gemfan HQ 6045s in ABS and Nylon reinforced. The nylon reinforced look very similar to HQ 6045s, only noticeable difference being the central hub. I do not have the setup to do thrust and efficiency tests, but flying around the yard they sound like the HQs. I will have to do more testing to see how much vibrations they give and how they hold up in a crash. If they work well I will place an order for the bulk pack of Gemfan HQ 6045s on Hobbyking, but I'm not sure if I'll go with ABS or CRP which are $5 more.

Ocean

Well I have run out of HQ 6045 props and am not too keen on buying more because they are so expensive. Right now I have some Gemfan HQ 6045s in ABS and Nylon reinforced. The nylon reinforced look very similar to HQ 6045s, only noticeable difference being the central hub. I do not have the setup to do thrust and efficiency tests, but flying around the yard they sound like the HQs. I will have to do more testing to see how much vibrations they give and how they hold up in a crash. If they work well I will place an order for the bulk pack of Gemfan HQ 6045s on Hobbyking, but I'm not sure if I'll go with ABS or CRP which are $5 more.

I have found the gemfan ABS to be weak and to fracture, quite often mid air, I am now trying these "THuGPROPS". I haven't flown them yet, but they have a thick hub and their rigidity seems a touch less than HQ ABS, but significantly more than Gemfan Reinforced. They are also substantially cheaper than HQ, here in the UK i can get them 2.5 of them for every HQ. I will report back on how they perform when I next fly.

Darkback2

so 6045s fit on a zmr? I was looking and figured there was probably clearance but I wasn't sure. I would hate to start hitting things with props. So here is the question...

I am currently flying 5045s using 2206 2150kv motors. I figured the best way to really get a feel for what these motors could do would be to upgrade to 6045s...But here is the thing. I am a crap pilot. I fly relatively slow and crash quite a bit. My yard is a bit tight, but still...I'm not zooming around doing flips and stuff, and all of my crashing is with a Naza-m light in attitude control mode, so a computer is doing most of the work for me. In manual mode I can hardly hover and it really just ends up with me drifting the quad into a tree or something and tears and stuff...So...Would 6045s give me more control and power so that I could get out of trouble like when I take a corner too fast? Or would it just make me more likely to get into trouble by going too fast into corners and crashing before I even know I am in trouble?

DB

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I have found the gemfan ABS to be weak and to fracture, quite often mid air, I am now trying these "THuGPROPS". I haven't flown them yet, but they have a thick hub and their rigidity seems a touch less than HQ ABS, but significantly more than Gemfan Reinforced. They are also substantially cheaper than HQ, here in the UK i can get them 2.5 of them for every HQ. I will report back on how they perform when I next fly.

Yes please let me know how they perform. I would have to buy them internationally so I don't know what kind of extra fees I could incur, although buying from HK would be international, but I know what to expect there. The Gemfan HQ 6045 composites I have on now have a much thicker hub than the 6030s and are much stiffer. I need some more flights to confirm their performance. Miniquad specific props are still relatively new to the market so I think we are all still trying to decide where the best performance for the buck is.

Would 6045s give me more control and power so that I could get out of trouble like when I take a corner too fast? Or would it just make me more likely to get into trouble by going too fast into corners and crashing before I even know I am in trouble?

Yep there is just enough clearance for 6" props. Just make sure you have no loose wiring that can passes beyond the standoffs on the frame. I Have never used 5" props so I don't know what they feel like, but I've read the 6" props will give you more responsiveness. With more thrust you will definitely have more to work with to punch out from danger, and once you get a feel for the power you should be able to control your speed to suit your needs.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Ok some updates on my prop testing. I felt good about the Gemfan HQ 6045 Nylon reinforced props until I went out today and at least one prop broke mid flight. Another prop broke with it, but it may have been from the crash impact. I replaces the two and did some more flights and did not experience any failures mid flight. I did notice that the nylon props give my video quite a bit of jello and that I would break at least one even in lighter crashes.

I then decided to give the Gemfan HQ 6045 ABS props a chance. The are more flexible, but first flight with them felt really solid and my flips and rolls are better with them. The video had barely any jello, although this could be because some clouds made the sky darker, and I have only broken two so far, none of which separated in mid air. For some reason they are more durable than nylon reinforced so far.

Overall it looks like I will pick ordering bulk ABS props over CRP, even though I haven't used CRP, but I assume they are similar to the nylon reinforced. I may also pick up some of SurveilZones DAL "indestructable" 6045s to bash around.

Ocean let me know how those Thug props are such as in thrust, efficiency and durability compared to the Gemfans and HQs.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I'm still waiting on my props from surveilzone :( Almost 2 months since I ordered them. The original shipment came in quick, but only had 1 set of props and I had ordered 6 (or 8...I don't even remember anymore and am too lazy to look it up right now) they did send me some cheap 2.4ghz CP antennas I have no use for though. They said they'll resend my correct order...but I'm still waiting on that. When it hits 2 months from when they said they'd send it I'll contact them again about where they are....I'm sure they sent them the cheapest slowest method possible...but right now I'm not that impressed with surveilzone.

Though I will admit the one set they did send has taken a good bit of abuse and are holding up great. Even flew them into a pole, then crashed next to the pole and let the props beat against it a bit before I got the quad disarmed...and not even any white marks on them yet.

But they're only 5" props and I usually fly 6" on that frame and the sluggishness of the 5" are really apparent.

I still like the FC props as the best "bang for the buck". But ordering overseas from myrcmart or himodel (I haven't tried them from myrcmart yet but they look like the same ones.) means either expensive fast shipping or very slow cheap shipping - either way a big order is the only way to go. But at $0.61 per pair from himodel before shipping they're a great deal that perform almost as well as HQ's at a fraction of the price even if they don't hold up quite as well as HQ's and don't perform quite as well.

I did see at FF that detroit multirotor has the indestructible props here in the US. But he warned me that the 6" aren't nearly as tough as the 5". http://www.detroitmultirotor.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=77_79 If my order from surveilzone never shows I may break down and pick some up from him to try.