Something for the weekend - Jobs to do, projects to start.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
As a young man I use to memorise a list of all the tasks I needed to undertake for the coming week. As the week progressed, I would tick off completed tasks in my mind and add others, it was an on going process. By the time I reached weekend, I was ready with the next weeks list and I would start all over again.
These days I struggle to remember the simplest of things. I might have a task in mind, which requires me to go upstairs to the bedroom. By the time I have climbed the stairs and reached the landing, I can't remember why I went upstairs in the first place.
If your like me, then you probably reached the stage of writing your lists down these days or you save them on a phone or computer. Its a joke in my house that I constantly have lists on the go for everything.
So to my post:
I thought it would be interesting to list just my planned RC jobs and projects, for each week on a post and see how they progress. More importantly, how many I can get completed and ticked off before the next week commences.
So here goes - Weekend commencing 4th of December.
Task 1. Commence updating the Firmware on my FRsky X6R and X8R receivers - I have a mixed collection of Firmware versions on the same style of receiver. I prefer to have them all identical, so each model is operating with the same firmware on the transmitter. These are some of the versions in use: Version 1, Version 2, LBT and FCC.
Stage 1 - Make up a firmware upgrade lead. I can carry out the update through the TX16s but need a dedicated lead.
Stage 2 - List all my X series receivers in use, and which firmware version they use at present.
Stage 3 - Populate an Excel spreadsheet with the status of each Receiver.
Stage 4 - Copy the latest Firmware version to my TX16s transmitter SD card.
Stage 5 - Carry out an initial test on a selected receiver, to confirm the process works.
Stage 6 - Update each receiver sequentially, then modify the transmitter info for each model that uses these receivers.
Task 2. Test fly the modified 3ch Tiny Trainer, using the 700mAh 3S battery. If the flights successful, fabricate a plastic canopy to cover the battery and improve the aerodynamics.
Task 3. Commence repair and upgrade of the cowl for Edge 540. Develop a means of retaining the cowl in place, but with a detachable option rather than fixed.
Task 4. Re-align and secure the motor for the Edge 540, eliminate any down thrust associated with the previous powerpod repair.

There you have it, 4 RC related tasks to complete. Hopefully, as the week progresses I can stay focused and provide regular updates on the progress, completion or any delays.
Please feel free to use the post and add your list own list of tasks/jobs and projects for the coming week.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
That sounds like a good plan. Look forward to seeing footage of the P40 and arrow flying, the zero not so much its just started Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence off again in my head again o_O

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Not done anything I planned for last weekend, or this week for that matter.
My wife's nephew recently got diagnosed with cancer, in the form of a tumor on the brain. They operated 2 weeks ago and said they got 95% of the tumor, with radiation treatment and chemo therapy it was looking promising.
However, on Saturday we received a message that the diagnosis has changed and now sadly he only has between 3 weeks to a month to live. He has still been offered the radiation and chemo therapy but it will only extend his life up to 18 months.
Pretty devastating news for a guy of 42, the family are obviously devastated. In fact we are still getting over the loss my mother-in-law who passed away in March this year.
I will be browsing posts and commenting from time to time, but probably wont be building or repairing for a while.

daxian

Elite member
My wife's nephew recently got diagnosed with cancer, in the form of a tumor on the brain. They operated 2 weeks ago and said they got 95% of the tumor, with radiation treatment and chemo therapy it was looking promising.
However, on Saturday we received a message that the diagnosis has changed and now sadly he only has between 3 weeks to a month to live. He has still been offered the radiation and chemo therapy but it will only extend his life up to 18 months.
Pretty devastating news for a guy of 42, the family are obviously devastated. In fact we are still getting over the loss my mother-in-law who passed away in March this year.
I will be browsing posts and commenting from time to time, but probably wont be building or repairing for a while.
sad news ...for one so young ...i was diagnosed in late october (lung) but i am nearly seventy ...feel your pain !

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Doesn't matter how old you are, its a cruel disease and has no respect for age. I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis I had no idea, are you having treatment at present ?
I myself am waiting for a hospital appointment regarding my right eye. The optician referred me to the hospital for further testing, if I'm lucky its just narrowing of the optic nerve or glaucoma, as I have excessive pressure in that eye.
I still have my left eye so can't complain, but probably will mean my flying days are over I will have to stick to building planes or go back to fishing.
Its been a particularly bad year all round and a lot of people have suffered sadness within their families. Lets hope next year is a more positive one.

SSgt Duramax

I understand. I lost my father to cancer. Our prayers will be with you all.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Thanks I appreciate the sentiments. I also lost my father to cancer, after a long battle so have gone through the same. Sadly these days not many families escape without losing at least one loved one to Cancer.
Yeah, I know quite a few people who had cancer.
But I don’t think cancer will get me. It will be the revolution.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Yeah, I know quite a few people who had cancer.
But I don’t think cancer will get me. It will be the revolution.

That's the sad part of this disease, people never think it will happen to them. Sometimes its ignorance that catches you out - ignoring symptoms and signs, thinking its probably nothing. With others its complacency, "yes I heard that chemical had risks, but so what I am fit and healthy", or "That lump", "nah its probably nothing, I've had it ages it doesn't bother me".

The people I feel sorry for are the ones who suddenly find out they have it, but had no clue or signs before hand. The most tragic part is when they find out they have Cancer. They are also told, there is nothing that can be done for them.

I am one of the guilty ones, I've been ignorant and complacent for years. I kept putting off going for an eye test, knowing I was having problems with my sight. Finally after years of nagging from my wife and other members of my family, I decided to go and get tested. Hopefully I haven't left it too late, otherwise I may end up paying for my complacency.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I am saying I am so young that I don’t think it will happen, especially with the coming revolution. My chances of dying in that are much higher then my chances of getting cancer before then. Also I have read about cancer and the ways to prevent it. I try not to sleep close to my phone and keep it away from my body as much as possible. I also stay away from X-rays.
I have extensive knowledge about radio because I am a ham. And I know how cancer is cause. So I try not to get it and that is the best I can do.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Anyway on a slightly brighter note I finally got to tick some items off my list today.
Stage 1 - I finally made up a FRsky receiver firmware lead.
Stage 2 - I've listed all my X series receivers in use, and which firmware version they use at present.

Good news is both my X6R receivers are FCC - D16 firmware, as are the majority of my X8R receivers.
That is with the exception of two receivers:
1) is running LBT (EU) - D16 firmware, so that will need an update to the FCC version.
2) is running the latest FCC D16 Ver. 2 firmware, which I won't bother changing as it appears to be working fine at present.
This means I only have one receiver to update the LBT version. The other receivers are working fine with the older Pre V2.x.x FCC firmware, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Stage 3 - As I now have all my FRsky X series receiver information. I can now add this to a spread sheet, in my Excel folder. I compiled it as a data base, with all my models. So at a glance I can check what Motor, ESC, Prop, battery and receiver etc each model uses.
Very handy for an absent minded old git like me.
Stage 4 - I downloaded the latest v2.1.0 an previous v2.xx versions of the firmware to my PC, it still needs transferring to my TX16s transmitter SD card.
Stage 5 - The update of the LBT receiver will be a test and update all in one, still to be completed though.
Stage 6 - No longer needed, as I only have one receiver to update.
Tasks 2, 3 and 4 nothing done with them, weather was to bad this week for any flying due to storms. I've had no enthusiasm at present to progress the Edge so that could end up being shelved until New Year.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am saying I am so young that I don’t think it will happen, especially with the coming revolution. My chances of dying in that are much higher then my chances of getting cancer before then. Also I have read about cancer and the ways to prevent it. I try not to sleep close to my phone and keep it away from my body as much as possible. I also stay away from X-rays.
I have extensive knowledge about radio because I am a ham. And I know how cancer is cause. So I try not to get it and that is the best I can do.
A healthy diet, healthy life style and regular exercise are common recommendations.
However, its also a well documented fact that taking canabis oil has proven to reduce cancer growth and in some cases eradicated some cases of secondary cancer.
I hope your not using this as a preventative cure ?

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
A healthy diet, healthy life style and regular exercise are common recommendations.
However, its also a well documented fact that taking canabis oil has proven to reduce cancer growth and in some cases eradicated some cases of secondary cancer.
lol

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Yep I check all of those boxes exempt for cannabis oil 🤣🤣🤣

daxian

Elite member
Doesn't matter how old you are, its a cruel disease and has no respect for age. I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis I had no idea, are you having treatment at present ?
I myself am waiting for a hospital appointment regarding my right eye. The optician referred me to the hospital for further testing, if I'm lucky its just narrowing of the optic nerve or glaucoma, as I have excessive pressure in that eye.
I still have my left eye so can't complain, but probably will mean my flying days are over I will have to stick to building planes or go back to fishing.
Its been a particularly bad year all round and a lot of people have suffered sadness within their families. Lets hope next year is a more positive one.
yes to treatment ,3rd dose in a weeks time, six hours with a drip in my arm !
not going to be fun this xmas....
+1 for pos next year...

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Good luck with the treatments, I know they are not pleasant but hopefully they will be worth it in the end ;)(y).
As for Christmas, I have worked nearly every Christmas day or night shift over the last 10 years, its just another day. Enjoy the rest of your days through the year and treat them like Christmas instead :)
We are going away for a short weekend break by the coast tomorrow (just the immediate family + dog), it makes up for me not being at home Christmas night and my wife working Christmas eve. At least this year I get New Years eve and day off (very rare).