Spitfire on Steroids!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Having some of you are following me both on this project and the FTFC22 Build Raury Challenge then it's best I post an update about this project before going on to the FTFC22 challenge.

Here are all the last steps of what I have done until now.
1) I have the wing supporters that help the wing stay straight every you put them on.
View attachment 218610

2) I have added foamboard doublers to the inside of the wooden support piece that I have create at my friend's place and then later mounted at home.
View attachment 218611 View attachment 218612

3) Next up was adding the BBQ skewers for the rubber bands to mount onto. I installed the thickest BBQ skewers that I could find. I was actually kinda debating what to do here between have some sort of screw mechanism like you see on balsa models or using plain old simple rubber bands. As you see I ended going with the cheap, plain and simple :). Getting the BBQ skewers through was a little bit of a pain in the butt and I had to use a drilling tool to make the initial hole through the wooden piece.
View attachment 218613 View attachment 218614

Quick glance of it set up again and compared to it's brother the 238% scale of the Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer.
View attachment 218615 View attachment 218616

4) Because of it's size and the fact that the wings are on the bottom this plane would be hard to hand launch let alone by myself so I have decided that it need a set of wheels, and not just front wheels and a tail dragger as I would normally do. Searching the forum and FliteTest website and came across this which I liked:
. Scaled it up and started working, sorry I didn't really document that part of the build but I really just copied the video and it went together quite well even when scaled up.
View attachment 218617 View attachment 218618 View attachment 218619 View attachment 218620

5) I had to connect the control surfaces to the 9g servos that I have mounted on the tail and wings. Starting with the elevator and rudder I have faced deflection issues where the control surface wasn't moving in one direction. At first I thought it's related to the servos that I am using which couldn't move such big control surface especially since the fuselage is built out of 10mm FB. So I went out hunting for bigger and stronger servos, which by chance a friend and college from work had at home so with out further ado I made sure to get them. After playing around with them hand held I have realized that the servos might also be a problem but my main problem is actually the pushrods that I was using they were bending when the servo arm was going in one direction the same direction in which the control surface had zero deflection. Not having thicker pushrods that can fit in my 9g servo control arms that were still installed in the plane. To solve my issue I have come up with a different solution! I used some ~2.5mm carbon fiber rod that I had laying around and connected to either side of it the thin pushrods that I had using some CA and hot shrinks to get this. Testing it with the installed 9g servos proved that the wire was the main issue so to save weight I have decided not to swap out the servo as well and stick to what was installed. I also used bigger control horns obviously scaled according to the rest of the plane. On the wings I didn't seem to have this issues because the pushrods there were shorter as I mounted the servos differently that on the original model and they ended being closer to the control surface itself.
View attachment 218621 View attachment 218622 View attachment 218623 View attachment 218624 View attachment 218625 View attachment 218626

6) Last thing I did on the model and this is also where I am stuck or on hold call whatever you like it the installation of the front wheel set. First thing to mention about this is that I originally planned to install the front wheel support before folding up the wing which should have possibly given it more strength but I forgot to do it, so I ended up doing it exactly as shown in the video. The first thing that I did was cut slots down in the wings and built the supporters exactly as in the video measuring things to my scale. The only difference was that I only cut out supporting pieces to sit on top of main plate rather than cutting a full sized piece with a groove on it for the wheel mount to go into. The hardest part in this was cutting and bending my 4mm steel wire to the size and shape that I wanted. I ended up having to heat on the stove to get it to a point where I can bend it with my pliers. Luckily I was also clever enough to use a BBQ glove which actually saved my hand cause the wire was super hot to a point that even under running water it still took it a while to cool down. It all still needs to be glued to place but this is how it should look. Cause it was so hard to cut the wire I went out to get a saw for it to make it easier to cut.
View attachment 218627 View attachment 218628 View attachment 218629 View attachment 218630 View attachment 218631 View attachment 218632 View attachment 218633
View attachment 218638

View attachment 218634 View attachment 218635 View attachment 218636

Is it too high? Cause it feels a bit unstable wiggling it from side to side.

To sum up this post this is what I still have to do.
1) decide if I want to make the front wheels holders shorter or not. Think I’ll measure it out according to the proper that I want to use. Also need to get gorilla glue for this.
2) to decide if I want to use the motor that I have installed that can pull 2.1kg or get a new one that can pull 5kg. This will obviously mean that I need a stronger esc and bigger prop. I am leaning towards getting a different motor cause I don’t only want to get airborne I want speed as well.
3) paint this beast, and I haven’t decided how just yet.

What’s your thoughts about the height of the front wheels? The motor issue? The paint scheme?

Let me know…

I would leave it up high like that. At most maybe spread them a touch wider so the stance is not so wobbly. I made the landing gear on my Edge where the plane sat nearly level and it would not leave the ground. You want that up like that so the wings can product the lift to rotate it up off the ground.

Check out my Edge build starting at post 49 where I learned this very lesson. all the knowledgeable guys helped teach me where I went wrong trying to make it level thinking it would take off like a high wing tail dragger where the tail pops up and THEN you can rotate.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/psyborgs-edge-540-build-log.54757/page-3

mayan

Legendary member
I would leave it up high like that. At most maybe spread them a touch wider so the stance is not so wobbly. I made the landing gear on my Edge where the plane sat nearly level and it would not leave the ground. You want that up like that so the wings can product the lift to rotate it up off the ground.

Check out my Edge build starting at post 49 where I learned this very lesson. all the knowledgeable guys helped teach me where I went wrong trying to make it level thinking it would take off like a high wing tail dragger where the tail pops up and THEN you can rotate.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/psyborgs-edge-540-build-log.54757/page-3
Thanks bud. Spreading them apart would be a little more difficult I haven’t made up my mind yet though.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Here's a few warbird schemes that might help!
Some more... less helpful war birds

1644606441662.png
1644606363274.png
1644606483955.png
1644606392490.png

@mayan, the build looks great!

mayan

Legendary member
Sorry it took so long for an update about this but I had some thinking to do around this huge project :). I had to figure out what motor I was going to use to get the performance I was looking for. I had to find the right prop for the motor. And I had to figure out what battery set up I was going to use to get the CG right based on the motor that I decided on using. The first decision that I had to make was what motor I was going to use, and what I’ve decided to do is get a new motor which can carry between 3 to 5 kg depending on the set up. This motor can use props ranging between 14 to 16 depending on the battery I’m gonna be using. I think that I will get the best performance using a four cell battery and a 16 or 15 inch prop. The motor itself weighs about 500 g so I need to find a way to get the battery back because on the original model it’s quite forward. I also have to place the wheels back on the wings and measure the prop clearance, hopefully I won’t have to make any changes to the landing gear wire because it was hell to bend. If you all recall I was a little worried about the stabilization but after measuring things out for the proper clearance I’ll be able to be and make a smarter decision. At least I finally found the brown gorilla glue I was looking for so I can now glue the the landing gear in place. Will probably be doing that in the next few days.
EE670827-2118-4D88-98E5-BE3945A70D09.jpeg

I also got to do some paint job on this and add some decals but I need to hit an art shop in order to get some supplies for that so hopefully also that will happen in the next few days. As you might’ve read in another post that I recently written I am a little short on funds atm so I’m holding off on getting the motor, prop and ESC setup needed to fly the plane. Will hopefully be able to do that in a month or two. Anyhow in the meantime I’ll be mimicking the motor weight checking the proper clearance and checking out the balance point so that I’ll be able to get it ready ASAP waiting only on my ability to order the electronics. i’ve been told that patients hasn’t killed anybody and that hesitation is from the devil so I’ll be patient and wait for the time to be right. I think that’s that and in terms of an update and I’ll be sure to update you more in the next few days once I’m able to do all the checks I’ve just mentioned above.

mayan

Legendary member
Sorry for keeping you all waiting so long... Life just got in the way...
Any how about this same time last year I started this huge project. I thought it was going to be easy considering I have already built a big project, but boy was I wrong. It ended up being more complicated than I thought and more time consuming then I thought. As time passed I realised that I will also need some different electronics which had to be ordered up. This all got me pretty much delayed and eventually also caught up in so many different RC related projects.

From here to there I think it's about time to post the first video about this project and I really do promise that the next update and video won't wait so long as this one did:).

mayan

Legendary member
Alright so I am almost done preping the 200% FT Spitfire for a maiden flight.
Here are a few changes that I recently did.
1) changed the motor I originally had put on it (3542 1400Kv) into something bigger (5065 320Kv)
2) did a paint job on it.

You can check all that out in this video.

I also made a another change which hasn't been put into this video, and that is change the small 9g MG servos which I had on with huge MG servos that are more suitable for this sized plane (will be on the next video, the last before a maiden flight live).

Besides this change here are the last things that I have to finish before that live maiden flight which I have planned for the 21/10 (time is still to be decided). What time would work best for you?
1) Connect the ESC
2) Connect the receiver and hook everything up to the TX
3) Do a test run
4) Add decals.

mayan

Legendary member
Hey people getting ready for a maiden on this big bad boy and want to host a live on YouTube of the maiden on the 21/10 when would be the best time for you :)?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Between 8pm and 11pm EDT for this east coast user. I realize that is first thing in the AM for you

If I don't see it live, best of luck.

mayan

Legendary member
Hey everyone seems like it will be super difficult to be able to get the time right for everyone, so i will apologize in advance if I won't be able to get everyone on for the live. I am thinking to maybe do it in the afternoon which might be better for you all but maybe less for myself.

How many of you plan to be on, if I do it in the afternoon.

MacClarkNC

Did you maiden? Video? I am not much for live video feeds due to scheduling but have been following this thread and would like to see the final result. Thank you for the effort you have put into this.