StevensAero microMAX 103 Build Thread

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
With cooler weather in our future, I'm getting the indoor flyer bug again and dug this little beauty out of the future project pile. The microMAX 103 is a semi-scale indoor model of the Team Mini Max home built kit plane.

microMAX_450 258.jpg

The balsa kit is of exceptional quality with smart design choices and perfect laser cutting as one expects from Steven's Aeromodel. https://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAero-microMAX-103-Laser-Cut-Micro-RC-Kit.html

The basic fuse went together quickly without need for pinning or clamping and is just waiting on arrival of the right motor and gear box (the one I had on had uses a stick mount instead of the pillow block style).

2016-11-02 17.23.23.jpg

I have always built with pins on foam board before, but all this talk of magnetic work surfaces on the forums lately has me trying new things (it's all your fault Joker :) )

2016-11-02 23.04.36.jpg

Being a cheap old coot, my first metal building surface is a flat cookie sheet that's been exiled to the shop, and a handful of magnets I had on hand. I really like how simple it is to get good clamping pressure, and to make adjustments as I'm gluing up or adding parts.

This obviously isn't going to be big enough for anything other than indoor flyers, but it's been a good place to start tonight. I'll be picking up a larger piece of sheet metal, ordering a set of 90 degree sandwich magnets, and maybe getting a set of jigs from Laine's Planes too.

My goal is to have this plane finished in time for a local indoor fly-in in two weeks, so expect rapid updates on this thread :)

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Looking good! I wish I could build some balsa planes, I could easily do it but my flying field is a rock filled stubbly paddock. not all that good on covering film methinks. ;) Watching with interest.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I've seen some really nice magnet jigs people 3D print. Makes me want to try that as well!

If you find the files for some you'd like printed I can probably make them for you. The makerspace in the FDL library supplies filament for free.

:cool:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
If you find the files for some you'd like printed I can probably make them for you. The makerspace in the FDL library supplies filament for free.

:cool:

Not to hijack a build thread, but this is related to building so it's fair game! :) Here's a link to a number of different jigs used on magnetic building boards:

http://www.thingiverse.com/tag:magnetic_building

All have potential to really help hold the balsa while building, and I saw a guy posting plenty of pictures on FaceBook showing how he uses them. The more I work with balsa, the more ways I can see just how useful these could be, especially the little orange ones which are designed to hold down four different thicknesses of balsa. I'm not sure what size magnet they use, but it'd be worth finding a source for them.

If you want to print them, I can supply you with magnets for your trouble. PM me if you like.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ooooohhhh... time to fire up the printer!!

I also found some really cool laser cut ones over at http://retrorc.us.com/buildingjigsystem.aspx - the "Bill's Fingers" and "Bills Thumbs" clamps are very neat looking and use easy to find 1/4" magnets.

And I did make a more progress on the wings tonight before running out of thin CA - and wouldn't you know, what I thought was a spare bottle of CA turned out to be a bottle of debonder. Must be a sign to go to bed. :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
More progress the last couple nights.

Getting ready for fuse and tail covering now.
2016-11-06 13.20.04.jpg

Instructions warn the bottom access points need to be left open until the servo controls are all in place
2016-11-06 13.20.14.jpg

I picked up a $10 metal clad shelf from Ikea that's working even better as a build surface now, and tore apart a 3 pound diving weight bag to made some little pellet bags. I knew I'd have a use for all those RC parts ziplock bags I was saving :)

Right now I've sprayed the wings with a little glass cleaner and weighted them down flat to remove a little twisting.

2016-11-06 13.19.41.jpg

Next up - covering and paint!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I have some Coverlite left over from another project in both red and white. It requires a coat of balsarite on both the model and the covering before it can be activated with an iron. I'm hoping with more practice I can get better results than the last time too :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I have some of that covering as well, given to me at a swap meet. I haven't tried it before and will watch your work with interest.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
When I used it on the tail of my Flying Flea last winter I found it more difficult that the StevensAeromodel SoLite, but I'm hoping that by following all the directions this time it will be easier :) http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?23077-Scale-Build-Off-Mignet-HM-14-Flying-Flea

On my first use of the covering I only read about half of the instruction sheet, and therefore only put balsarite on the balsa model - but a coat should be allowed to dry on the Coverlite too. The covering still attached to the model, but it was a pain in the butt to get it to stick.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Pre-covering painting almost complete, balsa and CoverLite all covered in a coat of Balsarite adhesive.

2016-11-07 23.11.06.jpg

I am going to try to match the wing covering pattern from the model on the website, which will require stepping up my covering game. So far I've only done single color covering on a piece - this will require laying down a second color on top of the first to make the cool triangle patterns. According to the plans, I'll be laying down a white trim piece over the red wing covering, which has me a little concerned about color bleed through. But hey - if it looks horrible I can always pull it up and try again! :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So the covering color test looks great for both red over white and white over red.

IMAG0027.jpg

Unfortunately the red paint I used on the undercamber of the wing dried pink which is a 'look', but perhaps not the one I was trying for on this build. Not afraid of pink - very proud to have been a part of the Hello Kitty plane - but it's just not working for me on this plane. :)

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
IMAG0026_1.jpg

And here is the white over red - really expected more color bleed through on this, but the Coverlite is doing a great job on the opacity front!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Not quite as pretty as the model on the website, but I'm very happy with how it's turning out!
IMAG0030_1.jpg

Really happy with these magnetic hold downs from RetroRC
IMAG0031_1.jpg

And the big square ones are handy too
IMAG0029_1.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ready for maiden flight!

And here she is, all dressed up and ready to go to the dance! :applause:

2016-11-13 00.44.43.jpg

2016-11-13 00.44.56.jpg

2016-11-13 00.45.16.jpg

2016-11-13 00.45.32.jpg

I'm very happy with how the covering turned out - looks very much like the model used in the product photos. There's only one spot on the covering where I ended up with a wrinkle that bugs me, but it's not big enough to be worth peeling the wing.

Again I give https://www.stevensaero.com/ the highest marks for kit design - this was a lot of fun and very straight forward to build. Instructions are excellent, lots of pictures and clear text in understandable english. Parts are cut cleanly and straight, and designed with notches and tabs so that everything can lock in place by itself - truly self aligning.

Next up is taking her out to fly this weekend at a local indoor flying event. Stay tuned for the flight report!