Sunnysky Motors

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Which wires? The windings can't be cut or the motor won't work anymore. Are you thinking of shortening the leads that run to the motor? Those can be shortened with no problem at all. Just be aware that if the leads are made from magnet wire, there will be a clear(ish) insulating coating on it that will need to be removed before soldering for a good connection.

Last edited:

crlock

Which wires? The windings can't be cut or the motor won't work anymore. Are you thinking of shortening the leads that run to the motor?

Allright, i did some digging.
there is a couple of things to take in account when shortening the wires
Check if the wires that come out of the motor can are part of the windings, how to tell? if they are stiff, they probably are, if they are silicon covered and soft, they probably are just attached to the windings inside the motor. Why this is important you ask? well because if the wires are actually part of the windings, you may mess up the timing of the signal and and ruin the motor.
If you cut them, make sure that the length of the wires is the same, otherwise you may again, mess up the motor signal timing

so i'm now going to cut them, i'll tell you how it goes.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Sometimes there's a bit of black shrink holding the motor wires,

144.jpg

but some motors have the wires apart at departure from the motor.

1094.jpg

However, those wires are attached inside the motors, so cutting them outside the motor is 'ok'.

The catch is, you still need to attach new wiring to them, and soldering too close to the motor can possibly cause heat issues inside the motor and melt or degrade the winding insulation.

If you're concerned with the bullets being too far from the motors, or you don't want to use bullets at all and want to have a one long wire off the motor, I would suggest not cutting any closer than 25mm from where the wire leaves the motor. And even at that distance, make the connection quick so the heat does not propagate up the wire into the motor.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
The difference is one is a newer version although I'm still yet to see the difference. I have the 980kv's on my tricopter and they are really nice.