taranis spectrum module question.

jipp

hey guys is this the module taranis owners use to fly BNF spectrum park flyers, quads.. nano qx etc.. along with the spectrum RX, and orange/lemon brand RX too. this seems to also do walker, devo? seems like quite a lot for your buck for this module.. im pretty sure the taranis takes JR module.s. unfortunately, there are a lot of modules for the taranis radio. most of them i have no clue what they are intended to do yet..

also is there a good source for taranis info? iv given up on trying to read rc groups thread on it..... way to much text to sift through to get to the meat and potatoes..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OrangeRX-OR...Module-for-JR-Spektrum-Walkera-/231608452584?
chris.,

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
This is a HobbyKing Product so make sure to check out the reviews and information there

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ransmitter_Module_JR_Turnigy_Compatible_.html

I think this is fairly new. I don't remember seeing it last time I looked. The protocol capabilities seem nice. The reviews indicate the range might be a bit dubious.

As to working with the Taranis, it's a JR module so I think it should work. Probably most people that have used an Orange module have the older version that doesn't claim Walkera "DEVO" support.

jipp

thanks. looks like it is the module.. and the taranis indeed uses the JR style.. will have to get one. there us a mod i have read where you use the parts from a DX5, or 4.. and then the spectrum protocol is just built inside via toggle. probably a much cleaner . but i do not have a dx5.. i guess this mod is more for people who first radio was a dx5, then here next radio was a taranis.. my first radio was a hitec optic 6 FM.. * great radio *, but.... it was fm.. i did not know any better, hah. then my second radio was a dx6.. so this module is the way to go for me. cant say i will ever own a devon,walker quad...... now if hudson used that protocal.. could be usefull id pickup one of them to compare to the nano.. reason i have not is because of the TX the hudson comes with.
chris.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Looks like that will work Chris. I think that's the same module you can buy for the Turnigy 9X. Here is a good article about doing the mod with an old spektrum radio like you said.

I did some testing the other weekend and confirmed that my Turnigy 9X has range issues, and it's not from the RX or a bad module (although I could be hooking up the module wrong, but it is unlikely). That means I'm about to jump on the Taranis bandwagon. Like you, I want access to spektrum protocol to use LemonRX Sats and other cheaper receivers. I have an extra OrangeRX DIY module so I'm planning on buying or 3D printing a case and making myself a self contained module.

jipp

Looks like that will work Chris. I think that's the same module you can buy for the Turnigy 9X. Here is a good article about doing the mod with an old spektrum radio like you said.

I did some testing the other weekend and confirmed that my Turnigy 9X has range issues, and it's not from the RX or a bad module (although I could be hooking up the module wrong, but it is unlikely). That means I'm about to jump on the Taranis bandwagon. Like you, I want access to spektrum protocol to use LemonRX Sats and other cheaper receivers. I have an extra OrangeRX DIY module so I'm planning on buying or 3D printing a case and making myself a self contained module.

hi sam. thanks for the info.. thats a bummer about your radio having range issues.. its always cool to upgrade.. but it sorta sucks when you have to upgrade sooner than you planned.

ill book mark the webpage you gave me. i turned 41 on the 17ths. and my little sister spoiled me.. she ordered me a taranis.. should be here by next week (im excited, as you can imagine.. 300.00 is a lot of money for me up front..with out budgeting etc.. being disabled.. id have to plan, eat top ramen, and i had put a 100.00 away this month as i was planing on getting one next month.. but my little sis decided to surprise me.... so im very grateful.. also a little mad at sis for spending so much money on me tho.. sigh. my sister and I are close tho, i raised her.. if it was not for my accident i would not know my sis or have the close relation ship we have.. as we are 12 years apart in age.. im very proud of her, she is married ( 7 years now ), 2 kids oldest just turn 5 last month.. brand new house, a good husband, even if he picked the worse job possible.. he is a school teacher.. im very proud of my sis.. im the loser in the family these days.., but she loves me for some reason. laughs ). im not sure how my sister knew what to get me.. iv not mention anything in great detail.. she knows of my hobby, and going to try FPV etc. but i did not want to bore her so you know i did not go into much detail.. just kept it simple, and she is excited to go for a ride via video feed. anyhow, i got the email dis morning say my order is being processed... so i had to call my sister to figure out what was going on..

so yeah i just want to make sure the orange/lemon BNF are coverd.. because i wont have any RX>. sure ill have the RX that comes with the TX.. she bought me the aluminum case bundle.. battery charger, RX, strap, etc..

so i figure if i buy the module.. i can use my lemon RX up front.. while i learn what RX i will need.. and to be honest get some experience with the TX.

my sister spoiled me.. :)
chris.

Spastickitten

I use the orangerx module and it seems to work fine, but I would try to support the board inside, the antenna can cause the board to break off of it solder pads and stop working. I have a module that stops working sometimes, but I ran it without an antenna for a while so that might be the cause. You can bind multiple models as long as they are all one protocol, dsm2 or dsmx. If you transfer from one to the other, you will need to rebind every time you change protocols. It works great if you use the lemonrx receivers.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
you mean Hubsan as in the X4? I have the 107C...fun. Not sure what protocol it uses. I did see it discussed somewhere and I think in the context of Deviation and the DEVO radios but it may require wiring in a different transmitter module. Have to poke around again.

I like that DIY Spektrum module but yes you need to find a cheap/free DX4e or DX5e to do it otherwise it's a bit expensive. I think it may work better and be more integrated than the Orange once you are done though. If you use the JR case for the module it certainly looks better.

jipp

yeah a bit expensive for now unless i find a cheap dx.. im gonna go ahead and order the JR orange module. i have that 100.00 i had put aside to buy a taranis for christmas next month. thanks for the tip to keep a eye on the antenna.. and yeah you probably did do damage to it if you gave it power with out the antenna attached.

so ill spend 50.00 for the module so i can use my lemon RX for now. now if my FC would get here from china. sigh. i hate having a 100.00 out there floating around, and the official seller wont even respond to my emails. if you want a sparky II be sure to buy it from a USA dealer, or FPVMODEL.com hell they have great customer service.. even emails to make sure you are happy after a sale..

but i bought it from the official dealer thinking i was supporting the right merchant.. but if my experience is the norm.. i would say buy it from anyone else but him. so i will do my sparky II dance.. maybe it will arrive today.

i have RCX 2205, CC3D FC, and a Sparky II FC coming any day i hope. then i can start my projects.. im getting excited to start building. heh.

chris.

(yeah the hudson x4.)

ok that was a quick 50.00, heh err i mean.. 47.73, could of saved a few bucks through hobby king but then id have to wait since they do not have it in the usa store.. anyhow,
i figure i will use the RX that the TX comes with the AP build come spring. as it will do all that fancy stuff, that a AP build will want.. im pretty sure its to big for a mini quad build. heh.. thanks for all your guys advice.. i look forward to learning all i can.

Last edited:

HilldaFlyer

The main reason I made the DIY DSM2/DSMX module
http://flitetest.com/articles/spektrofy-your-taranis

is because the OrangeRx module doesn't have model memory. With the transmitter from a Spektrum Rx will have that capability. I kept looking at Craigslist and Ebay for a long time. There are also some hobby auctions in the area and I looked for a unit the someone had dropped etc. Eventually I found one on Craig's list to use. Keep your eyes open!

I discovered this past month that the DIY module in the Taranis has a 20 model memory (1-20). If you are binding models, save positions 1-20 for Spektrum products and use >21 for FrSky Rx.

jipp

hi david.. thank you so much for the feed back.. i will be sure to save the 1 - 20 spots for spectrum products.
i will keep a eye out for a beat up dx5 for dirt cheap ( i will keep my dx6i until i know i do not needed it, then ill give it to someone who needs a radio.. i know what its like starting from scratch.. so im all for giving :) . i bought the orange module to get me by for now.. i can always re sell it down the road once i do the internal spectrum mod. i plan on tinkering with this radio.. i see they offering a bunch of cool stuff to hotrod it if you will.. stronger springs, cnc aluminum parts that make the gimbals feel better? i know i know probably not needed.. but i use to be a gear head i could never leave a engine alone.. i sorta feel that is what the taranis is. laughs.. my first mods will be the analog stick attached behind the throttle ( i just need to buy a spare taranis back cover.. so i do not destroy the original ). so i can use it to control a gimbal.. seems like a good idea to me.. i originally was gonna just use the side sliders to move a gimbal.. but a 12.00 mod seems like it be more useful.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frsky-Tarai...477388?hash=item35f408b28c:g:HUYAAOSwQPlV8gGC
and i guess the second mod will be the speaker upgrade.. im not sure if a atenna upgrade is really needed.. but dang, they offer so many upgrades for this little radio.

and i found out how my sister knew what to get me... seems she was talking with my brother.. go figure.

also is this the RX you guys use for quads? seems to support telemetry and all that stuff and be small enough for mini quads?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221917074827?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
the one the taranis comes with i think is to big for a mini quad and i will use that withe the spring AP build.

so much to learn.. i really wish i was smarter sometimes.. would make things easier :D( heh.